follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
S1owJam

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry 30,000 Mile Service Woes (Rant ITT)

So I just took my car up to Jones Subaru for the 30,000 mile service, and had a pretty crazy time while explaining to the service guy (who was really nice and understanding the whole time) the issues I had with their "required maintenance schedule". I went in expecting the typical ~$350-$400 service fees, but come to find out it was going to be ~$600. After doing some research into what exactly was the purpose for the ridiculous price for a 30k service, they determined it to be completely because of spark plug replacement (3.5 hours @ $125/hour + ~$75 for plugs). He tried to tell me that because the car was more of a performance car, the plugs (iridium-tipped) needed to be changed more often. I called bullshit and showed him the Subaru service schedule, and he pretty much said he would take care of it and get the service manager there to remove the spark plug replacement, bringing the service back down to ~$375-$400.

Funny thing is, I asked him to pull up the 30k service charge for a base model '12 Impreza since my wife has one, and it was exactly the same price, to the dollar. The spark plugs were supposed to be changed on that one too, so I'm going to have to figure that one out as well and make the same fight.

I completely understand the need to ensure the motor is running at 100% as long as possible given their lifetime engine warranty, but if doing it at the expense of the customer by unnecessary maintenance, it's completely not worth it, and I could see the service guy seemed to agree with my points.

Anyway, just got off the phone with him, and the car's about done, so it looks like they worked everything out and didn't do the spark plug replacement. It's sad when service departments feed on the lack of knowledge of customers. I even called the Hunt Valley of Subaru to check their prices for the service, and they said the exact same thing, ~$650. Seems like Heritage is the only ones around here that are conducting maintenance as recommended by Subaru, their cost was ~$475 for the job though, so something there was causing the prices to go up.

/rant
S1owJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Why are you changing iridium spark plugs out at 30k miles? I've never heard of them needing to be replaced that early. The service manuals say they should be replaced at 60k miles. Even that I feel is too early. Usually iridium are good until closer to 100k miles
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
infinite012 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
suaveflooder

Here, straight from the maintenance book that came with the car

Other than the oil, filter and cabin filter, nothing else should have been touched.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
Marcoscrdo (12-16-2013), subwaynm (12-17-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
S1owJam

Completely agree. And that's what I told them, so they took it off. At least they didn't try fighting me about keeping it on. I'm sure they just don't get challenged enough for it to really make a difference

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to S1owJam For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
CARNZ
CHECK ENGINE

Drives: 2004 STi
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Next time you need service come see me at Wilkins Subaru(glen burnie, MD), and the BRZ 30k shouldnt be anymore than $300(max) since there's not much that needs to be changed yet..
ChiefG (12-15-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
What did they do at 30K and what did they charge you? I didn't get the warm and fuzzies at Jones when I was looking, that "lifetime engine" warranty gimmick comes with too many ands, ifs and buts. Ending up buying from Heritage.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
S1owJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNZ View Post
Next time you need service come see me at Wilkins Subaru(glen burnie, MD), and the BRZ 30k shouldnt be anymore than $300(max) since there's not much that needs to be changed yet..
I'll have to remember that for the 60k. I'll also remember that for my wife's 30k on her Impreza, that they said would also be just under $600. Once I showed the guy the maintenance log for the recommended service, he pretty much backed off the spark plug thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
What did they do at 30K and what did they charge you? I didn't get the warm and fuzzies at Jones when I was looking, that "lifetime engine" warranty gimmick comes with too many ands, ifs and buts. Ending up buying from Heritage.
At first it didn't seem to bad. When I read through the agreement on it and started asking about the required "recommended" services, I just assumed we would have had all of the Subaru recommended services. These charges must be somewhat new though, because before they had the BRZ 30k in the system, they quoted me ~$360.

As far as what they did today, they just replaced the air filter and flushed the brake lines. $110 in parts, but over $250 for labor .

I learned things today about the way Jones does business, and it really made me rethink the way they operate. When I was asking them if they could offer any kind of military discount to bring the price down, they said there wasn't enough in parts charges to discount, and they couldn't discount any of the labor because it would be coming out of the Tech's pockets. Apparently they work on a commission where they get paid with whatever profit is made by Jones. So if any money gets discounted, it comes out of the tech's pay, instead of the company taking a small hit. Basically Jones service techs don't get paid until Jones as a business gets paid, and that's fucked up. I wonder if it's like that for all their employees...

I'll continue to go to them for the free oil changes, but for the major interval services, I'll probably start taking our cars elsewhere, because that's not kosher.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
CARNZ
CHECK ENGINE

Drives: 2004 STi
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
We offer a military discount at Wilkins, also if you do decide to bring your wife's car or your car in the future, ask for Mike
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1owJam View Post
I'll continue to go to them for the free oil changes, but for the major interval services, I'll probably start taking our cars elsewhere, because that's not kosher.

Just don't be surprised if the Engine for a lifetime guarantee gets voided when you don't take it to them for all the recommended service, even if you have another Subaru dealer doing the work!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Just don't be surprised if the Engine for a lifetime guarantee gets voided when you don't take it to them for all the recommended service, even if you have another Subaru dealer doing the work!
Keep records. There is no reason why it should be voided or refused. I make sure to use Toyota parts (in my case), keep the receipts, and I mark the mileage and date that the maintenance was performed both on a spreadsheet as well as on the receipt.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
jones is known for tacking on services that are not necessary as well as charging over msrp. say no and take it somewhere else.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Keep records. There is no reason why it should be voided or refused. I make sure to use Toyota parts (in my case), keep the receipts, and I mark the mileage and date that the maintenance was performed both on a spreadsheet as well as on the receipt.

This is true when it comes to the manufactures warranty or an extended warranty that was purchased thru a third party or at the dealership. The problem is with the Dealerships "Incentive" warranty/guarantee, i.e. Engine for a lifetime, free oil changes, free car washes, manicures, etc. Those typically come with the stipulation that they get to do ALL scheduled/recommended maintenance, which of course you have to pay for at the dealers inflated prices. They can't give away all this stuff and not make up for it somewhere else. I just went thru this exact scenario with my wife's Honda and I won't be suckered again with Dealership gimmicks.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1owJam View Post
As far as what they did today, they just replaced the air filter and flushed the brake lines. $110 in parts, but over $250 for labor .
Flushed the brakes at 30k? Are you boiling your fluid at the track or something where this was necessitated? I was always under the impression fluid flush was just a maintenance item that happens every year or two, depending on your driving style and not mandated by the manufacturer.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Should have called me and asked, I could have saved you a lot of money.
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
Grimlock (12-16-2013), Sportsguy83 (12-17-2013)