follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #407
Bukiya

Drives: <3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I have to admit I've fallen victim to this very thing a couple of times in my mazda 626. To the conversation about doing stupid things in your car, I like to consider myself a pretty careful driver, but the stupid things I have done in my car would have to be hitting my breaks at the start of a slide and spinning around completely.

One time was on light snow, through a round about at maybe 20-25 mph, felt it start to go sideways, tapped the breaks barely and ended up facing the wrong way. It was midnight, no one around.

Another time was on an entrance ramp to a highway in the rain. It had just started raining, which is when it is the most slick and I was going around the sharp curve of the ramp, maybe 25mph, same thing happened, slight slip, didn't think and hit the breaks, spun around backwards. Got extremely lucky, no one was behind me.

I also spun out my brothers 240SX several years ago in a similar rain situation taking off from a stop sign. But that was RWD.

To be honest this stuff makes me nervous about the FR-S, but I want the car too bad to not get it because of this. My nannies will probably never come off though haha
That's the exact thing that happened to me in the rain, going on a freeway onramp on my RWD car. Funny thing is that I barely switched to 3rd gear and applied some gas, and the rpms were probably around 1500. Yeah, hitting the brakes in those situations is a big no no. And of course, taking off from stop signs too during the rain too. That can turn into a nightmare, especially uphill on a RWD manual w/o traction control.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #408
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
That sucks I keep my traction control on or just in sport mode with most of the weight in the front it gets loose real easy!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #409
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdemon View Post
That said, this damned accident is making me rethink buying one of these since the insurance is going to be total murder at this rate-already the quotes I'm seeing are totally crazy and in my area they make us pay crazy money even with a totally clean driving record and a 10 year old Camry...I'm gonna get reamed up the ass with an FR-S. I suppose that's what happens when you release a sports car with a totally defeatable traction control.
Keep in mind: It's all the same with the Mazda MX-5/Miata:
Lively handling, real sportscar, LSD, nannies can be switched off.
And the MX-5 is in the market for ages now.
So what is the insurance in the US for an MX-5 today ??
To high for you? Or just o.k.?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #410
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
I received an email from my adjuster yesterday and he said he doesn't feel that the car is even close to being a total loss. So that's a relief. I'll let you guys know any more info as I get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to neutral For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-07-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #411
SFTiofoso

Drives: '10 Civic Si Coupe
I know I'm gonna get flak for this, but if you're buying your first RWD car at the very least play Gran Turismo or Forza in the rain or low grip tires, so that you don't go into this completely blind. It's only a sim, but it would at least give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #412
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTiofoso View Post
I know I'm gonna get flak for this, but if you're buying your first RWD car at the very least play Gran Turismo or Forza in the rain or low grip tires, so that you don't go into this completely blind. It's only a sim, but it would at least give you an idea of what to expect.
FAIL! Forza does not have weather effects.

But it does simulate tires very well thanks to Pirelli!

bneale
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #413
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not a horrible suggestion, but I would have to say do it with a wheel and pedal setup, rather than controller at least.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #414
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
I received an email from my adjuster yesterday and he said he doesn't feel that the car is even close to being a total loss. So that's a relief. I'll let you guys know any more info as I get it.
That's indeed good news!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #415
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
@neutral:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

@all:
Just in case anyone thinks, a FWD car is "safe" and can't oversteer and skid:
Watch here at 0:25 min:

Damn that's a brutal video!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #416
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have seen so many videos in Europe of people driving the Toyota 86 in the rain in canyon and mountain roads and they don't seem to be having a problem, but they are probably professional drivers. Folks car wreck, shit happens. Just be safe out there. That is what insurance is for.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #417
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTiofoso View Post

This is not flak.

While GT5, Forza and iRacing may be good enough sims to learn a track layout and some steering and throttle application limits they fall far short of simulating the feel of a car that is about to let loose on you.
They lack the g forces and "seat of the pants" inputs that you really need to tell you when you have reached the limits of adhesion.

The best thing to do is to take your new car to a wide open parking lot or autox track in both wet and dry conditions and drive the thing until you discover what it can and cannot safely do. (and what you can and cannot safely do given your skill set).
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #418
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
About damn time!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #419
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
thats some major damage for just going 20 just a couple weeks ago i lost control in my mustang gt. hit the ditch going sideways at 67mph passed out and woke up and there was only a small dent on the drivers side rear bumper from hiting a gaurd rail i was lucky
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #420
krakpot_joe
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Reminds me of this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to krakpot_joe For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (07-11-2012)

Closed Thread