follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #225
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFr-s View Post
Terrible review.. Automatic BRZ against a bunch of manuals? I'd rather drive a manual Corolla than an Auto BRZ/FR-S....
Really? Wow.

I agree that they should be doing like for like in the review, but that seems a bit over the top. Having owned both a manual Corolla and an Auto FR-S, I can say, with no hesitation, that the Auto FR-S is a far superior car in every way, except rear leg room and trunk space.

Your opinion may (and obviously does) vary.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 05-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #226
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
If by long run you mean economy of scale, then maybe, but I'll take this conversation without the condescension, thank you.
Sorry 86'd, no disrespect meant. Just a strong disagreement

While I agree that Subaru "could" charge close to $40k for a say, 300hp FI model, I would say that it will hurt their sales. I suppose you could say it all comes down to their profit models.

On the whole, I'm curious why there's some "unwritten law" in the world of automotive manufacturing that disallows anyone from selling an affordable lightweight RWD coupe that has a respectable power to weight ratio.

Mustang GT - too heavy
Camaro SS - WAY too heavy
Genesis 3.8 - too heavy
Challenger R/T - WAY way too heavy
Miata - underpowered
370Z - too expensive, a bit heavy, not track durable
Twins - underpowered
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #227
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
On the whole, I'm curious why there's some "unwritten law" in the world of automotive manufacturing that disallows anyone from selling an affordable lightweight RWD coupe that has a respectable power to weight ratio.

Mustang GT - too heavy
Genesis 3.8 - too heavy
Miata - underpowered
Twins - underpowered
Probably for the same reason Porsche won't put powerful engines into the Boxster / Cayman-- it could destroy the market for their "higher end" offerings. Hell, I'm still convinced BMW gimped the 1M to keep it from outshining the M3, and that was a super limited-production car that would never really get a chance to cannibalize the M3 market anyway.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #228
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
It's kinda the same concept that Mitsubishi had toward the last gen eclipse, before they murdered it entirely.

They wouldn't give us awd or turbo due to a very openly stated love for the evo.

I prefer aftermarket to OEM, it's almost always cheaper, usually better and it's my choice.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #229
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

Mustang GT - too heavy
Genesis 3.8 - too heavy
Miata - underpowered
Twins - underpowered
  1. RWD has inherent disadvantages vs FWD when it comes to practical daily drivers (less cabin/cargo space, more drivetrain loss, more weight). This hurts mainstream appeal and reduces demand, relegating most RWD cars to niche markets, especially small RWD cars.
  2. It costs more to design/produce a lightweight, RWD car (partly due to layout and partly due to economies of scale).
  3. More power means more chassis reinforcements, bigger brakes, and either more displacement, forced induction, more precise tolerances/tuning, or a hand-built engine. All of those add cost and/or weight.
When it comes to RWD cars: cheap, lightweight, powerful... choose two.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #230
WolfpackS2k

Garage
^I know all that, but that's still crap IMO! Also, the complete lack of a car in that segment means the first manufacturer to fill it will be quite successful. Could you imagine the demand for the BRZ/FRS if instead of a 200 hp engine it had 250-275 hp? It would probably win "car of the decade" and be an instant classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
It's kinda the same concept that Mitsubishi had toward the last gen eclipse, before they murdered it entirely.

They wouldn't give us awd or turbo due to a very openly stated love for the evo.

I prefer aftermarket to OEM, it's almost always cheaper, usually better and it's my choice.
So you don't mind voiding warranties and having to do guesswork instead of it being close to perfect out of the box? (a la a Porsche). Nevermind maintenance and vehicle resale.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #231
JPFr-s

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Really? Wow.

I agree that they should be doing like for like in the review, but that seems a bit over the top. Haven owned both a manual Corolla and an Auto FR-S, I can say, with no hesitation, that the Auto FR-S is a far superior car in every way, except rear leg room and trunk space.

Your opinion may (and obviously does) vary.
Well yeah.. Over the top of course. I would never drive a Corolla. Just trying to state how much I prefer a manual in a sports car. If I was missing my left leg and didn't have a prosthetic, I would use a damn stick for the clutch. I can't get the enjoyment out of an automatic that I can with a manual, and if I was given those cars(equipped the same) to review, the FR-S AUTO would more than likely come in dead last any day.
JPFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #232
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry 86'd, no disrespect meant. Just a strong disagreement

While I agree that Subaru "could" charge close to $40k for a say, 300hp FI model, I would say that it will hurt their sales. I suppose you could say it all comes down to their profit models.

Mustang GT - too heavy
Genesis 3.8 - too heavy
Miata - underpowered
Twins - underpowered

I also apologize if I was a bit testy.

Anyway I think the unwritten law is that Subaru could charge 40k and be "better" than the Cayman performance wise (to the other poster that quoted me) as there would be no other cars in this bracket. (and again) I wasn't really comparing the car by their level of refinement or interiors.

And like you hint at, there both is and isn't a market for a 40k RWD, lightweight car. The last car that really did this is the FD-RX7, and despite its obvious problems, it was an awesome car.

---

The argument, "why not lower weight" and "back-to-basics" applies just as much to a 40K version of this car, as it does to the 25K version; in part because a car like this hasn't been done yet (in these modern times).

Also (like Deslock says) I think when people pay over a certain amount of money 35k+ a majority wants luxury, other wise you're selling to only enthusiasts. The stock FRS/BRZ is nice because it's an everyman's sportscar.

A 40K BRZ would be, in my mind, a cross between a FD and Lotus Elise, but with a back seat, and/or maybe a backseat delete.

Add to the fact that if Subaru makes a limited STI BRZ that focuses solely on the enthusiast (like a WRX STI S206, with a carbon fiber roof, wing, recaro seats, brembo; which starts at $66k) it would be probably be closer to 50k, and that's perhaps being generous.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #233
WolfpackS2k

Garage
I hear ya. It's just so frustrating! The heart of a car is its engine, and the BRZ's is weak. And its driving me nuts already, after just 4 months I take the engine to redline quite often in 1-3 gears and it leaves a lot to be desired, both in sound and power.

It's a dilemma and I'm not sure which route to take in the near future:
Upgrade to a used Cayman S, and worry about higher maintenance costs, or supercharge the BRZ, which tosses the powertrain warranty out the window and will hurt resale down the road.

Meh