follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just Installed RS-3

So picked up my winter wheels with Blizzak WS70 and mounted the RS-3 Hankooks.

So far I have been through the Star Spec Z1, RE-11, RS-2, A048, S02, S03.

My favorite were the Z1, I wanted to go back to them for this car but everyone says the RS3 are stickier. I guess I will find out, whats the over all impression here on them?
Attached Images

Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
ASSALBERT

Drives: DC5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RS3's are you winter tires????
ASSALBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just dig the Z1, more even slides than my ps2 equipped rides, looking fwd to z2
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSALBERT View Post
Haha no, I also got winter wheels and tires. The RS3 are my summer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I just dig the Z1, more even slides than my ps2 equipped rides, looking fwd to z2
I hope I don't regret it.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSALBERT View Post
I can see your reading comprehension skills are excellent.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
ASSALBERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
I can see your reading comprehension skills are excellent.
I can see someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. We dont have the need to know what a blizzak ws70 is here in southern california, the name sounded more like a wheel than a tire imo. :happy0180:
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
We have run RS-3's on both of our previous shop Evo's(IX and X). I can say from my experience with them on my IX, they like a lot of camber. I was having outside wear issues while running ~2* up front. Granted the Evo's are a much heavier car compared to the 86's, the sidewall is still a touch softer than the Z1's.

I like them, because they don't get greasy at the track. If you over drive them, yes they will like any other tire, but they take to heat very well. If you are more of a open track day driver, these tires will be more suited to that over the Z1's. In my experience, the Z1's were better for initial autocross runs where there was less heat in the tires. Once the RS3's get to temp, they are spectacular.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
ASSALBERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
We have run RS-3's on both of our previous shop Evo's(IX and X). I can say from my experience with them on my IX, they like a lot of camber. I was having outside wear issues while running ~2* up front. Granted the Evo's are a much heavier car compared to the 86's, the sidewall is still a touch softer than the Z1's.

I like them, because they don't get greasy at the track. If you over drive them, yes they will like any other tire, but they take to heat very well. If you are more of a open track day driver, these tires will be more suited to that over the Z1's. In my experience, the Z1's were better for initial autocross runs where there was less heat in the tires. Once the RS3's get to temp, they are spectacular.
on the dot, the rs3's love camber. softer sidewall than most tires in its class but the outright grip is phenominal and they take heat very well for a street tire.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post

That's exactly what I needed to know. So I take it I will be looking at adding the crash bolts up front to get the extra camber up front, or can I just run slightly higher pressures to reduce roll. Then drop the rear pressures a bit?

My guess is you do track and autox on the FRS/BRZ what are the national guys doing in autox for setup?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
So picked up my winter wheels with Blizzak WS70 and mounted the RS-3 Hankooks.

So far I have been through the Star Spec Z1, RE-11, RS-2, A048, S02, S03.

My favorite were the Z1, I wanted to go back to them for this car but everyone says the RS3 are stickier. I guess I will find out, whats the over all impression here on them?
That's a Discount Tire Store Hahaha
Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've run both the RS3 and Z1 on my STR MX5. Last year most National STR guys were on the Hancook. They love the heat, love camber and hate the cold/wet. This year all the top guys were on Dunlops, even though it was blisteringly hot. We do water the Dunlops extensively after every run, or they will get greasy.

The Dunlop is much better than the RS3 when it's cold/wet.

For that reason, I recommend the Dunlop on a daily driver. Be very careful with the RS3 if it rains, especially if it is cold as well.

Get crash bolts and max that camber out irrespective of tire choice.
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
That's exactly what I needed to know. So I take it I will be looking at adding the crash bolts up front to get the extra camber up front, or can I just run slightly higher pressures to reduce roll. Then drop the rear pressures a bit?

My guess is you do track and autox on the FRS/BRZ what are the national guys doing in autox for setup?
blkwrxwag is absolutely right. I'm glad he cautioned you when driving with the RS3's in the rain. At full tread depth, you don't need to worry, but once past that I never liked to drive in the rain....

Our silver FR-S ran in the RTR class at the SCCA Solo Nationals this year and this class allows limited mods. Like others their in the class, the car is running the Z1's on the stock wheels. Only other mods were hawk hp+ pads and our very own V1 cat-back exhaust. Camber was maxed out with OEM crash bolts. I'll have to ask Jeremy what pressures they ran while out there, as I was unable to attend.

Cheers!:happy0180:
-Yo
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Dezoris

That was on of the things I really liked about the Dunlops even when temps got down in the 40s they still had grip and heated up fast.

Since I have winter rubber, this may not be a huge issue for me now, I am just glad I know what to expect. Since there are no autox left on the calendar in my area this season. I will crash bolt it in the spring not to anger the Blizzaks.

Thank for the info, if you guys have any common alignment specs and what pressures successful FRS/BRZ drivers are running post back.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I find the RS3s get really noisy as they wear, much faster than the Dunlops do at the same wear level. I don't do RS3s on a daily driver ever again.