follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #883
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
There's one in the stock headers, not in the ACE headers. This is why a CEL is thrown.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
yea sorry I did mean the stock headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I don't get why folks are willing to throw down 1500 for a header but don't consider a tune. You wont get nearly as much power simply bolting on exhaust and intake parts, just extra noise and loss in drivability. If you're worried about CEL with headers you've probably not considered tuning the ECU.
I have considered about the ECU tune but a professional tune is allot of money and I have to consider which parts I can get and install separately, I don't like things lying around for too long I've had a lip kit sitting in my dining room waiting for a mates garage to be free so we can do the install, it's doing my head in seeing the parts on the floor. its the same reason I'm not buying the wheels I want until I can afford the coilovers too, asking questions so I'm not putting parts on that I can't get the most of straight away
Old 07-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #884
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Calais: for that reason there are OTS (off-the-shelf) tunes, that maybe are not custom tailored for exactly your car to very best extent, but providing 90% of gains of custom ones, that you purchase from reputable tuning shop, flash yourself and drive, without seeking for local professional tuning shop availability and paying for dyno tunes.
P.S.
Ace's header with stock tune performs rather bad, giving only very slight gains, far from justifying it's price. I highly suggest buying eg. Delicious Tuning OTS tune for ACE header to get most out of it and drop idea of using stock tune with it, as it will be money thrown out.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Hostile_Kittens (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #885
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post

I have considered about the ECU tune but a professional tune is allot of money and I have to consider which parts I can get and install separately, I don't like things lying around for too long I've had a lip kit sitting in my dining room waiting for a mates garage to be free so we can do the install, it's doing my head in seeing the parts on the floor. its the same reason I'm not buying the wheels I want until I can afford the coilovers too, asking questions so I'm not putting parts on that I can't get the most of straight away
You should budget for a tune with headers if you want more than just extra exhaust noise. Otherwise, a cat-back or axle back of some sort you can get away with not recalibrating the computer and not get CEL. A front pipe can do that for you as well.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #886
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you have EcuTek, we have an OTS Ace tune for you
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #887
Calais

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Calais: for that reason there are OTS (off-the-shelf) tunes, that maybe are not custom tailored for exactly your car to very best extent, but providing 90% of gains of custom ones, that you purchase from reputable tuning shop, flash yourself and drive, without seeking for local professional tuning shop availability and paying for dyno tunes.
P.S.
Ace's header with stock tune performs rather bad, giving only very slight gains, far from justifying it's price. I highly suggest buying eg. Delicious Tuning OTS tune for ACE header to get most out of it and drop idea of using stock tune with it, as it will be money thrown out.
so someone like me that is very green to tuning will be able to flash tune it myself with an OTS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
You should budget for a tune with headers if you want more than just extra exhaust noise. Otherwise, a cat-back or axle back of some sort you can get away with not recalibrating the computer and not get CEL. A front pipe can do that for you as well.
yea was thinking of going cat back then header, but can't help then get ahead of myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you have EcuTek, we have an OTS Ace tune for you
does it matter that I'm in Australia?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #888
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Calais: i don't have yet ecutek kit, but i'm sure that there should be DIY guides threads about doing that in forum or that shop, which tune you'll buy, will help/provide instructions/guide you through the process/answer to questions via emails or phone.

As for being in Australia .. IIRC it's rather bad with local Ecutek tuners for you there, so probably you won't be able to borrow cable for flashing, and that probably will be needed to be bought aswell, not just licence & tune.
Also from what i've heard from others in Australia in this forum, your 98 petrol is rather bad quality wise, worse then USA RON 91 & 93, so maybe it's worth to keep in mind, when selecting which tunes should be included in set. Then again they also posted, that E85 ethanol content wise is rather good/stable quality. So i'd get some 91 (or slightly downtuned, if that's an option) tune + E85 tune, and switch between them depending on what fuel you drive.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Calais (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #889
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
so someone like me that is very green to tuning will be able to flash tune it myself with an OTS?

yea was thinking of going cat back then header, but can't help then get ahead of myself

does it matter that I'm in Australia?

delicious or moto east will have ots tunes suited to ace header and 98 fuels.

you should even be able to get a map switchable 4 fuel tune for ace header 95/98/E40/E85.

The only drama will be a @churchx said getting someone to flash the tune for you, im not sure if the local ecutek tuner in australia will want to flash another tuners tune.

so you may have to buy a ecutek cable kit as well if you want ecutek tune. cost about $500 aussie new.

local ecutek tuners likely to charge you $1500 plus for tune and most wont do 4 map switch tune for different fuels

If you were in Brisbane I have ecutek cable and could flash tune for you.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Calais (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #890
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Moto-East does not have an Ace specific tune that I am aware of. CSG/DT does.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #891
Calais

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Calais: i don't have yet ecutek kit, but i'm sure that there should be DIY guides threads about doing that in forum or that shop, which tune you'll buy, will help/provide instructions/guide you through the process/answer to questions via emails or phone.

As for being in Australia .. IIRC it's rather bad with local Ecutek tuners for you there, so probably you won't be able to borrow cable for flashing, and that probably will be needed to be bought aswell, not just licence & tune.
Also from what i've heard from others in Australia in this forum, your 98 petrol is rather bad quality wise, worse then USA RON 91 & 93, so maybe it's worth to keep in mind, when selecting which tunes should be included in set. Then again they also posted, that E85 ethanol content wise is rather good/stable quality. So i'd get some 91 (or slightly downtuned, if that's an option) tune + E85 tune, and switch between them depending on what fuel you drive.
thanks guys given me a lot to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
delicious or moto east will have ots tunes suited to ace header and 98 fuels.

you should even be able to get a map switchable 4 fuel tune for ace header 95/98/E40/E85.

The only drama will be a @churchx said getting someone to flash the tune for you, im not sure if the local ecutek tuner in australia will want to flash another tuners tune.

so you may have to buy a ecutek cable kit as well if you want ecutek tune. cost about $500 aussie new.

local ecutek tuners likely to charge you $1500 plus for tune and most wont do 4 map switch tune for different fuels

If you were in Brisbane I have ecutek cable and could flash tune for you.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #892
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Question gents, the installation manual talks about jacking the engine up...but what is the jacking point for the engine? We've done an install with my friend here, but it was painful and a bit scary. We could not really find a safe jacking point. The jack wasn't going hight enough either, so we had a block of wood, jacked on one side, then it was in the way...yeah so it wasn't as simple.
ysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #893
Infidel86

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysu View Post
Question gents, the installation manual talks about jacking the engine up...but what is the jacking point for the engine? We've done an install with my friend here, but it was painful and a bit scary. We could not really find a safe jacking point. The jack wasn't going hight enough either, so we had a block of wood, jacked on one side, then it was in the way...yeah so it wasn't as simple.
I've jacked up the engine a couple time from the oil pan. Placed a hockey puck between the jack and oil pan.
Infidel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #894
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks guys given me a lot to think about

At the moment I am running the OFT maps from Wayno in Australia and so far so good! Huge difference compared to...no tune at all.
I am also looking into getting an ecutek tune with possibly a Flex Fuel kit. E85 is life!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #895
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysu View Post
You only need to jack up the engine to slide the overpipe in. Not a biggie really! Considering that most of my headers were ceramic coated, and had no pleasure in scratching the overpipe, this is something I have always done: Once the engine is jacked up about 5cm (disconnect the intake pipe from the TB otherwise you will be struggling a little) and there is no header in the way, place the overpipe perpendicular with the frame toward the front end of the car. As you lift the other end (the one with two pipes welded) turn and push it through the available space. Almost done! Once you managed to get it through and sits there pretty, bring the engine down! Now proceed to install the header!

With this header, I get the header in the position, let it hang in there, connect the overpipe section, tighten the bolts (you will have more room to reach the top bolt with the header hangin' believe me), then tighten the header bolts. Proceed to tighten the front pipe bolts.

Hope it makes sense!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
AceHeader-MT (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #896
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure on the point of jacking up the engine either. I watched the shop do my install and they didn't move the engine or have an issue fitting the header+OP.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote