follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #2031
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Boy Matt View Post
Space Boy Matt, BRZ, 2050 miles, 6033xx, [status: dealer could do nothing, SOA has pulled the first TSB for this issue since it seems like it's not working, dealer could not get a hold of Subaru HQ in NJ since it is being hit by huricane Sandy atm. Dealer told me it's safe to drive with the CEL for now. {even though my engine power is now restricted due to the error} So I drove my BRZ off the lot and on my way. I will call Subaru HQ in NJ as soon as they are open again after the storm to hear what they have to say about the issue.], San Jose, Ca
Yes we are in the middle of Sandy now..SOA headquarters is a few miles from where I live. BTW, many of the South Jersey business plan to re-open on Wed, so don't be surprised if they don't answer on Tue.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #2032
Sean K.

Drives: 2008 Lotus Elise SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduffy View Post
Can you show me the Toyota webpage where they say it's 5%? I'm curious to see that.
Read what you quoted again.....did I say that Toyota's webpage said it was 5%? No, I clearly labeled it as a caveat. It's entirely plausible that the Toyota reps don't know what they're talking about.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #2033
Don Ivey

Drives: '13 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
It's been 10 days since I've been waiting for the new ECM. The part is on backorder and the service manager has no ETA on how long it'll be.

Anyone have any other information from other dealers on how long the wait is before the ECM drops?

The service manager is speculating the reason for the backorder is that they are experimenting and manufacturing entirely new units to address this issue.

They have two other vehicles besides mine waiting at the dealership for the new ECM.

This is quite frustrating. I chose the FR-S over the Porsche Cayman because of reliability and lower cost of maintenance. I hope they get these issues worked out.
Just curious where in Raleigh you got your car? I'm visiting Leith tomorrow to make a deposit. Getting shaky.

Don Ivey
'87 911
Don Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #2034
cyrus

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS White Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
Just curious where in Raleigh you got your car? I'm visiting Leith tomorrow to make a deposit. Getting shaky.

Don Ivey
'87 911
Hendrick Toyota of Apex is where I purchased the vehicle. It's the worst dealership I've encountered, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth. I won't get into details, but you're much better of going with Leith or Fred Anderson.

I've purchased a vehicle from Fred Anderson in the past, and they were quite good to deal with.

Update on the car:
It's been a little over 3 weeks in the shop. Scion called me today and stated they won't expect a new shipment until maybe the second week of November. It wasn't a definite eta, but he stated he'll call back next week with an update on the ETA. I'm very surprised at the customer service of Scion. It's definitely spot on and fantastic.
cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #2035
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhigham View Post
So I get to look at the cars on the lot but not enjoy the one just like it that I own.

I agree. For a car that had such hype, its launch I think will go down as a failure or at least forgettable. I cannot/will not believe that three years of testing did not reveal this problem; this had to be known about over a year ago.

Can we get a smiley with a CEL light? It is long overdue. maybe this one, but after the burnout, a CEL appears...lol

It's not about what you get to look at. It's about what is the best fix. The car on the lot may have the same piece of crap ecu/cam problem that you have.

But, again, I and everyone here can sympathize with your frustration.

Note: Today, I saw a beautiful red coupe on the road and broke several motor vehicle code regs to catch up to it. I thought it might be a BRZ. Turned out to be an Jaguar XK.

Well, we could save up, I guess . . . .
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #2036
MikesFRS

Drives: it like he stole it!!
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got my car back after the reflash of the ECU. So far so good. Lets see how it does in the next 100 miles
MikesFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #2037
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
Hendrick Toyota of Apex is where I purchased the vehicle. It's the worst dealership I've encountered, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth. I won't get into details, but you're much better of going with Leith or Fred Anderson.

I've purchased a vehicle from Fred Anderson in the past, and they were quite good to deal with.

Update on the car:
It's been a little over 3 weeks in the shop. Scion called me today and stated they won't expect a new shipment until maybe the second week of November. It wasn't a definite eta, but he stated he'll call back next week with an update on the ETA. I'm very surprised at the customer service of Scion. It's definitely spot on and fantastic.
How are you very surprised at their customer service? Have you had bad experiences with them before or something?

Because if I was service writer/ manager I'd be kissing everyone's asses so they don't file a lemon law claim and have their cars bought back. Most states is 30 consecutive business days in their shop and its a lemon.
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #2038
FoolCyclist

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited, MT
Got me too

Happened to me yesterday. Had my 3750 service done 2 days earlier. Began with the idle issue and then loss of power, then the lights come on. On the way to the dealer this morning, the slip light went off, but CEL still on and down on power.

As soon I talked to the shop manager he knew of the issue and they have had one before. He said that it needs the new ECU programming. Said he thought he could be done today.

I will keep you posted.

BRZ Limited, 3630 miles, Jacksonville, FL, 6003XX
FoolCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FoolCyclist For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #2039
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolCyclist View Post
Happened to me yesterday. Had my 3750 service done 2 days earlier. Began with the idle issue and then loss of power, then the lights come on. On the way to the dealer this morning, the slip light went off, but CEL still on and down on power.

As soon I talked to the shop manager he knew of the issue and they have had one before. He said that it needs the new ECU programming. Said he thought he could be done today.

I will keep you posted.

Good luck! Can be done today if all it needs is a flash . Most are needing ECU's or cam gears though, figure on 3-4 weeks.
mhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #2040
sajonf

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S, 12 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolCyclist View Post

I will keep you posted.

Yet another just after an oil change.. I seem to remember several others that had this happen. Coincidence or pattern?
sajonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #2041
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Not sure on the details of this car, but most VVT systems are controlled by oil/oil pressure. It shouldn't be that picky about oil, but if they put totally the wrong oil and filter on it, maybe that's the thin mint that pushes the whole system over the edge.

mhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #2042
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
had to get my ECU replaced and so far it seems to be the fix... drove about 100 miles already with it and it seems like new
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2043
KrzysFR

Drives: GT 86, black
Question

Can someone explain to me how exactly a CEL code is "cleared" on a car, and what is the effect on the ECM and behavior of the car ?

I've had the CEL cleared two times already, and every time, the car became completely powerless for a few miles (almost like the Limp Mode) right after the procedure. Then after a few days/week the power was restored progressively.

Last time I took the car a few minutes after they cleared it, and the first acceleration was like no power at all (pedal on the metal and the car almost not moving). I immediately went for a U-turn to drive back to the dealership, but on the way back, engine power increased a little, mid-turn, enough to make the wheels spin on a wet road. So I decided to drive a little more and now the car is kinda improved a little bit. Clearly less power than when it was new.

Can a CEL-clear restart the 100km (or was it 100 miles?) learning period ? or is the car still in pseudo-limp mode ???

I've seen people describing the same thing after a CEL reflash or upgrade, but was wondering why both would have the same impact on the car ?

Maybe the temporary loss of power has nothing to do with the change of software in the ECM, but with the procedure that they have to do that is similar between clearing a code and reflashing the whole thing ?

Maybe some people did not experience power loss because the dealer took the car for a spin and put a few dozens of miles on it before sending it back ?
KrzysFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #2044
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
Update: After 3 weeks of being at the dealership, my service advisor called and told me the car is now fixed and ready for pickup. His initial ETA was the first week of November, so I guess these ECU's are being expedited to the dealerships. I am out of town at the moment, driving my plug-in hybrid prius, so I won't pick up my car until Monday of next week. I will report how it runs after I get her back.

P.S. Time to give Lisa, rep at scion of america, a call to discuss my compensation (I am looking for one month of car payment and a set of OEM foglights installed). Will let you guys know how that goes as well.

Brian
Got my car back on Saturday and had since put 150 miles on her. Car runs fine.

Lisa threw me a little surprise. She told me that since the OEM foglights are not even available, they cannot really compensate me with something they don't even have. Instead, she offered me 2 full car payments (with no obligations) which I gladly accepted.

Brian
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianlo622 For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-30-2012)