follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
cyphersk8
VFX Extraordinaire

Drives: Ford Focus ZX3 | Soon to be FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S or MS3?

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a new car and I've always been a 2D hatchback guy/coupe kind of guy. I used to mod but I've never actually joined any autocross events, just attended to spectate. I like having power, but to be honest all my driving is to and from work in the daily grind of LA traffic.

I was test driving all the available performance cars (genesis, ms3, abarth, rx8, sti wrx) but I have yet to drive the FR-S. I actually have a deposit hold on one coming in this week, but unfortunately it's argento and I'm not sure I'll love the color.

Anyways, I was looking into getting the FR-S AT as my daily driver, hoping that it brings back the fun in driving for me. I also fell in love with the Ms3 that I drove, except manual in traffic is no fun. I also feel that I'd never really get the full appreciation of the power without landing myself hefty tickets... Or joining autocross events. They have a few at angels stadium near my house, but I've never been big on actually racing my cars. I just like to baby them and enjoy a few weekend drives .

What are your thoughts? MS3 and enjoy the power when I can, keeping my beater focus as a Daily... Or FR-S and having the option of using the AT as my daily. They have the same sticker price, too. Decisions!

Talk me into it. Please
cyphersk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you alright with FWD? and AT vs MT is a serious decision with a sports car aimed at driving pleasure and control.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
would you rather have the ms3 over the rx8? the frs seems to offer the same thing the rx8 does only it trades some practicality and gains mpgs.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Garage
If i was considering the ms3 I would also then drive the gti. And the refinement and looks of the gti would win over it. If you plan to mod, the 2.0tsi motor takes wonderfully to simple bolt ons and ecu tuning.
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mild2Wild For This Useful Post:
D4ng3r (06-22-2012), Oilers99 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Argento AT - you will hear the cheers!
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
cyphersk8
VFX Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mild2Wild View Post
If i was considering the ms3 I would also then drive the gti. And the refinement and looks of the gti would win over it. If you plan to mod, the 2.0tsi motor takes wonderfully to simple bolt ons and ecu tuning.
Not planning to mod anything anymore. I've driven a FWD manual all my life, so switching to RWD is very enticing. I guess I'm more debating how much practicality and car I am getting between the MS3 and FR-S. Any car I buy will replace my Focus Hatch as my daily grinder.

The pluses on the MS3 are (speed, seating, keyless entry, interior design, leather, availability) cons (FWD, speed because of mostly traffic driving, manual only)

Pluses on the FR-S (RWD, sports car, NA engine, automatic for traffic driving, looks) cons (price for amount of car, interior, no keyless entry).

This is a tough decision as I plan on having this has a daily for 5 years or so!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Garage
Well in that case I would take the frs. But seriously consider the MT!! Even still though the reason to choose scion over ms3 is that there's nothing making the Mazda special. So it's got quite a bit of hp....nothing too special though nowadays. It's got torque steer. And, in my opinion at least, is one of the worst looking cars in the sporty >35k segment. The interior quality of the scion isn't as good, but for a driver's car I actually appreciate its lack of buttons. The seats are comfortable and supportive and the steering wheel feels great. It's torquey down low in the range you'll use for daily driving and it's handling is impressive considering the tires. All in all it feels special even when cruising. It delivers more than some turbo boost can make up for.
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Cudgel

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 GT Hatchback
2 very different cars. I think if you need to carry 3+ people in your car daily, then go with the MS3 but if it's going to be 2 people and the occassional 3rd person, then FR-S all the way!
Cudgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
cyphersk8
VFX Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudgel View Post
2 very different cars. I think if you need to carry 3+ people in your car daily, then go with the MS3 but if it's going to be 2 people and the occassional 3rd person, then FR-S all the way!
Word. I think once I drive the Fr-s my decision will be easier. If I don't like the silver it's gonna kill me to wait for a whiteout! Hah thanks for all the insight guys.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I used to have a Smilespeed3. Loved the car, but it's not as nimble as the BRZ. It is, however, a nice car and quite rapid. Just remember to add the rear motor mount and the intake if you get the car and it really wakes the car up.

Handling is solid, there is lift throttle oversteer to be had on sweepers, the midrange power is beastly, and the gas mileage is... meh. The GTI doesn't compete in terms of fun to drive imo, but it's also a nicer car.

If you don't have kids or don't want to carry people in the back though, I would test out the GenCoupe and of course an AS6 car
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
cyphersk8
VFX Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoph View Post
I used to have a Smilespeed3. Loved the car, but it's not as nimble as the BRZ. It is, however, a nice car and quite rapid. Just remember to add the rear motor mount and the intake if you get the car and it really wakes the car up.

Handling is solid, there is lift throttle oversteer to be had on sweepers, the midrange power is beastly, and the gas mileage is... meh. The GTI doesn't compete in terms of fun to drive imo, but it's also a nicer car.

If you don't have kids or don't want to carry people in the back though, I would test out the GenCoupe and of course an AS6 car
I looked at the GenCoupe, but didn't fall in love with the market price. It also seems like a bit too much engine for a little daily driver. I have a ford edge for driving the kiddos around (when we eventually have some). I'll check out an Audi s6 when I go back to drive the RX8 & MS3 again. Hoping to get all the cars test driven BEfORE I step foot into the FR-S because I want to know exactly what I am comparing it to.

Like I said, so far the MS3 is winning. It's big enough, fun, and a good price. Those new sky active 3's get great gas mileage too, but damn they had no power! Once it was rolling it was decent, but meh. I'm also looking for an auto for traffic reasons which is a drawback on the Ms3 and a major plus on the FR-S.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
If you're looking for an auto and the MS3 seems more your kind of car than one of the FRS or BRZ, you might want to check out a DSG GTI then. That transmission is pretty awesome.

Obviously some of us have different things we like in cars though. Have you checked out the Mustang V6? That comes in auto as well. See also Miatas.
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
caliboy15

Drives: 1994 NA8
automatic MS3?? are you sure about that?
caliboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
flawedchemical

Drives: Silver 2013 FR-S
I also just went from a liquid silver MS3 to the Argento FR-S haha...The mazda like stated above is a beast in the midrange and a roll on monster. It also handles quite well and responds very well to minimal mods. I autocrossed mine for 2 seasons and was always at the top of my class locally against evo's and sti's. The torque steer is manageable and mine became nearly nonexistent when I had an alignment done and took all the retarded toe out of the equation. Made the car MUCH better. Having the FR-S has been on my agenda for years tho, so I made the jump. Already missing my backseat and hatchback practicality, but I'm loving all the broken necks I'm causing and getting to listen to that flat four spin up to 7k. In the 3 I usually got 22-25 around town and mixed driving...and I think I pulled 31 one time on strictly interstate. It does ride rougher than the FR-S though. And is much louder. MS3 had better brakes I think...at least touchier initially and a little more feel in the early part of the pedal. Both transition quickly from side to side. Of course the aftermarket is huge for the 3 compared to the FR-S but I'm sure that will change quickly.

Having said all that...whew...RWD is a game changer and I just never loved the 3 like I thought I would. It is an amazing car and will trounce anything in a bang for the buck contest.

Also...my personal opinion...if you're going to get an auto FR-S you might as well go buy a Grand Marquis and be done with it. No self respecting car guy would buy this car with a slushbox! Bumper to bumper traffic be damned!!!
flawedchemical is offline   Reply With Quote