follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
Law

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
DIY - Right Hand Drive (RHD) Clutch Spring Removal / MTEC Install

Hi All

Figured I'd put together a DIY guide for all those out there that own RHD 86/BRZ who want to remove/replace their clutch springs.

Whats needed
  • 12mm Socket and extensions - The 3 primary mounting bolts for the clutch pedal need this.
  • Optional: Torque Wrench to correctly torque all bolts.
  • Optional: Quality grease to lubricate all moving parts on re-assembly.
  • Flat head screwdriver - To assist with prying out roll pins and c clips where required.
  • Needle nose pliers - To remove retaining clips.
  • Paper masking tape - To avoid losing nuts into the engine bay.

Plan of attack

As this is RHD, it is close to impossible to remove the clutch spring with the pedal in place. This doesn't meant that it cant be done, but be prepared for hours of pain if you are prepared to go that route. The following method is much simpler and allows you to work on the whole assembly on a bench. LHD owners in the states and other countries have a much easier time as the clutch pedal works on a cam system which provides plenty of working space in the footwell.

Step 1: Inside the footwell

Start by removing the following.

1. Undo both sensor plugs as shown in the following diagram. The plugs are a bit tight from factory and don't seem obvious at first on how they should be undone, don't rush and examine it carefully. You will see the prongs to press in to release them.

2. Undo the 12mm bolt that supports the clutch pedal, if you are lying on your back this is facing directly upwards.

3. Remove the retaining clip from the clutch master cylinder push rod (use needle nose pliers to gently pull it). Once out, look to the other side of the pedal and pry out of the center pin using a flat head screwdriver.

Step 2: Inside the engine bay

1. Remove both the 12mm bolts which secure the Master cylinder and clutch pedal assembly. Becareful not to drop these nuts into the engine bay, otherwise you will have a fun time digging for them or removing the undertrays. Line the 12mm socket with some tape so that the nut stays captive once removed.

Step 3: On the workbench.

1. With the pedal removed, it should look something like this. You can place the entire assembly on a workbench and enjoy the next few steps knowing that you wont be fighting to contort yourself into the footwell.

2. Remove the stock clutch spring by first removing the c-clips on both ends of the spring holder. Then proceed to push out the retaining pins, You should be then able to remove the entire spring assembly as shown below. Note you may need to play with the clutch pedal position to push the retaining pins out.

3. Once disassembled, it should look like the below. From here you can simply either re-install the pedal for a true clutch spring delete OR replace it with a MTEC spring.

Step 4: Re-assembly

1. Reassembly is basically the reverse of the above. When re-installing, make sure the push rod is lined up with the pedal. If it is off to either side or seated incorrectly you will not be able to re-install the retaining clips.

Re-installation Checklist.
  • Re-install MTEC Spring OR leave whole assembly out if going for a true clutch spring delete.
  • Ensure clutch master cylinder push rod is connected to the pedal. Re-grease all moving components here.
  • Connect both sensors.
  • Torque all 3 bolts to 18nm / 13.3 ftlb.
  • Clean up any excess grease or mess.

Conclusion

I hope this guide helps those out there who own RHD cars and have not attempted this yet. Although there appear to be quite a few steps involved, in reality this process is rather quick. I completed the install in about 1.5hours at a leisurely pace whilst documenting it all.

My Thoughts

Having seen hundreds of first hand reviews and opinions from LHD owners who removed the spring, I put this off for quite a while due to the difficulty of reaching the spring. It is a very worthwhile modification, The stock clutch feel is one of the most annoying traits of an otherwise fantastic car. I would highly recommend either replacing the spring with MTEC's version or removing it completely.
  • Using the MTEC spring will give a nice pedal weight which is between stock and complete removal. The only downside is cost.
  • Removing the spring completely will give the most weight and feel, however this is at the consequence of introducing slop/pedal play at the top of travel.

I chose the MTEC replacement as I personally prefer to keep as much of the factory engineering in place, but the decision is really up to each individual!

I also will starting posting more content on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://lawdiy.blogspot.com.au/
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
AJ124 (04-30-2017), Boomerang (07-07-2017), Byza (04-15-2017), enouf (04-15-2017), Harey (02-25-2018), jcw99 (12-31-2019), T-Steve (07-05-2017), teppei (03-17-2018), Thefalls (12-30-2019), Ultramaroon (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Wow, much needed and superb DIY as first post. Thank you, Law.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wish you posted this last week when I was adjusting the pick-up height. Bookmarked for when my MTEC spring arrives.
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Wow, much needed and superb DIY as first post. Thank you, Law.
No problems! Happy to contribute as I've learnt a lot from this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byza View Post
I wish you posted this last week when I was adjusting the pick-up height. Bookmarked for when my MTEC spring arrives.
Let me know how it goes!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
enouf
Mr. Grumpy

Drives: 86 GT, Fuji Red, MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanks @Law for the DIY and write up - looked at doing this before but remembered how I cut my hand on the stupid metal cage when I was adjusting the pedal height and went NUPE!

But thanks to the DIY, I did this today in about an hour. The hardest parts were:
• Figuring out how to undo the two plugs (pinch hard to disengage)
• The push rod clevis pin had a plastic one way toggle on the end that had to be pinched in order for the pin to be pulled out - i just pulled really hard and then pushed them back into shape
• Re-assembling was a pain, the order i did it was securing the clutch pedal with the 12mm bolt and then lining up the push rod clevis with the clutch pedal so i can push the pin through. From then it was just a matter lining everything up and then tightening.

I also reinstalled the spring holder since it seem to make the whole assembly more stable.

Overall impression was fantastic - I can only describe it as being stiffer and more 'bouncy'. I don't think I can feel the friction point any better but there's much less stuttering or hesitating when i shift now.
enouf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enouf For This Useful Post:
Harey (02-25-2018), jcw99 (12-31-2019)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Let me know how it goes!

Installed the MTEC spring last weekend. This DIY was excellent. As Enouf said, re-installation can be a pain if you're doing this alone. His point of re-securing the clutch pedal first is the way to go, otherwise it just gets pushed back though the firewall when trying to slide the clutch master cyl assy over the studs.

With two people the whole job could be done in 30 mins.

Can't say that the engagement point has any more feel to me but the pedal does feel firmer but not heavy and I guess more premium.
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by enouf View Post
Thanks @Law for the DIY and write up - looked at doing this before but remembered how I cut my hand on the stupid metal cage when I was adjusting the pedal height and went NUPE!

But thanks to the DIY, I did this today in about an hour. The hardest parts were:
• Figuring out how to undo the two plugs (pinch hard to disengage)
• The push rod clevis pin had a plastic one way toggle on the end that had to be pinched in order for the pin to be pulled out - i just pulled really hard and then pushed them back into shape
• Re-assembling was a pain, the order i did it was securing the clutch pedal with the 12mm bolt and then lining up the push rod clevis with the clutch pedal so i can push the pin through. From then it was just a matter lining everything up and then tightening.

I also reinstalled the spring holder since it seem to make the whole assembly more stable.

Overall impression was fantastic - I can only describe it as being stiffer and more 'bouncy'. I don't think I can feel the friction point any better but there's much less stuttering or hesitating when i shift now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byza View Post
Installed the MTEC spring last weekend. This DIY was excellent. As Enouf said, re-installation can be a pain if you're doing this alone. His point of re-securing the clutch pedal first is the way to go, otherwise it just gets pushed back though the firewall when trying to slide the clutch master cyl assy over the studs.

With two people the whole job could be done in 30 mins.

Can't say that the engagement point has any more feel to me but the pedal does feel firmer but not heavy and I guess more premium.

Agree, that although the feel doesn't increase much. The extra pedal weight does help quite a bit in modulating the clutch now.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully it will help others who attempt this.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #9
Harey

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Thanks for the write up, just finished this. Took me just over an hour. Enouf's comments were really helpful as well. Particularly the order of assembling.

I just did the full spring delete. I concur with others, slightly heavier, not much more feel but definitely better. Thanks!

Think I might do the slave cylinder change next

Last edited by Harey; 02-24-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Harey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
video on how to install the clutch spring on RHD vehicles: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKBRYQdBpY[/ame]
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sneaky_pete For This Useful Post:
86zn6 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #11
86zn6

Drives: White GTS then Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Would this result in premature TOB?
86zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, mtec, removal, rhd, spring