follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #29
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
ECU from a different post I made yesterday:

Motec is the top tier ECU. On top of CAN integration, it provides plenty many features and advanced customizations like incredibly effective traction control.

You have to sit down and think what things you NEED/WANT. If you need full CAN integration, ease of swap with the wiring figured out with a plug an play harness, go with the Pure Motec package. I have it and can attest to the Motec and plug and play features and can also confirm Pure stands by their product 100% and will be there to support you.

I've seen firsthand Element Tuning "plug and play" package with full CAN integration and it was a nightmare. Wires that did not reach the sensors, open wires that needed to be custom routed and plugs added to have basic features working and not enough inputs for critical stuff like, idle control on a cable throttle.

Yes, the Motec package is expensive. It will just depend on what value you put on almost limitless features, full CAN integration and the advantage of painfree wiring which can become a big task on a swap depending on what other option you decide to go with and how comfortable you/your shop is with wiring.

To me, after going through a swap, the extra cost as well worth it. Of course, some people don't need all the stuff Motec provides (track only car for example) and are comfortable with wiring. In those cases, it's harder to justify.

V160 or CD009 you will need to modify the trans tunnel. I believe either will land pretty close to stock location with the right adapters. You'd need to contact FBM for it. I believe Pure might also sell a conversion kit specific to the FRS?

In general, to keep proper brake bias, you want to got with a brake kit designed for the twins.
I agree that motec is good but it’s way more options with emtron and way better for the price, all factory functions can be kept with emtron as well. Motec is a little over rated imo.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
I agree that motec is good but it’s way more options with emtron and way better for the price, all factory functions can be kept with emtron as well. Motec is a little over rated imo.
^^^ emtron rep? What’s the deal with the emtron shoutouts on old threads?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #31
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FYI the push button start function did not work properly with Emtron. We were using it on a 2jz swap and after they couldn't work that out we put a Motec in the car to get it done.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-20-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #32
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I would assume that since emtron has a plug and play kit available, the ability to utilize the push start button should be available by now.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #33
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
When I did the swap, I added up the cost of the Emtron plus the custom harness plus the wiring work on the car I was going to need, and it was just a little less than Motec (it was just about $1K difference). I asked around tuners in my area (South FL) and no one knew or was willing to "tune" an Emtron they had no idea about.

At that time, I decided to go with Motec. If memory serves me well, at that time I did the swap, they also didn't have support for push button or they thought they had the code but were still trying to get a car to confirm it worked.

I'm all up for cheaper solutions. There's a CANBUS translator from Australia, that seems badass and promising with all functions working, but it also has been "promised" for three years and still has not been officially released. If that would have been available when I swapped, I would have gone with it, but to this date it is not available and I swapped a year ago (started planing about a year before that).

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 06-17-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (06-17-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #34
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
When I did the swap, I added up the cost of the Emtron plus the custom harness plus the wiring work on the car I was going to need, and it was just a little less than Motec (it was just about $1K difference). I asked around tuners in my area (South FL) and no one knew or was willing to "tune" an Emtron they had no idea about.

At that time, I decided to go with Motec. If memory serves me well, at that time I did the swap, they also didn't have support for push button or they thought they had the code but were still trying to get a car to confirm it worked.

I'm all up for cheaper solutions. There's a CANBUS translator from Australia, that seems badass and promising with all functions working, but it also has been "promised" for three years and still has not been officially released. If that would have been available when I swapped, I would have gone with it, but to this date it is not available and I swapped a year ago (started planing about a year before that).
Yeah i did hear that some time ago Emtron was not as popular and some things were not supported, but they seem to be up and coming and from what my builder/tuner has promised with his custom harness I was impressed to say the least. So many more performance options than Motec. He opened my mind to it lol
Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #35
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah i did hear that some time ago Emtron was not as popular and some things were not supported, but they seem to be up and coming and from what my builder/tuner has promised with his custom harness I was impressed to say the least. So many more performance options than Motec. He opened my mind to it lol

You’re in the right track with emtron but I wouldn’t say more performance options. It’s a very capable unit but motec has been around for a long time with many many options.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #36
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's not a bad ecu at all, I may even be putting one in my Viper. But without being able to write custom firmware like we can with Motec it just didn't work out for our time frame we had
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #37
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Yeah that true. The General rule of thumb with most translators or devices is that the features that will work depends more on the ECU that your new engine will run. IE if your stock ecu does not support Traction Control most likely the car wont have traction control. If your ECU is old school based like a tach wire and temp wire than those are the features that will be supported. If you get something like motec which can be programmed to support almost very thing then it can be. But not everything is canbus. some signals are also had wired. so those are required to run everything 100% And wiring can vary from Manual vs Auto, and push start vs turn key.
Sportsguy83 (06-20-2019)

Tags
2jz, 2jz gte, ecu, engine swap, transmission