follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #2395
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I finally had some time and watched a bunch of MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans. I have not finished the show yet, so these are my impressions of the show up to episode 16.

For me, the show is like a 6.5 or 7/10. Watchable, but definitely not something I'd put in my favorites.

The good: The mecha fights and overall animation quality is actually superb, and the main story is pretty engaging. I think that most of the characters (with some notable exceptions; I'll explain) are interesting and feel more naturally fleshed out than most anime. The show does a good job delving into some more "mature" themes, i.e war, slavery, child soldiers, poverty, politics, corruption, colonialism, etc. and I love that.

The bad: A few of the side stories and characters are cringey at best, and actively off-putting at worst, especially the events surrounding the show's female characters. As an example, there are two female characters that are romantically interested in the protagonist (who is a young teenager). One of them is similar in age/maturity to the protagonist, and one of them is a much younger child. This in and of itself isn't necessarily a problem, if it were handled in a mature way but personally I don't feel like they do that. They seem to focus a lot on the fact that the young one is jealous of the other girl (and other older female characters) because she doesn't have a "womanly" body yet, giving them an excuse to use the older girl characters as fanservice/eye-candy. But, its not just limited to that. For example, one of the "groups" in the show is one guy as captain of a ship harem of multiple wives as the crew. Just like the child thing, a harem or other poly relationship wouldn't necessarily be a problem, if it were handled in a mature way. But instead, they decide to have use it as an excuse to show a bunch of scantily clad women who are incredibly obedient to one dude, which personally I don't think is a healthy depiction of that sort of thing. There are a couple women in that group that get a bit of character development outside of that, but I don't feel like it really makes up for it. Plus, they use the harem thing to plant the idea in the little girl's mind that she and the older girl can both be the protagonists wives, which IMO is a very... strange narrative choice, to say the least. There are other problems I have with the show, but they're along along similar lines and I dont feel like writing out every single thing.

I don't know if I'll finish the show. We'll see. But, as far as Gundam series go, I'm a little disappointed with this one. As it stands right now, I liked Unicorn better. Maybe I'll watch 00 or Seed next.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #2396
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Tried watching War on Titan. Boring.
Darling in the FranXX. My friend helped me understand what "fan service" is thanks to this show. I watched 1.5 episodes. Might carry on. I dunno.
I kinda wanna go back and watch OG Voltron and Robotech. Especially Robotech.
But One Punch Man is sweet.
I loved Darling in the franxx TBH... and not for the fan service... It was a roller coaster ride for me. As far as AoT, its entertaining... the beggining is a bit on the slow side... I still havent started Season 3 part 2 though.

One Punch is amazing though.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #2397
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The whole wig thing was pretty funny.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #2398
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
More than half way through the Spring season, I've finally caught up with most of series this season. Here are few lists.

One Punch Man Season 2 - It's somewhat slow... well, slower than 1st season. BUT even with that, still fun to watch.
Kimetsu no Yaiba - 1st epi had good action and all, but didn't keep me watching. After several epi into it, it got good.
Isekai Quartet - If you watch Overlord, Re;Zero, Youjo & KonoSuba, it's worth every bit of it! It's a same studio that did Pe Ple Pleiades, so they know how to make a cute chibi charas at the same time, their joke is funny.
Fruits Basket (2019) - If you watched the original, don't bother. If you haven't, then worth watching.
Kenja no Mago - Good series... but I have been reading the manga first, so I'm kinda disappointed. They cut a lot of things out from manga. I get that, they wanna keep things short to the point, but as a result, they made the series very light story.
Fairy Gone - Good action series, at the same time story is interesting. There was a series like that... but I can't remember which series it was. If you like fairy fiction series with serious action, worth looking into.
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - Hm... it's okay series. If you're bored and like semi-slice of life, watch it.
Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - Just like 5-toubun no Hanayome from last season. If you like that series, you'll like this.
Carole & Tuesday - One of the best series from this season... maybe this year. If you like music anime, this is worth watching! Even if you don't care for music anime, watch it! It's good.
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? - I was very disappointed. I like this manga, so when I heard this series coming to anime I was excited... but anime failed me. Sad... very sad...
Shoumetsu Toshi - Hm... so so series. Anime isn't great, story is over done and nothing new.
Joshikausei - Short series, but it's good. Funny highschool girl's daily life. 1st epi was WTF moment, but after that, it's good series.
Mix - If you liked watching Cross Game or even original Touch, this is the series, you MUST watch. If you like baseball anime with extra love story, this is worth trying it out.

There are few other ones I'm watching (like AoT), but nothing to add atm.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #2399
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Isekai Quartet is the stuff of dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Cartman (06-10-2019), ichitaka05 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #2400
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Started watching Tokyo Ghoul, seems pretty good so far. At first I was skeptical since the premise is VERY similar to Parasyte (which I also watched recently and liked) but its shown to be unique enough to keep me interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #2401
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Started watching Tokyo Ghoul, seems pretty good so far. At first I was skeptical since the premise is VERY similar to Parasyte (which I also watched recently and liked) but its shown to be unique enough to keep me interested.
It's the same genre for the most part . I started reading the Tokyo Ghoul manga. So I didn't like the anime as much. But it was still pretty good. Parasyte was okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #2402
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I feel like something is wrong with me. I like comedy. I like funny shows, but I am finding out I don't like shows that are solely comedy, or comedy heavy. Recently I have dropped Desert Punk, Cromartie High School, and am considering dropping Gintama. My backlog is pretty much non-existent at this point and I'm not watching a ton of current season shows either so I'm running short of anime to watch.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #2403
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I feel like something is wrong with me. I like comedy. I like funny shows, but I am finding out I don't like shows that are solely comedy, or comedy heavy. Recently I have dropped Desert Punk, Cromartie High School, and am considering dropping Gintama. My backlog is pretty much non-existent at this point and I'm not watching a ton of current season shows either so I'm running short of anime to watch.
TBH Gintama isn't really comedy only. It's mix of EVERYTHING.

Pure comedy anime would be like... Daily Lives of High School Boys, Asobi Asobase, Saiki, Minami-ke, D-Flag, Chio's School Road, Kill me baby, SYD, Aho Girl & so on. So if you like one of em I've wrote, you like pure comedy anime.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #2404
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
TBH Gintama isn't really comedy only. It's mix of EVERYTHING.

Pure comedy anime would be like... Daily Lives of High School Boys, Asobi Asobase, Saiki, Minami-ke, D-Flag, Chio's School Road, Kill me baby, SYD, Aho Girl & so on. So if you like one of em I've wrote, you like pure comedy anime.
True. I dropped Asobi Asobase while every reviewer was praising it that season. Daily Lives of High School Boys and Chio's School Road were largely just okay to me, and I mostly laughed at Aho Girl because of just how stupid it was, but probably would've dropped it if it wasn't a short show.

Saiki I legitimately like, though. I've noticed I've gotten pickier the more anime I watch, as dropping shows was a very foreign concept to me not too long ago. That being said, I've watched some real trash in the last few seasons just because it was still "watchable", even if that was nicest thing I could say about those shows.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #2405
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
True. I dropped Asobi Asobase while every reviewer was praising it that season. Daily Lives of High School Boys and Chio's School Road were largely just okay to me, and I mostly laughed at Aho Girl because of just how stupid it was, but probably would've dropped it if it wasn't a short show.

Saiki I legitimately like, though. I've noticed I've gotten pickier the more anime I watch, as dropping shows was a very foreign concept to me not too long ago. That being said, I've watched some real trash in the last few seasons just because it was still "watchable", even if that was nicest thing I could say about those shows.
Haha usually that's what happens when you watch enough anime through out your life and expected a lot from some new series, but it's disappointing series. When you pass that, you'll start enjoying the series again.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #2406
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Haha usually that's what happens when you watch enough anime through out your life and expected a lot from some new series, but it's disappointing series. When you pass that, you'll start enjoying the series again.
I'm still watching Black Clover, but I know if I had looked at it after the fact (nearly 100 episodes in) I wouldn't make it.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #2407
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Recently watching Aggravate Retsuko & it's been pretty entertaining
Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #2408
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Recently watching Aggravate Retsuko & it's been pretty entertaining
Lol I've never seen anyone expand the title out from "Aggretsuko" like that before, but I really like that show as well.

Tags
anime, ecchi