follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,694 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasy View Post
Also, I forgot to ask, I have read online that applying a paint pen/clear coat matching the paint over the scratch, then proceeding to buff and wax would help in covering the scratch. Do you have any idea if that would help in the process?
i can understand the theory. my experience is that most scratches are narrower than the application point of the paint pens, so you end up with an overlapping hump of paint outside of the scratch that would then need to be dealt with via wet sanding and a ton more buffing and polishing.

visually, anything protruding from the paint is going to be dramatically more noticeable (mol-e-mol-e-MOL-EEEE) than a scratch-depth indentation into the body work.

the important thing here is that there's no going back after using the paint pen, only significantly harder/more work. my preference is to buff it out and minimize the scratch first. after that, you make the personal determination whether the outcome of that initial process is 'good enough' or if enough of the paint was removed that adding material to it would justify the additional time and effort it would take. if you go with the paint pen, then you NEED sanding blocks so you're sanding only the 'hump', and not putting any pressure on the surrounding area.

with my cars at least, buffing has always been enough to minimize the appearance of the scratches to the point that while some of the scratches could benefit to adding paint, i don't see a point in the additional time and work that it creates, because the end result is still going to be noticeable in some way.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is online now   Reply With Quote