follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So much hate for dual ECU.
Of course using a Motec with CANBUS and getting everything to work perfectly is great but the simplicity and cost of dropping in a separate ECU is unmatched.
For LS you can get a fairly cheap Chevrolet ECU and wiring harness kit that can be thrown in any car and wired up easily. If there is a 2JZ equivilant method why not use it.

What have I lost by going this simple and cheap method? Cruise control, trac control, etc.. all things I never had in older cars I'm used to.

There are many options when it comes to engine wiring and control, none of them are right or wrong. Just have to choose what's best for you (budget, skill level, requirements, etc) Hope everything works out for the OP.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wutsaiu For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
boomslang

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Emtron told me in December that they had not finished with the can system of the FRS / BRZ even for swap options.
Emtron has it working. This information came directly from the creator of the company.

Last edited by boomslang; 01-01-2016 at 06:57 PM.
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boomslang For This Useful Post:
Spartarus (01-03-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
boomslang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post

I'm not 100% about the Haltech, but I was told by somebody who sells them that they do. I haven't fact-checked that yet.
Haltech doesn't support it. They have no interest. I was just down at Haltech USA in late October and talked to Eric Gash specifically about it.
Spartarus (01-03-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #18
boomslang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
That's funny, because I've got an email sitting in my inbox from LiNK/Vipec, with datasheets attached, saying specifically that the i88 suports the GT86 CAN, just not on the stock engine, as they haven't caught up with interfacing with the IDU to run the GDI. But it works great with swaps.
That must be a brand new development from Link. I've spoken to them at the trade shows for 3 years on this application and they never have shown interest.
Spartarus (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #19
theswap09

Drives: black 2jz swap soon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
I can't answer every question that you have, I can't even begin to tell you how many hours we struggled with wiring. I can tell you that we ended up ruining an AEM ecu and wasting DAYS of time chasing an issue that was because the Chase Bays harness that we had was wrong in so many ways. They have in fact stopped making the "plug and burn, I mean play" harnesses because "CAN is too different from car to car" or at least that's what I was told in so many words. Imagine how it feels to find out that your $2000 ecu has burnt resistors because your $1000 wiring harness is wrong.

We don't integrate the 2jz into the car harness. We run it stand alone from the car, it's like a dual ecu setup where the 2 ecus have nothing to do with each other. I don't care if my factory cluster works, I have a Racepak, which I can program to show me anything I would ever want to know about the engine while I'm driving. So I don't really see the need for integration with the car. But that's just my personal preference. MPH still works off the ABS, fuel level still works , and everything else is on the Racepak.

Tweakd performance has their own FRS and have been working on that swap harness forever. I have no idea if it works, I don't think I'll try to find out anytime soon. They are decent guys from my experience with them.

PS I have no problems with my AEM, we went 9.2 @150 with it and will go faster next year.

PSS I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who thinks they can pull off a 2jz swap for cheap is badly mistaking. It takes time, money, patience, and more money.

So the question is, what is the cost of actually doing the wiring. Say if I buy aem v2 with the street racepak, how much are we looking at?
theswap09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 AM   #20
AZ BRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ w/ 3.4L 2JZ Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
I can't answer every question that you have, I can't even begin to tell you how many hours we struggled with wiring. I can tell you that we ended up ruining an AEM ecu and wasting DAYS of time chasing an issue that was because the Chase Bays harness that we had was wrong in so many ways. They have in fact stopped making the "plug and burn, I mean play" harnesses because "CAN is too different from car to car" or at least that's what I was told in so many words. Imagine how it feels to find out that your $2000 ecu has burnt resistors because your $1000 wiring harness is wrong.

We don't integrate the 2jz into the car harness. We run it stand alone from the car, it's like a dual ecu setup where the 2 ecus have nothing to do with each other. I don't care if my factory cluster works, I have a Racepak, which I can program to show me anything I would ever want to know about the engine while I'm driving. So I don't really see the need for integration with the car. But that's just my personal preference. MPH still works off the ABS, fuel level still works , and everything else is on the Racepak.

Tweakd performance has their own FRS and have been working on that swap harness forever. I have no idea if it works, I don't think I'll try to find out anytime soon. They are decent guys from my experience with them.

PS I have no problems with my AEM, we went 9.2 @150 with it and will go faster next year.

PSS I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who thinks they can pull off a 2jz swap for cheap is badly mistaking. It takes time, money, patience, and more money.

I agree with this statement 100%. The chase bays harness did not work and we spent months rewiring the entire thing to get the car to start. Also, I agree it costs a TON of money to do this swap. Plus lots of time in labor and fab. My car was down for about a year. If you plan to do this swap, talk to someone who has done it and knows the issues you will face. Not someone who tells you that you can do it for $10k lol. I have $25-30k in my swap alone in just parts. Goodluck with your build!
AZ BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ BRZ For This Useful Post:
Pure Automotive (01-06-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I told you a few weeks ago to stay away from Chase Bays and in all actuality, build your own harness.

Myself, my builder Ross, and Pure have all had first hand experience with this particular swap into this particular platform for your particular requirements. But you're not listening.

Screw Chase Bays. Just build your own. If you don't know how, pay someone else to do it or scrap your project.

2013 Scion FRS
2JZ-GTE/V160 Swap Build Thread
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #22
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
I told you a few weeks ago to stay away from Chase Bays and in all actuality, build your own harness.

Myself, my builder Ross, and Pure have all had first hand experience with this particular swap into this particular platform for your particular requirements. But you're not listening.

Screw Chase Bays. Just build your own. If you don't know how, pay someone else to do it or scrap your project.
Wow some pretty tough talk, guy might have something here.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
nickmerronesucks (01-19-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 01:04 AM   #23
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Its sad to see that the older the classic swap engines get, the harder and harder itll be to swap into newer cars because of the increasingly difficult canbus systems.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #24
cf6mech

Very soon can-bus solution....any car.....any engine.....help is on the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-18-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #25
cf6mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Its sad to see that the older the classic swap engines get, the harder and harder itll be to swap into newer cars because of the increasingly difficult canbus systems.
Very soon can-bus solution solved.....any car....any engine....even can to non can....help is on the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
lukey86 (01-08-2016), wparsons (01-10-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #26
lukey86
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 ZN6
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
Very soon can-bus solution solved.....any car....any engine....even can to non can....help is on the way.
Stop it! your'e getting me all excited!
lukey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #27
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Will this solution be a single ecu system that will work with any motor swap, and ecu chosen?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
iddrew

Drives: Toyota GT86 Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm very interested in cf6mech's statement. can we have any details?
iddrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2jz, ecu, swap, wiring