follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
MTK__

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another Coilover questionaire

So i've done the forum search and can't find much information on this so i figured i could make a thread on it.

Powered by Max Comp Coils vs Tein Street Flex

I know that no two coilovers are alike but which of these two would be better for someone who wants to have a daily & auto-x. I don't really want to see the fitment or low and all of that, and i know opinion is pretty much all i'd be getting, but which would it be?

I've recently found that there's a deal for the Tein Street flexes so that is the only reason why these two are in the same bracket.

I previously ran PBMs on my previous s-chassis but i haven't seen them on the zn6 much if not at all. I don't want to make the assumption that they'd feel the same on the zn6 as they were on the 240.

So as a TL;DR, has anyone ridden on either coilover and be able to give me input on the ride feel & their reliability? (pls no "dude you can slam the crap out of it with these tho)
MTK__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You listed an inexpensive coilover vs. a decent inexpensive coilover. TEIN is superior and the ride quality is definitely better than the other listed option.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^Implying Parts Shop Max is inferior....... Pbm's are stiff and have survived me crashing my rear, tack abuse and dirt drops. Shocks are fine. Zero issues only, other coil I would get over these is KW'S but if you step to the pro's you will get a better ride. I have the comps and I still think the ride is fine.

Last edited by executivekoala; 12-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by executivekoala View Post
^Implying Parts Shop Max is inferior....... Pbm's are stiff and have survived me crashing my rear, tack abuse and dirt drops. Shocks are fine. Zero issues only, other coil I would get over these is KW'S and thats because I like the color but if you step to the pro's you will get a better ride. I have the comps and I still think the ride is fine.
"Stiff" describes my old car's setup, which I knew was crap but was the best compromise I could get with available parts and budget (I invested nothing in the suspension, the car came with adjustable struts and performed best with the back full stiff... on 130lb springs!) I know nothing about the PBM's, so have no opinion here, but would be bumping them down the list if they were on mine, based on your description. Makes me curious - wish it were easy to go try everything out.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the comps and I still think the ride is fine.
What do you think of the ride compared to the Tein Street Flex?
Quote:
other coil I would get over these is KW'S and thats because I like the color
Right, because the color gives an indication of the quality of the damper.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I haven't rode on teins. Its stiff and they are drift parts and its made for more stability through transitions so ride quality isn't really 1st priority. I would rather have KW'S for the level of adjustment color was a joke, but everything to me in the 1k to 1.5k range is mostly the same. PBM does stock replacement parts in the U.S. so rebuild is not a issue.
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to executivekoala For This Useful Post:
Shinchu (05-29-2016)

Tags
coilovers, powered by max, tein coilovers, tein street flex