follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #29
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How far away from the exhaust are people doing these DB readings?

My buddy’s 2015 stock Z/28 blew sound at Laguna Seca @ 93db, but that’s also like 40 feet away from the sound booth.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #30
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
The inverse square law states that the decibels will drop by 6 for every doubling of the distance

Quote:
For example, in a typical classroom with a teachers voice signal of 65 decibels at a three-foot distance from the teacher; at 6 feet away the sound intensity will be 59 decibels and at twelve feet it will diminish down to 53 decibels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

This would suggest that an exhaust has to be pretty loud at distance to catch the attention of a cop, and that the distance measured from the tailpipe would matter too. The measurement goes like this:

Quote:
For example, the California Highway Patrol specifies a maximum limit of 95 decibels measured no more than 20 inches away from the exhaust pipe, while the engine is running between 3,000 RPM and 5,000 RPM (revolutions per minute).
https://itstillruns.com/tell-exhaust-loud-7658380.html
Horrid_Funk (05-23-2019), JeremyR (05-23-2019), norcalpb (05-23-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #31
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Where did you get that number?
Theres a bunch of youtube videos of people doing a db test and showing the Abarth showing a range of between 98-110 db depending on the video and equipment used.

Donut Media also did a video on the exhaust law and test one of their employees stock Fiat Abarth and they got around the number i mentioned. So yes while these arent official numbers, Donut Media did follow the exact procedure when doing the test (compared to someone standing behind with an iphone) and so i'm inclined to think they were pretty accurate on their findings.

Thats the video with a timestamp where they test the stock Abarth. Actual number they got was 100db and some change so i was off by two, but fact of the matter is thats still illegal.

The thing is, there isnt a universal sound compliance level. Not really. While most cars stay around the 90db range, a lot of manufactures dont make their cars to apply to this standard because it changes per state and per country. As i stated above, Oregon has a DB limit of 88. And since CA has a noise limit of 95db...who do car manufactures listen to? Thats usually why a lot of these laws come with modifiers. For example, one of the modifiers say that your car MUST have a working muffler. Which again the stock Abarth actually fails because it literally comes from the factory with a muffler delete. And now you begin to see the issue. Because a fully stock Fiat Abarth which can legally be sold in California by Fiat dealers, is immediately not compliant with noise AND exhaust laws in California on the showroom floor.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-26-2019), mgarcia707 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The inverse square law states that the decibels will drop by 6 for every doubling of the distance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

This would suggest that an exhaust has to be pretty loud at distance to catch the attention of a cop, and that the distance measured from the tailpipe would matter too. The measurement goes like this:

https://itstillruns.com/tell-exhaust-loud-7658380.html
We have the exact same wording in our laws here. What I have found is that people get so focused on the decibels that they ignore the part of the law that says "unusual noise". Droning fart cans, pops and crackles, whistles and throbbing bass notes can all attract attention no matter how loud they actually are. The point being that it doesn't take volume to attract attention.
Irace86.2.0 (05-26-2019), mgarcia707 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #33
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
We have the exact same wording in our laws here. What I have found is that people get so focused on the decibels that they ignore the part of the law that says "unusual noise". Droning fart cans, pops and crackles, whistles and throbbing bass notes can all attract attention no matter how loud they actually are. The point being that it doesn't take volume to attract attention.
Yeah, while DB is a measurment of volume, its acutally more a measurement of the generated energy of sound waves. Perceived volume is what really needs to be focused on here. For a long time i was running UEL catless headers with the Nameless Axelback. 100% over the DB limit, however i never got pulled (and my car was pretty heavily modded too) and i largley think its because the perceived volume of my car was a lot lower than the actual reading.

Point being, even if you are under the db limit, if your car has a ton of pops and rasp and makes a ton of noise that most exhausts dont make, you'll be pulled almost guaranteed.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
mgarcia707 (05-24-2019), Tcoat (05-24-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #34
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Theres a bunch of youtube videos of people doing a db test and showing the Abarth showing a range of between 98-110 db depending on the video and equipment used.

Donut Media also did a video on the exhaust law and test one of their employees stock Fiat Abarth and they got around the number i mentioned. So yes while these arent official numbers, Donut Media did follow the exact procedure when doing the test (compared to someone standing behind with an iphone) and so i'm inclined to think they were pretty accurate on their findings.

Thats the video with a timestamp where they test the stock Abarth. Actual number they got was 100db and some change so i was off by two, but fact of the matter is thats still illegal.

The thing is, there isnt a universal sound compliance level. Not really. While most cars stay around the 90db range, a lot of manufactures dont make their cars to apply to this standard because it changes per state and per country. As i stated above, Oregon has a DB limit of 88. And since CA has a noise limit of 95db...who do car manufactures listen to? Thats usually why a lot of these laws come with modifiers. For example, one of the modifiers say that your car MUST have a working muffler. Which again the stock Abarth actually fails because it literally comes from the factory with a muffler delete. And now you begin to see the issue. Because a fully stock Fiat Abarth which can legally be sold in California by Fiat dealers, is immediately not compliant with noise AND exhaust laws in California on the showroom floor.
There might be a db difference between reving a motor and holding the motor at a given rpm. There is also a difference between having the motor rev and having the motor under load because the turbo will be spooling under load and change the note.

It definitely sounds loud (see video below for awesome sounds). Just like how the Euro model has a muffler, I thought the California model might come with a muffler. They obviously make Federal and California emission vehicles, so I figured there might also be different versions too or an exhaust valve like what Mustangs have.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfQ73shGGoc[/ame]
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #35
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I got pulled over the other night on 101 South in SouthSF by CHP. He said he pulled me over for exhaust and made me pop my hood. He didnt find anything. Also mentioned that my car is too low and mentioned something about headlight height from the ground, which i knew about. Didn’t cite me for anything, just gave me a verbal warning and let me off.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #36
candygram4mongo

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
I got pulled over the other night on 101 South in SouthSF by CHP. He said he pulled me over for exhaust and made me pop my hood. He didnt find anything. Also mentioned that my car is too low and mentioned something about headlight height from the ground, which i knew about. Didn’t cite me for anything, just gave me a verbal warning and let me off.
Maybe the law has changed since last I looked. The law on lowering used to be that no part of the car can extend below the rims.

Are your rear windows tinted? Cops hate tinted windows, monster chrome exhaust tips and big subwoofers.

The MR2 in my sig was low and loud. I got away with it due to: luck, no window tint, boring looking exhaust tip, but mostly because I look like an old white dentist.
candygram4mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to candygram4mongo For This Useful Post:
N8RH8R (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #37
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygram4mongo View Post
Maybe the law has changed since last I looked. The law on lowering used to be that no part of the car can extend below the rims.

Are your rear windows tinted? Cops hate tinted windows, monster chrome exhaust tips and big subwoofers.

The MR2 in my sig was low and loud. I got away with it due to: luck, no window tint, boring looking exhaust tip, but mostly because I look like an old white dentist.
Here you go for the headlight law: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=24400

No more than 54" high or 22" low.

iirc, Nick has a Tomei type-80. Not the best exhaust in terms of loudness (at 4.5k rpm it's def over 100 db w/o silencer). I have had mine on for about 5 years (catback only and 90% of the time w/o silencer) and have not been pulled over at all for it. I think it really depends on how you are driving and whether or not the LEO is looking for a target.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #38
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygram4mongo View Post

Im running 5% tint all around and rolled them down once i saw the cop put his lights on. Wasnt speeding at all, i was in the slow lane passing 280 on 101 exiting Paul Ave.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #39
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
There might be a db difference between reving a motor and holding the motor at a given rpm. There is also a difference between having the motor rev and having the motor under load because the turbo will be spooling under load and change the note.

While there definitely is a difference, the problem is that the test for noise compliance is the car stationary and holding revs at the RPMs the car would be at for cruising. Which means the turbo isnt adding any sort of muffler effect which means its louder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #40
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
While there definitely is a difference, the problem is that the test for noise compliance is the car stationary and holding revs at the RPMs the car would be at for cruising. Which means the turbo isnt adding any sort of muffler effect which means its louder.
Exactly
Old 06-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
candygram4mongo

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
Im running 5% tint all around and rolled them down once i saw the cop put his lights on. Wasnt speeding at all, i was in the slow lane passing 280 on 101 exiting Paul Ave.
That's messed up. Sometimes you do everything right and still get pulled over. Not anything you can do but roll with it I guess.
candygram4mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #42
ImADuck

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Did you end up keeping the exhaust on and doing the certification?
ImADuck is offline   Reply With Quote