follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
westbase
!ナイトシフト!

Drives: '97 s14, '13 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exclamation No sound from side speakers

I bought my brz three weeks ago. Come Monday, it's been back at the dealer for 2 of those 3 weeks. They can't figure out whats wrong.

I purchased the car off the showroom floor and when they tried to start it up to bring outside for me, it wouldn't start. Battery was completely dead. So they charged it up, it started and I was told to come back the next day to pick it up so they could put in a new battery. I go the next day and the car is running fine but discover the head unit won't turn on. They take it in the back real quick and fix it. Now I get it back once again and the head unit is working, radio, nav, phone, etc. Sound is coming from the front and rear speakers but not the center ones on the doors. They tell me to bring it back when I have the time and they'll fix it. I bring it back a week later and it's been there since.

I keep calling to get updates but they can't figure it out. They said they've replaced the amps and that's not it. Reflashed the car and that didn't work. So now the tech told me he has to trace wires and find out which one isn't working, which is gonna take a while.

Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem. I'm furious at this point and don't know what to do.
westbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The fact that it's both left and right would tell me that it's the head unit itself. I can't think of anything that would affect both left and right that is not in the head unit or the amps, which it sounds like they've already checked. Wiring would only affect one or the other speaker, since I don't think anything is in common between left and right.

Steve
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like head unit but it could be that the door speakers are disconnected somehow....
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
door speakers wont work if there is a wiring problem in harness. they need power from trunk mounted amp. start there amp, headunit, wiring
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbase View Post
I bought my brz three weeks ago. Come Monday, it's been back at the dealer for 2 of those 3 weeks. They can't figure out whats wrong.

I purchased the car off the showroom floor and when they tried to start it up to bring outside for me, it wouldn't start. Battery was completely dead. So they charged it up, it started and I was told to come back the next day to pick it up so they could put in a new battery. I go the next day and the car is running fine but discover the head unit won't turn on. They take it in the back real quick and fix it. Now I get it back once again and the head unit is working, radio, nav, phone, etc. Sound is coming from the front and rear speakers but not the center ones on the doors. They tell me to bring it back when I have the time and they'll fix it. I bring it back a week later and it's been there since.

I keep calling to get updates but they can't figure it out. They said they've replaced the amps and that's not it. Reflashed the car and that didn't work. So now the tech told me he has to trace wires and find out which one isn't working, which is gonna take a while.

Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem. I'm furious at this point and don't know what to do.
It sounds like you bought a lemon.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Mr.EvoMR (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like they owe you a car that works
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Have them check the factory amp. The amp only powers the door speakers not the speakers in the dash. If the head unit is working and you are getting sound through the other speakers than it's probably an amp issue.