follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #799
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The rebadge to Toyota has nothing to do with the changes. They would have been the exact same changes if still badged as a Scion. The car is a Toyota everywhere else in the world and did not look the way it did because of the Scion badging.
I completely understand that. I simply was meaning to say that it should have been under the Toyota branding from the beginning just like the rest of the world.
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal05 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #800
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal05 View Post
I completely understand that. I simply was meaning to say that it should have been under the Toyota branding from the beginning just like the rest of the world.
Oh gotcha. It read different. Think it was a failed attempt to spotlight Scion a bit. I can't speak to other regions but they did a horrid job of marketing them here though so if it was supposed to be a bail out car then they really screwed up. I literally stumbled across the car at the dealership in 2014 and had never seen a single ad or commercial for it so didn't even know it existed. If it was a Toyota from the start you can bet there would have been advertising everyplace. There would also probably have been at least two trim levels (which we may finally see in 18) which could have addressed the wants of the racecar crowd and the quasi luxury gang.
Oh well I guess they had a plan and it just didn't work out.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #801
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
TCoat, and figures on how many people trade cars based on a very minor "upgrade"? SWAG based on your experience? I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who seem to care more about what others think of what they drive than they do.

I was hoping for more as well, but it would take a significant upgrade to get me to jump, and we have already seen where it's going in the looks department.
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatScan For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #802
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
TCoat, and figures on how many people trade cars based on a very minor "upgrade"? SWAG based on your experience? I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who seem to care more about what others think of what they drive than they do.

I was hoping for more as well, but it would take a significant upgrade to get me to jump, and we have already seen where it's going in the looks department.
Not sure what you are saying at the start there?
Don't know that there are a pile looking to swap right now. Anybody trading just for a few little boggles need to take a close look at their financial responsibility because they will take a shit kickin' in the trade.
I personally am looking at a trade 4 years from now. Of course it could be a totally different car by then which could be good or bad depending on what I want at that time.
raven1231 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #803
CatScan

Quote:
Anybody trading just for a few little boggles need to take a close look at their financial responsibility because they will take a shit kickin' in the trade.
Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. I get the impression that there are a number of people here who will do just that. I'm not counting those that can walk in with cash.

This is probably my last car, and I honestly believe that the first-gen is going to turn out to be the rough diamond of the bunch. I'd love to be surprised, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CatScan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #804
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. I get the impression that there are a number of people here who will do just that. I'm not counting those that can walk in with cash.

This is probably my last car, and I honestly believe that the first-gen is going to turn out to be the rough diamond of the bunch. I'd love to be surprised, though.
LOL so far the consensus would appear that many would like some bits and pieces but are not looking to trade for the whole new package. There will always be some though and if that is what they want and they can eat the loss then great.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #805
CatScan

I'm trying to think of ways to make mine look like it was made in the 70's. Need some retro wheels.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #806
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,949 Times in 11,380 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can't speak to other regions but they did a horrid job of marketing them here though so if it was supposed to be a bail out car then they really screwed up.
In my opinion, Toyota never really did anything to promote Scion as a brand. Honestly, except for seeing one FR-S ad run in a theater in 2012, and the one or two since then, I don't recall seeing any other Scion ads at all.

It was like they were half trying. Even the whole "First 86" thing was a half-hearted effort. Heck, I had to convince my dealer it was a real thing to take my deposit. I thought as a whole Scion could have used the contest as a bigger marketing tool than they did, similar to what Chevy is doing now with their car and truck ads. They could have done a series of commercials as they built the hype with us, and even used some footage from the Long Beach event and the test drives.

Oh well, water under the bridge at this point.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #807
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
No you are not. My grandsons ride back there all the time. And my daughter did. Once.
I once drove my parents and sister home from the airport in the BRZ.
Yes, we're Asian, so we're not giants (and no, it wasn't particularly comfortable) - but still!
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-20-2016), Tcoat (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #808
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So people that don't like it are whining? We can't express our opinion? Only the people that like it should speak up?
Come on dude this is the real world and people don't like the same things and say so. Great you like it. There will be plenty that do and I am happy for them. I am not trying to tell anybody else they shouldn't like it nor am I saying that they should have made changes that I would like. I am not part of the "everybody gets a ribbon" generation and if I don't like things I will say so. Most of us that don't like the changes have stated exactly why WE don't like them and our opinions are just as valid as yours.
Hold on while I find you a ribbon.

EDIT: found one

Seriously though, I'm not from that generation either, and my comment wasn't about that. I'll admit that I'm not sure how I feel about the subjective things like the looks, but the remaining engineering things that they've changed... the negativity surrounding all of it is just so bizarre to me. None of it hurts anything. None of it makes the car "less pure".

This car is already wholly synthetic as a sports car... Throttle by wire, electric power steering, clutch on a cam with a helper spring, ABS/EBD?!?. And guess what, we like the car anyways. Because in spite of the synthetic nature of the car, Toyota / Subaru got those things right. Have we no faith that they could continue to evolve the car and get more things right? Innocent until proven guilty? I get that it's standard, and popular, to go with the negative mob mentality online, I've been on the internet since before there were web pages. I'm just over it.

Is it too much to ask for people to at least try to be positive and/or respectful? (yes, I know that it is.)
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2016), Zaku (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #809
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Hold on while I find you a ribbon.

EDIT: found one

Seriously though, I'm not from that generation either, and my comment wasn't about that. I'll admit that I'm not sure how I feel about the subjective things like the looks, but the remaining engineering things that they've changed... the negativity surrounding all of it is just so bizarre to me. None of it hurts anything. None of it makes the car "less pure".

This car is already wholly synthetic as a sports car... Throttle by wire, electric power steering, clutch on a cam with a helper spring, ABS/EBD?!?. And guess what, we like the car anyways. Because in spite of the synthetic nature of the car, Toyota / Subaru got those things right. Have we no faith that they could continue to evolve the car and get more things right? Innocent until proven guilty? I get that it's standard, and popular, to go with the negative mob mentality online, I've been on the internet since before there were web pages. I'm just over it.

Is it too much to ask for people to at least try to be positive and/or respectful? (yes, I know that it is.)

I don't think anybody anyplace accused the car of being "les pure". Headed in a new direction yes but the "purity" never came into play. The whole pure this is a thought process based on individual concepts anyway.
As far as being negative goes, well that was the reaction that people had. It is their true and honest reaction and if some express their dissatisfaction in ways that others do not like well that is what makes us individuals. To put a false positive spin on things would be a huge mistake as then those responsible for things would base all future actions upon those results. Everybody would be at the mercy of those that do not want to ruffle feathers or voice an objection so nobody would truly get what they want.
Who are we supposed to respect? Toyota? Those of us that don't like some of the changes are supposed to just say "OK Toyota we don't like the changes but since you are so great we will let it slide"?
The majority (of those that spoke up) here do not like some of the changes but that does not make it a negative mob mentality at work just the popular vote.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #810
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Seems like that interior picture (picture 11 that showed the interior with grey stitching) has been removed from the press site. We may have a different toyota interior than the one shown, by that I mean prolly the same as the BRZ on the other thread.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #811
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
I didn't go through this whole thread, but find myself agreeing with Tcoat. The updated looks don't work for me. Front end ugly, quarter panel emblems just make it busy, back end ugly, steering wheel ugly, 5hp WOW more powa!!!!

I'm still in love with my '13. Wider wheels and a little different look really made me happy with it and I'll keep it for awhile longer.

Until I'm ready to afford a GT350R.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #812
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
I didn't go through this whole thread, but find myself agreeing with Tcoat. The updated looks don't work for me. Front end ugly, quarter panel emblems just make it busy, back end ugly, steering wheel ugly, 5hp WOW more powa!!!!

I'm still in love with my '13. Wider wheels and a little different look really made me happy with it and I'll keep it for awhile longer.

Until I'm ready to afford a GT350R.
You'll never be able to go through this whole thread. Whenever you think you're near the end, you'll find there's been another 5 pages added to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I've only carried the grand daughter back there once. I tore them out so I could save weight then decided to add honda del sol/350z style storage compartments instead
Wait.... You tore out your granddaughter to save weight? How much could she possibly have weighed?! (/iknowexactlywhatyoumeantjustbeingatroll)
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
SC10N (03-25-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard