follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
Unholypanda

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightened View Post
How many miles have you driven since flashing the new tune?
100+. A lot less since I put the cat back on. Not sure if that would effect the trims/tune at all. I did that on Thursday and have only driven maybe 25-30 miles since then.
Unholypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
Lightened
Every Ounce Counts

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
.94 IAM is not bad for Florida heat and humidity.

Have you checked for any exhaust leaks starting at the headers to head(s) and all the way back at each connection point of the entire system?

Brand new exhaust flanges can sometimes slightly warp during welding of the pipe and won't seal properly... throwing off ST/LT values.

Last edited by Lightened; 03-09-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Lightened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #17
Lightened
Every Ounce Counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholypanda View Post
100+. A lot less since I put the cat back on. Not sure if that would effect the trims/tune at all. I did that on Thursday and have only driven maybe 25-30 miles since then.

Yes, you need to log more miles and vary the speed and engine load. Normal daily driving and pulls in different gears.

As the ECU learns it allows more power if the conditions are right or reduces power to protect itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightened For This Useful Post:
why? (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Unholypanda

Quote:
.94 IAM is not bad for Florida heat and humidity... fuel quality seems good.

Have you checked for any exhaust leaks starting at the headers to head(s) and all the way back at each connection point of the entire system?

Brand new exhaust flanges can sometimes slightly warp during welding of the pipe and won't seal properly throwing off ST/LT values.
Ya when re-tightening after a couple days I checked for residue on the fittings, and everything seemed clean. I've also put my hand near the fitting when idle to feel for any leaks and haven't found anything.

Quote:
Yes, you need to log more miles and vary the speed and engine load. Normal daily driving and pulls in different gears.

As the ECU learns it allows more power if the conditions are right or reduces power to protect itself.

Would it be worth doing another fresh flash to let it relearn with the new catback? I'm planning on doing an E85 swap here in the next few days so I guess that would do that by default though so I probably shouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #19
Lightened
Every Ounce Counts

Just wait and then flash for E85.

Have fun!

Old 08-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #20
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Just went and logged a pull. The IAM started at .7 when I turned the car on, and while driving went to .94 and stayed there. Not sure what that means.

The fuel trims are slightly worrying. ST Ranged from +7 to -15. The LT ranged from -2 to -11. Not sure exactly where in the log i should check the reading to get what I'm looking for. At the start of the pull it ranged from ST @ 4-7 and LT at -4. Once over 2k it went to 0 ST and -2.34 LT and stayed there. I guess that was where it went closed loop?

While the throttle was >90 the AFM was in between 12 and 13 so that seems alright. Over the whole log it ranged from 11 to 20. That was while idling driving normal etc...

I attached a CSV of the data log from the OFT, also https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/pull?log=0&data=1-13
AFR looked fine, no knock correction, IAM wasn’t dropping. So it looks fine for the most part.
But Fuel trims are a bit high. Possible exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. I would double check your header isn’t leaking. Could clean maf sensor for good measure.
On 93 octane you should have no problem getting to and staying at IAM 1. Although depending on how you drove and how long. You may not have given it enough time. Can take a solid 10mins from start on those maps.
Also fuel trims and everything else can take a good 100+ miles to sort out off a fresh tune. Starting at .7 is to have a safe universal tune mostly for people with 91 octane. On 93 you could change it to start at .9 and have it go to 1 faster.

Based on all this I bet your car wasn’t at it’s full potential on those dynos.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #21
Unholypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
AFR looked fine, no knock correction, IAM wasn’t dropping. So it looks fine for the most part.
But Fuel trims are a bit high. Possible exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. I would double check your header isn’t leaking. Could clean maf sensor for good measure.
On 93 octane you should have no problem getting to and staying at IAM 1. Although depending on how you drove and how long. You may not have given it enough time. Can take a solid 10mins from start on those maps.
Also fuel trims and everything else can take a good 100+ miles to sort out off a fresh tune. Starting at .7 is to have a safe universal tune mostly for people with 91 octane. On 93 you could change it to start at .9 and have it go to 1 faster.

I'll check the header for leaks tomorrow and clean the sensor.

I only drove for maybe 10m tops to the store and back. I'll check it tomorrow on my way to work to see what it gets to.

It sat for a good 30 min while we did paperwork and got it strapped in then threw it on and did the pulls so it might not have been up to temp and ready to go.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
Lightened
Every Ounce Counts

Stock airbox & filter?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
Unholypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post

Just did another quick test. Nothing major. Tried doing the "vishnu reset" to get the IAM up to 1 by steady accelerating in 3rd a few times. https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/tac...og=0&data=1-13

Didn't budge. Then when I floored it on the way back it bumped up to .84 https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/taco-bell-drive?log=1

I feel like I'm missing something in the way it works.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #24
Unholypanda

Quote:
Stock airbox & filter?

Ya. I have a K&N drop in coming Tuesday. Found out the hard way that the 2017 MT has a different airbox.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #25
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Just did another quick test. Nothing major. Tried doing the "vishnu reset" to get the IAM up to 1 by steady accelerating in 3rd a few times. https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/tac...og=0&data=1-13

Didn't budge. Then when I floored it on the way back it bumped up to .84 https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/taco-bell-drive?log=1

@steve99 should be able to better look at your logs.

Not sure why your having a hard time getting IAM up. 93 should have no problem. Your intake temps are pretty high it’s possible that could be playing a role. Also your fuel trims seem a bit high.

Every time you turn off/on the car it’ll reset back to .7 so your dyno almost certainly was done at .7 which is going to pull enough timing to make some lower numbers like you had.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #26
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Logs don't look too bad.

On good 93 jist modify iam initial to be 1 then it will start with iam at 1 ie get max power straight away.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think it takes longer for ecu to learn pump gas then e85. My experience anyway.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
How many miles between when you flashed the tune and the dyno pull?

The heat and humidity will not be a friend. What shop did you use? There are some shady places in florida, and they might do everything to keep that as low as possible to try and get some business from you.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote