follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
SportInjected

Drives: for the sake of driving
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
After being a tech at a dealership for 3 years, I can say that the most common phrase I've come to hear is: "it's not my car, why should I care?". That is the reason why I do everything myself, unless I ABSOLUTELY have to take it elsewhere.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
There was a member on here who had similar damage to the lower part of his bumper and fixed it easily in his driveway. A full repaint of the bumper is not even necessary (and I would try to avoid it because the oem job is usually pretty good).
I had a nice tear in the lower front of the bumper after hitting something on the road. It wasn't quite as big at the OP's but he has nearly no paint damage as it is only a crack, probably could be fixed really easy.

I would think with a heat gun the bumper could be warmed up and set back in place, the crack super-glued, perhaps given a little Bondo putty to any existing cracks, sanded down a bit, primed, and painted relatively easily. You'd only have to get about a couple inches on both sides of the crack to 'blend' it and that's so low on the bumper where it'd probably be unnoticeable.

The only question I have is how whiteout's pearl-esque property factors in when painting. But really, if you get the paint code it's a spot-on match if you spray it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
R Corse

Drives: Ducati R Corse
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP should have them order in from Japan a factory painted bumper. So much easier. Be present to watch them install it, and free breakfast for his time.
R Corse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
I had a nice tear in the lower front of the bumper after hitting something on the road. It wasn't quite as big at the OP's but he has nearly no paint damage as it is only a crack, probably could be fixed really easy.

I would think with a heat gun the bumper could be warmed up and set back in place, the crack super-glued, perhaps given a little Bondo putty to any existing cracks, sanded down a bit, primed, and painted relatively easily. You'd only have to get about a couple inches on both sides of the crack to 'blend' it and that's so low on the bumper where it'd probably be unnoticeable.

The only question I have is how whiteout's pearl-esque property factors in when painting. But really, if you get the paint code it's a spot-on match if you spray it.
I believe pearl finishes require three coats: a base coat, a mid coat (for the pearl effect), and the clear coat. Depending on the size, it might be hard the really match it with only the base coat. I wonder if the dealer sells a 3-step paint kit.
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Drives: 1994 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubz View Post
Should I be concerned about the bumper paint longevity since it will no longer be factory?
Absolutely! It also decreases the value of the car. Not to mention paint match.

Doesn't the factory offer pre-painted components?

Looking for BRZ FR-S in Wake County NC for testing. PM me.
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
R Corse

Drives: Ducati R Corse
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwood9000 View Post
I believe pearl finishes require three coats: a base coat, a mid coat (for the pearl effect), and the clear coat. Depending on the size, it might be hard the really match it with only the base coat. I wonder if the dealer sells a 3-step paint kit.
Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
Absolutely! It also decreases the value of the car. Not to mention paint match.

Doesn't the factory offer pre-painted components?
^This. Yes, and in this color.
R Corse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #35
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I'd request diminished value for damaging a brand new car. If it's had bodywork, it's not worth as much; it doesn't matter if it looks as good as new. Just my .02.
very interesting, I didn't know this
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
True, if they are going to already order you a new bumper, I'm pretty sure it comes pre-painted from the OEM. The cost of it that way surely would be cheaper than it unpainted and then having to pay for a paint job afterwards.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
They'll probably end up having to respray a third of the car just to get the paint to blend professionally...seems serious enough to me.
definitly as for it, if you were to apprise the car for future sale, it will come up and your resale value will drop.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #38
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
True, if they are going to already order you a new bumper, I'm pretty sure it comes pre-painted from the OEM. The cost of it that way surely would be cheaper than it unpainted and then having to pay for a paint job afterwards.
but a new bumber wont have the same number as rest of the car. this is a tall tail sign that the car have body damage. some area can actually find this out, and it will drop the value of the car.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
D87

Drives: G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDuquette View Post
Be patient and have a new bumper shipped from Japan.

^

I had a 94 Sentra SE-R that got smacked in the rear bumper by some lame driver making a turn and didn't see me GOING STRAIGHT. Since it was on her dime, I took it to a Nissan dealer and they said they can repaint the bumper but the quality wouldn't be like factory because "the factory must have some special method of getting the paint to really adhere to the bumper because we can never quite match the quality of an OEM painted bumper."

Of course this was 2004 so things may have improved. I personally would hold out for a factory-painted bumper.
D87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #40
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just because it gets painted at the factory doesn't mean it's going to match perfectly. Durability may be better than a body shop paint job, but the replacement bumper cover certainly won't be painted with the same 'batch' of paint your car was originally painted with. As a matter of fact, some of the pictures I've seen on here of the white pearl paint appear that the bumper covers (front & rear) don't match the body perfectly right from the factory and part of that is because the flexible bumpers have an additive in the paint to allow flexibility and they are prepped for paint differently and are not painted while installed on the car.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
Zoomie

Drives: VW R32
Usually the best method when feasible is to have the panel repaired as opposed to replaced if it is a numbered part and can be done adequately. The second best thing is have panel swapped out if the factory can do the finish work(ie. prepainted part from Gunma). Thirdly, would be to select a body shop of YOUR CHOOSING and have it repaired. Lastly, is to have the dealer use their "pet body shop" or have the in house guys do it. I would suggest having your insurance Co. get involved also. I have had this type damage happen more than once (new 1986 Saab Turbo, new 2007 Lotus Elise). The dealer should get some kudos for pointing out the damage as opposed to letting you think it was your fault (if they did in fact). A thank you here will go a long way.

Don't be attitudinal with the dealer. Be firm direct and to the point but not an ass. They may owe you something but nobody likes to loose face, money or feel belittled, not you, not them.

Sorry if this all seems disjointed, I'm on my third double shot of esspresso and i can a thread a sewing machine while it's still running...
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #42
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Take it to pro repair shop. Its still a new car so it should be near 100% quality fix. Then get free service or parts from the dealer. Dont stress, sucks but life happens. Maybe aftermarket kit?
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote