follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #169
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry I haven't really posted my full impression yet. I've had some issues with my car that have no bearing on this product (blew out a tire today, had a couple issues that still need to be taken care of through the warranty also), coupled with tax season and the Fiscal cliff that have kept me very busy.

I would completely agree with everything mentioned in the above review, except from the notchiness in the tach. I was looking more for a smoother powerband, and will be looking forward to going FI sometime later this year (if everything stays ons chedule).

With that being said, as soon as I receive the new bracket added on for this kit, I will do some CAD drawings for a top cover that I will present to Jack in case he wants to offer these as an option. I was going to go with a metal insulated cap, but I think the plastic will look much more like an oem piece.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #170
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What do you guys mean notchiness?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #171
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Lots of feedback offline and in pm’s from the guys that received kits… thanks to all and we’re delighted you’re enjoying them.

E85 maps - in testing and we’ll post them as soon as they’re final. Takes a little longer than normal maps because things change over a broader range of the engine maps… requires more drivability testing than normal pump gas maps to ensure everything is just the way it should be.

Mounting brackets – everybody that purchased a kit before the brackets were included will receive one…

Cheers
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unichip Jack For This Useful Post:
ScionFrsFan (01-06-2013), xcelir8brz (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #172
ScionFrsFan

Jack, is it safe to run e85 in winter? To make things clear... do I just change the unichip map to e85 and pour e85 in and I'm good to go? Are you guys experiencing good power gains from it?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #173
ScionFrsFan

bumb
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #174
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In a few more days of driving...the notchiness up high is gone and overall I feel I have a refined and smooth consistent powerband. The ECU must have adapted. And I do believe I now feel more linear power.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcelir8brz For This Useful Post:
bakerr6 (01-07-2013), Mike86 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #175
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFrsFan View Post
Jack, is it safe to run e85 in winter? To make things clear... do I just change the unichip map to e85 and pour e85 in and I'm good to go? Are you guys experiencing good power gains from it?
E85 is safe to run in the winter time, but usually gas stations have a summer and a winter blend. I know in the last car I had run e85 in, my winter blend had a much lower amount of ethanol in it. The tune would just need to be adjusted to compensate for the different blends
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #176
ScionFrsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
E85 is safe to run in the winter time, but usually gas stations have a summer and a winter blend. I know in the last car I had run e85 in, my winter blend had a much lower amount of ethanol in it. The tune would just need to be adjusted to compensate for the different blends
I hope they do that. lol
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #177
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFrsFan View Post
I hope they do that. lol
I'm going to see how far I can take everythingw hile just running a piggyback. Eventually I may need to switch to a full ems (such as hydra) but for the time being, I really like this product. jack, I have a picture to show you about the place where I mounted the flux2. It fits perfectly in line to where my wideband guage will be, along with another guage if I choose to run a dual pod (may run fuel pressure)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #178
xcelir8brz

Good evening everyone!

Today I received access to the Unichip Tuner Website. Anyhow, long story short, I downloaded the software, drivers, and all maps for the FR-S/BRZ. Furthermore, after hooking up the cable I purchased, installed the drivers, and ran the software I proceeded out to the garage. I popped the hood, plugged the cable from the laptop to the back of the Unichip and pressed the power switch that is located inline the cable to the ON position. The Unichip software lit up that it was connected. I then basically did a factory dump/backup of the Unichip. I then remapped the 5 available slots with the existing tune I had in position 0, and fiddled around with the remaining positions. I don't have the 5 way selector, but I only really need the two way selector. So between the first and second position I should be set. However, I noticed that there was the Immobilizer file in the directory and if that is what I think it is, I might want the five way selector, and use that loaded up on the system as well.

Jack - how much would you charge me for the 5-way switch shipped to 60435? Furthermore, how do I know which number selection I'm on?

Anyhow, bottom line - it is super easy to extract and load maps with this unit. It didn't take me more than a few minutes to figure everything out.

Again - this product is really cool!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcelir8brz For This Useful Post:
ScionFrsFan (01-07-2013), TrickyFrenchman (01-08-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #179
xcelir8brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
I'd also like to see the 91/93 grade dyno's for each of the 17 maps available for our vehicle.

BUMP.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #180
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
Good evening everyone!

Today I received access to the Unichip Tuner Website. Anyhow, long story short, I downloaded the software, drivers, and all maps for the FR-S/BRZ. Furthermore, after hooking up the cable I purchased, installed the drivers, and ran the software I proceeded out to the garage. I popped the hood, plugged the cable from the laptop to the back of the Unichip and pressed the power switch that is located inline the cable to the ON position. The Unichip software lit up that it was connected. I then basically did a factory dump/backup of the Unichip. I then remapped the 5 available slots with the existing tune I had in position 0, and fiddled around with the remaining positions. I don't have the 5 way selector, but I only really need the two way selector. So between the first and second position I should be set. However, I noticed that there was the Immobilizer file in the directory and if that is what I think it is, I might want the five way selector, and use that loaded up on the system as well.

Jack - how much would you charge me for the 5-way switch shipped to 60435? Furthermore, how do I know which number selection I'm on?

Anyhow, bottom line - it is super easy to extract and load maps with this unit. It didn't take me more than a few minutes to figure everything out.

Again - this product is really cool!
I have the 5 way selecotr and it's very easy. You just turn your key to the "on" position, then your flux2 will connect to the car. Once this occurs, you cana ctually switch between maps right then and there. I've used the immobilizer map before (wont even let you start it), but have yet to use the valet map. I may try it out when I get better. I'm 99% sure I've got the flu, and I've still been working 10+ hours today.

I'm probably going to take off early today though to go to the doctors
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #181
xcelir8brz

Jack-

What is the difference in drop in filter and cat back vs. drop in filter and header back map? More fuel dump?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #182
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Mapping SW… glad you found the mapping software straight forward. We’ve tried to make it as simple and quick as possible… for anybody looking for details, there is a step by step outline with screen shots at http://www.unichip.us/267-faq-can-i-reprogram-my-unichip The whole process takes about a minute once you connect to the Unichip. You can also unplug the Unichip and reprogram it at your PC since the USB powers the Unichip.

Map switching vs. downloading maps… I’ve had some questions about “changing maps” and want to ensure we’re all using the same terms for the same things. There are two distinct actions that fall under the general topic of "changing maps..."

Map switching – changing maps already loaded in the Unichip… done on the fly with maps already loaded in the Unichip… happens immediately and doesn’t involve any other equipment. No reprogramming, no downloading.

Map downloading – putting new data in the Unichip computer. This requires a PC or laptop connected to the Unichip via the MapsQ download cable. No limits to how often you can do it, take about a minute to load maps, and you can load anything between 1 and 5 maps.

Since the Unichip computer contains multiple maps, you don’t have to reprogram it to change maps… you can select any loaded map “flipping a switch” whether that switch is a mechanical switch or a button on the Flux2 Display.

With the Flux2 Display, as bakerr6 mentions, you do have to cycle the ignition key to change the map - that's an intentional “step” to prevent you from accidentally selecting the immobilizer map (if loaded)… the immobilizer map causes the engine to immediately stop when selected… not the best if you’re doing 70 in traffic…

With the mechanical switch, the Unichip switches immediately so if you load up the immobilizer map, know what will happen if you flip to that map. We recommend that you’re always stationary when you change maps.

Cheers
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote