follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #169
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldi3r View Post
Car ran fine before I took it in. They replaced the valve springs while I had my clutch replaced. Less than 500 miles later I was sitting on the side of the freeway with a bent rod. The paint on the new valve springs came off, clogged and choked my engine resulting in a bent rod.

Bad news: Recall broke my engine.
Good news: New short block thanks to Subaru and currently enjoying the 2019 Forester loaner while my car is in the shop.
So...
The paint flaked off the springs, clogged up the oil and blew the engine heh? This is a new one. I think it's about time that they recall the recall. It's obvious that many more cars are blowing up because of the recall than ever would have blown up on their own. In other words, you are much more likely to have your car "stall" after the recall than if you hadn't had it done. So it is a lot less "safe" to drive your car after the recall. It is after all, all about safety.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
CT86 (03-16-2019), humfrz (03-10-2019), RallySport (03-10-2019), Teseo (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #170
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I believe there was a section in my letter indicating that you can have the repair performed by an independent mechanic and file for reimbursement (Q8 in the FAQ you linked) which should get the VIN on the list of vehicles that have been repaired.

My current thought is having The Racers Line do the work (I also need a throwout bearing replaced, the leaky timing chain cover resealed, and an overall engine health check), but I haven't called him up about it yet.

I'd rather pay out of pocket to have the engine built by someone I trust, I'd DIY but as I'm not ASE certified I have a hunch that'd be a big fat waste of time.
You may be reimburresed if the work was previously performed. You can not choose to have the work done somewhere else. Only the dealer can perform the recall.

Edit: I’m my experience that’s a big may. The exact failure better be listed on the RO, and it’s probably going to have been done at the dealer.

Last edited by maslin; 03-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #171
blitzpa9
choke

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm scheduled to take my BRZ @ 54Kmi in this week to the Subaru dealer for the recall...

I've had zero issues with the car to this point and I really really don't want to lose the trust I have in it. This thread has me fearing the outcome and wondering if it's logical to not have it done and wait it out or just heavily monitor the job and over-communicate with the service techs.
blitzpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #172
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpa9 View Post
I'm scheduled to take my BRZ @ 54Kmi in this week to the Subaru dealer for the recall...

I've had zero issues with the car to this point and I really really don't want to lose the trust I have in it. This thread has me fearing the outcome and wondering if it's logical to not have it done and wait it out or just heavily monitor the job and over-communicate with the service techs.
If I take mine to my regular dealer I won't get to communicate with the tech at all. They never allow the customer to speak with anyone other than the service adviser. That's a big part of why I haven't had it done yet, I won't leave a perfectly well running car for a partial engine rebuild if I can't communicate with the person doing it. The other local Subaru dealer is generally not the friendliest place around but there's a guy in the shop that's pretty savvy and does some great work on Subies outside of work so I need to get in touch with him.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #173
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
If I take mine to my regular dealer I won't get to communicate with the tech at all. They never allow the customer to speak with anyone other than the service adviser. That's a big part of why I haven't had it done yet, I won't leave a perfectly well running car for a partial engine rebuild if I can't communicate with the person doing it. The other local Subaru dealer is generally not the friendliest place around but there's a guy in the shop that's pretty savvy and does some great work on Subies outside of work so I need to get in touch with him.
And if it does fail, and they pull it apart to inspect it, you are still going to be stuck with the disassembly bill if they chose not to cover it
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
CT86 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #174
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Why would you do that when you can have the recall work done, plus all that other stuff, for the cost of a TOB, down at your local Bay area Toyota dealership, by a highly trained, highly certified, highly experienced mechanic with a PhD in FA20 engineering and maintenance - ??

humfrz
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-10-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #175
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
I haven't seen the comparisons, but does anyone know if there's been a better success rate with BRZ's being repaired at Subaru dealers?
Also, can you take a recalled FR-S into a Subaru dealer for the same recall repair service?
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #176
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofrsnsokleen View Post
I haven't seen the comparisons, but does anyone know if there's been a better success rate with BRZ's being repaired at Subaru dealers?
Also, can you take a recalled FR-S into a Subaru dealer for the same recall repair service?

Yes.

No.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:03 AM   #177
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWBRZ View Post
Exactly. I just wish I had a choice; in CA you have to take it in.
great reason to leave that state.
I hear North Carolina is nice.

It is raining in Oregon.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #178
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
I hear North Carolina is nice.

It is raining in Oregon.

NC isn't too bad, but if I had to choose I'd pick a state with no emissions laws, no income tax, and no snow. If I didn't have family here I wouldn't be here most likely.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #179
blitzpa9
choke

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpa9 View Post
Just to follow up the valve spring recall work on my brz was successfully completed at the dealer. I had them replace the spark plugs at the same time. They had it for an entire week.. Mon-Mon. No noticeable issues after ~100 miles but I've not pushed it at all. Hopefully this reduces some of the uncertainty for brz owners and I will update my post if anything changes.
blitzpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blitzpa9 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (03-19-2019), Teseo (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #180
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldi3r View Post
Car ran fine before I took it in. They replaced the valve springs while I had my clutch replaced. Less than 500 miles later I was sitting on the side of the freeway with a bent rod. The paint on the new valve springs came off, clogged and choked my engine resulting in a bent rod.

Bad news: Recall broke my engine.
Good news: New short block thanks to Subaru and currently enjoying the 2019 Forester loaner while my car is in the shop.
Please add your failure to the registry thread if you have not.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #181
ChrisChan

Drives: Raven 2013 FRS
Danggg. Been reading all the horror stories and I am sceptical about getting the recall done
Sounds like more people are having problems after cuz the freaking techs aren’t even following the manual at Toyota. I’m scheduled to get it done next Monday. My local dealer said they have done it 4 times, but it sounds like from some people that even then the techs screwup. Idk if MacHaik Toyota is any good sooo if any one has gotten it done from them and has not had any problems yet plz leme know
ChrisChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #182
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChan View Post
Danggg. Been reading all the horror stories and I am sceptical about getting the recall done
Sounds like more people are having problems after cuz the freaking techs aren’t even following the manual at Toyota. I’m scheduled to get it done next Monday. My local dealer said they have done it 4 times, but it sounds like from some people that even then the techs screwup. Idk if MacHaik Toyota is any good sooo if any one has gotten it done from them and has not had any problems yet plz leme know
unless your car only has 3000 miles or so there is no real reason to have the recall done, and plenty to not have it done yet.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote