follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery tender charging through cigarette outlet?

Hi,
I could do this on my last car, but can you charge the battery through the cigarette outlet? I have a battery tender with the cigarette adapter and I would just need to plug it into my car when it's not driven for a while so I can make sure the battery is being maintained and conditioned.

I'm not sure if the FRS and BRZ can be charged this way...I don't like to charge the battery via access to the hood... appreciate any information to charging the battery the easy way.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
brianL.

Drives: BRZ/1J Supra
That dose not make any sense to do on any car your not charging it because your using the battery's power to "charge it" I really hope this a is a prank thread
brianL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL. View Post
That dose not make any sense to do on any car your not charging it because your using the battery's power to "charge it" I really hope this a is a prank thread
No, it makes perfect sense. It's 'backfeeding' - rather than connecting directly to the battery terminals, you're connecting to the cigarette lighter and charging the battery through that, with the current going the opposite direction it normally would. OP's talking about external power > battery tender > cigarette lighter > wiring and fusebox > battery, instead of external power > battery tender > battery. He's certainly not talking about battery > wiring and fusebox > cigarette lighter > battery tender > battery, that's not possible.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the twins cigarette light outlets are switched by the ignition, so they would be disconnected from the battery when the car is off. I don't think it would work on these cars.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nalc For This Useful Post:
imom (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
dehydratedH2O

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just try it. Isn't there an indicator on the battery tender as to whether or not it's working?
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It won't work on the FR-S because both the cigarette outlets are not powered when the car is off. You could either rewire one to be always on (I believe there is a DIY) or just hook a trickle charger straight up to the battery
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Yes you can.

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/auto-jumpe...out-cables.cfm

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
dehydratedH2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
That is designed to work when the ignition/accessory switch is on, unlike a trickle charger. It is still possible that a trickle charger won't work while the car is fully off.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehydratedH2O View Post
That is designed to work when the ignition/accessory switch is on, unlike a trickle charger. It is still possible that a trickle charger won't work while the car is fully off.
Well the OP's question was whether or not you could charge it through the port and we know for a fact, that it can be.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
It won't work on the FR-S because both the cigarette outlets are not powered when the car is off. You could either rewire one to be always on (I believe there is a DIY) or just hook a trickle charger straight up to the battery
The whole point of the battery tender cigarette adapter is is convenience.... Just crack the window, plug battery tender to the car and close the door and charge maintain the battery...your battery last longer being maintained.

I don't like to crack the hood and leave wires to drape onto the paint... My last car the cigarette was always powered so it was very cool to do this. Sucks that 86 cars are off...

Why I don't just try it? I like to research before I can potentially do something that can go bad and give more headaches...hence ask a question and also can be reference for others who store their cars or leave it parked for some time.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
On my last car I got a pigtail with fuse and SAE end to permanently attach to the battery terminals. About $7 US.

When I needed to trickle charge, I'd hook up the tender set it somewhere in the engine bay and drop the AC plug end down through the bottom.
Close the hood and no mess other than an extension cord running under the car.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
dehydratedH2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
Why I don't just try it? I like to research before I can potentially do something that can go bad and give more headaches...hence ask a question and also can be reference for others who store their cars or leave it parked for some time.
it won't cause anything bad if you just try it. worst case scenario is the battery tender just doesn't tend through the outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
On my last car I got a pigtail with fuse and SAE end to permanently attach to the battery terminals. About $7 US.

When I needed to trickle charge, I'd hook up the tender set it somewhere in the engine bay and drop the AC plug end down through the bottom.
Close the hood and no mess other than an extension cord running under the car.
this is a very good idea. I do it for my motorcycles and hide the pigtail under the rear set. @imom could do this and zip-tie the pigtail inside the engine bay, then pull it out and close the hood on the wire, keeping the tender outside of the engine bay while he's storing the car.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You can fish the SAE cord end up from underneath by dropping a piece of string down and leave the tender on the floor under the car.
Mine was in a carport and I didn't want to take the chance that the tender would walk off.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
imom (11-07-2013)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
Archfarseer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2007 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, I can say that I tried it via the cigarette lighter, and it did not work. (The charger and lighter adapter were good because they work in my 997 turbo)
Archfarseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
If the outlet is not powered when the car is off, it will not work. But it can be done if you modify the outlet to always have power. For exemple you can intall an "add a fuse" in the fuses box, to power the outlet. There should be DIY's on that. Not super hard, but not exactly for newbie either.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote