follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #617
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
That's what it's called in the instructions when you remove it. It goes from the crash beam to the upper radiator support.
Ah, yes, we put that back on.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #618
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for confirming! It's as I figured.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #619
86fun

Install is done! First time working on an 86! Drove it around for 10min to get up to temp, just a few slight throttle pushes. Seems to be hesitating a bit and then lurching forward, kind of like a turbo would feel, delayed response. More testing tomorrow.

The belt may need to "break in" as it sounds like maybe it's squealing slightly, probably slippery when new... or the pulleys are just noisy.

Nice sound, whirrrrrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrrrrr weeeeeeee!

I can tell it wants to get up and go quick.

Back to dyno and speed tests for my review after it's sorted...
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #620
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Seems to be hesitating a bit and then lurching forward, kind of like a turbo would feel, delayed response.
That would be the "dead pedal" everyone is talking about. Give the ECU a few more miles to learn and it will improve.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #621
86fun

Got a bit longer ride in this morning. Nothing too fancy since it's raining currently. I did a couple full throttle runs in a single gear and wow, it is definitely a noticeable difference in power. I can't imagine not being happy with the power add, it's pretty awesome! Not used to having so much torque available right after shifting, love it!

I still have massive hesitation/stumbling from 2-3k RPMs though, to the point where the car will just barely accelerate. I'm not sure the throttle learning is the cause, I don't remember it feeling quite this bad pre-SC, but I'll continue to observe for a few more drives. If it stays like this it would not be acceptable at all though.

This thing rocks!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #622
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I still have massive hesitation/stumbling from 2-3k RPMs though, to the point where the car will just barely accelerate. I'm not sure the throttle learning is the cause, I don't remember it feeling quite this bad pre-SC, but I'll continue to observe for a few more drives. If it stays like this it would not be acceptable at all though.
Log it, if it's that obvious it will be clear as to why.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #623
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Install is done! First time working on an 86! Drove it around for 10min to get up to temp, just a few slight throttle pushes. Seems to be hesitating a bit and then lurching forward, kind of like a turbo would feel, delayed response. More testing tomorrow.

The belt may need to "break in" as it sounds like maybe it's squealing slightly, probably slippery when new... or the pulleys are just noisy.

Nice sound, whirrrrrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrr whirrrrrrrrrrr weeeeeeee!

I can tell it wants to get up and go quick.

Back to dyno and speed tests for my review after it's sorted...
Sounds like your belt may be dirty. Remove it, wash it with soap and water, allow it to dry, and then reinstall.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #624
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Cool, then I'm an owner and can be added to the list.
done!

Only owners who ask to be added are added; not everyone wants the world to know, unfortunately.

I would estimate for every owner on the list, there are 7-8 more at this point.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86fun (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #625
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Sounds like your belt may be dirty. Remove it, wash it with soap and water, allow it to dry, and then reinstall.

I listened to the sound(s) with the hood open and found it was partly from a deep whining / rumbling / tumbling sound from the SC screws. That sound comes directly from inside the manifold. It is more noisy at startup.

The other part is some ticking/cracking like sound from the high pressure fuel pump... without the very heavy and very heavily padded shield over it (removed as part of install) you can hear it a lot more.

It has a nice subtle whine on initial spin-up, I'm liking it!

I got a third short drive in and the hesitation seems like it might be reducing, so looks like the throttle learning at work possibly.

Need some dry weather dang it!
The Following User Says Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #626
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This may be a silly question, but considering the rain and the added power, it's not traction control/tire spin is it?

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #627
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
This may be a silly question, but considering the rain and the added power, it's not traction control/tire spin is it?

It's just second nature to hold that button down now when I turn on the car, it's literally never engaged! It does feel a lot like that though, the cutting out of power.

Speaking of tire spin, it does this plenty well in the rain in the first couple gears now.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #628
86fun

I got a good hour of light driving in today for a thorough daily driver experience, mostly low/part throttle cruising. The hesitation has reduced somewhat, and I think the throttle learning is over at this point, however, there is still a lot of hesitation and even bucking in certain load situations. It seems to be if you stick to 4-7k RPM and full throttle it's pretty good, not much to notice, just fast! When you stick below 4, and especially below 3k RPM, full or part throttle it's wacky, especially part throttle. The car will actually not accelerate and start bucking. As you depress the throttle slowly it will slow down and then start bucking. I'm about to go out for a logging run to capture it. Not sure what the problem is, hopefully the logging will give a clue. Maybe the tune isn't a good match for my particular car...?

Any other owners experience low RPM part throttle issues?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #629
86fun

Logging done, attached my best capture. It was hard to get a steady state with the issue. I tried several times accelerating through the area but it happened too quick to log properly. What I did was go up a slight hill and keep the throttle mostly steady, maybe a slight increase just to keep moving or slightly speeding up. Just poking at the log it seems like several values changed noticeably during the trouble period... about half way through until the end. AFR changed drastically, ignition angle, knock count, etc. If anyone with experience with these logs can take a look I'm curious what you see. I'll send to Edelbrock this week and see what they think as well. I did notice the issue is not always as pronounced as it is sometimes. Sometimes the bucking is really bad and it just won't accelerate, other times I can hardly notice... odd!
Attached Files
File Type: txt ZA1JB01C_6B 83 4D_Eforce - 23-01-2016 18-06-04.txt (28.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #630
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I got a good hour of light driving in today for a thorough daily driver experience, mostly low/part throttle cruising. The hesitation has reduced somewhat, and I think the throttle learning is over at this point, however, there is still a lot of hesitation and even bucking in certain load situations. It seems to be if you stick to 4-7k RPM and full throttle it's pretty good, not much to notice, just fast! When you stick below 4, and especially below 3k RPM, full or part throttle it's wacky, especially part throttle. The car will actually not accelerate and start bucking. As you depress the throttle slowly it will slow down and then start bucking. I'm about to go out for a logging run to capture it. Not sure what the problem is, hopefully the logging will give a clue. Maybe the tune isn't a good match for my particular car...?

Any other owners experience low RPM part throttle issues?
Yup I get it from time to time, but whenever it's happening I don't have my laptop and Ecutek with me. I'd be very interested to see your logs. I get pretty heavy hesitation around 3k rpm - but it only happens every so often. A lot of the time the car drives fine, it feels like a misfire or the ecu is pulling timing. As you said, after 4K rpm it seems fine.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote