follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
kharn83

Drives: S15 Silvia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LED DRL strip - DRLS stay on with headlights (but not using ACC/IGN wire?)

Hi All

Ive purchased and installed the DRL LED strips that replace the GT spec foglights, and as a result, my DRLs stay on as long as my headlights are off.

When my headlights come on, my DRLS turn off (as per the expected behaviour of the old Foglights / DRLs)

Id like to wire up the LED DRLs to stay on when headlights are on, but I dont really want to put a wire thru the firewall to access the acc/ign line of the car.

I'm thinking I could connect an additional wire between the headlights and the foglight wire thats currently running my LED DRLs, so that when my foglights are off and no longer powering the DRLS, my headlights will power them instead.

Altho this causes the complication that when my foglights are powered on, my headlights will try to power on (not good), so I'll need a diode on that connecting line between the headlights and the foglights, so power can only flow one way, i.e. from the headlight to the foglights..

Could anyone advise what kind of diode(s) I would need, or is there an alternate way to wire up the LEDs without going into the cabin (e.g. wiring into the fuse box etc?)?

Thanks heaps in advance,
Rob
kharn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Wasn't there an ECU update that includes the ability to adjust drl behavior?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
kharn83

Drives: S15 Silvia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yup thanks pixel for this info

i checked with my dealer and ur correct, then can set it so it stays on with my headlights thanks! no need for me to wire up more wires now, yay
kharn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
Wasn't there an ECU update that includes the ability to adjust drl behavior?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hello,
I have a Series 10 FRS and I have been wondering about whether that was an option that could be programmed at the dealership. Do you have a confirmation about this, can you post a link?
Thanks
Pat
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSciFRS View Post
Hello,
I have a Series 10 FRS and I have been wondering about whether that was an option that could be programmed at the dealership. Do you have a confirmation about this, can you post a link?
Thanks
Pat
Here's your confirmation ! so dealer will charge a fee for it, some won't. They simply need to plug in the OBD2 using Techstream (if I'm not mistaken) but you could also do it yourself and any future personalization using a cable from Ebay and this software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharn83 View Post
yup thanks pixel for this info

i checked with my dealer and ur correct, then can set it so it stays on with my headlights thanks! no need for me to wire up more wires now, yay
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote