follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #29
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
no more tint inspection in NJ. dont confuse people here.
NJ now only test on OBDII scan and as long as no cel, you're ok.
they check visual on cat though. no sniff.
Lol, don't confuse people? As I said above I am not up to date on what they check so I was not aware... But that's awesome.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #30
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
no more tint inspection in NJ. dont confuse people here.
NJ now only test on OBDII scan and as long as no cel, you're ok.
they check visual on cat though. no sniff.
Not trying to confuse anyone. As I stated, they're not supposed to fail you for safety items like tint, mirrors, head/tail lights, etc. But per "brz fred" below, the station he went to failed him for tint anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brz fred View Post
As a matter of fact... I went thru the nj inspection in mayslanding and they failed me for window tint on that car, said nothing about w/e they scanned in the obd
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
brz fred

Drives: 2015 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Not trying to confuse anyone. As I stated, they're not supposed to fail you for safety items like tint, mirrors, head/tail lights, etc. But per "brz fred" below, the station he went to failed him for tint anyways.
Sorry I failed to mention is was a few years ago when they still did check for tint, but the point was it passed the monitor test with no cats and a tune

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
knandez17

Drives: Subaru BRZ LTD GBS
Wanted to bump this again - any success? I've got a stage 2 tune, catless uel, no front license plate and tints. Basically every excuse to fail inspection. Any recommendations on shops, etc.?
knandez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #33
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
It's tint. And no not yet, I am not due until the end of May. I will probably end up asking around on Facebook for someone that 'know's a guy'.

I believe someone said earlier that tint doesn't matter anymore, not sure about front plate. Cops around me are strict on no front plate and front tint so I went with the grimmspeed relocator. My tint is 55% all the way around so it's not as noticeable as darker shades.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #34
knandez17

I haven't had issues with being stopped for the tints (15%) or lack of front plate, and I've had them on/off for 4 years now. Plus, a gold card doesn't hurt. I'm in the same boat, hunting for a "guy".
Old 02-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #35
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
go to DMV site and read. they dont check outside of your vehicle now.
they only check OBDII and as long as you dont throw CEL you're passed.
this is one of reason inspection fee is reduced to about $40 from $80
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #36
knandez17

Just got my inspection done last Friday at the DMV in Lodi. Whoever said they just check ODBII was wrong. They ran undercarriage cameras on me and popped my hood looking for my cats. I think the fact that it was 15 minutes before closing on a Friday, they just said F' it and let me go after reading my ODBII and nothing popped up. You could tell they knew what was up, as the one guy asked me if I was a "covert" lol.

Lesson learned: Go Friday at 4:15pm. Guys just wanna get home to their women and kids.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #37
UchihaFanBoy

Drives: 16 BRZ,99 Forester,13 FRS(RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knandez17 View Post
Just got my inspection done last Friday at the DMV in Lodi. Whoever said they just check ODBII was wrong. They ran undercarriage cameras on me and popped my hood looking for my cats. I think the fact that it was 15 minutes before closing on a Friday, they just said F' it and let me go after reading my ODBII and nothing popped up. You could tell they knew what was up, as the one guy asked me if I was a "covert" lol.

Lesson learned: Go Friday at 4:15pm. Guys just wanna get home to their women and kids.
Yes they do check for Cats ..My cousin works for the lodi one. He said they check if theres cats most of the time. but looking under the hood is weird. They have no reason to look under there. Plus I just did that last week with my Civic and they just did the ODBII and passed me
UchihaFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UchihaFanBoy For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (03-08-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #38
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
To the OP not sure if you got yours inspected yet at this point but I saw this thread looking for answers prior to my inspection. I took mine in yesterday and passed running a Tomei UEL catless header, OFT stage 2 and Invidia high flow midpipe. From what I saw in the screen the OBD reader didn't check for O2 readiness. All it said was 'OBD Test Complete'. They did check for cats via camera and my inspector had to rock my car back and forth but eventually saw the high flow cat. My exhaust was stinking up the joint too because they kept stopping and starting the car but the inspectors didn't seem to care. I would say to anyone running OFT tunes that they are safe to have it done at the inspection station instead of paying a shop. FWIW I went to the Deptford inspection station.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #39
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Bump, can anyone weigh in who had oft stage 2 with a catless uel and no high flow cat? I'm due by June 1 and debating paying $75 or attempting dmv.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
dirtbike250x

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Bump, can anyone weigh in who had oft stage 2 with a catless uel and no high flow cat? I'm due by June 1 and debating paying $75 or attempting dmv.
You'll be OK at regular dmv.
-TRD Catback, UEL Header and Tune, Blitz Drop in Filter, Mishimoto Silicone Intake tube, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, 17x9 w/245/40/17 PSS, RS*R Coilovers custom track alignment, Check out my YouTube for more track videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...O1T2Q3xu4m4bYQ
dirtbike250x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtbike250x For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (05-31-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #41
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why not just swap only the stock front pipe with the factory catalytic converter back on? You can see the catalytic converter from the engine bay, as well as from under the car with a stock front pipe. Granted it's an effort to swap it, it's less painful than swapping a header.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
i Think so. i didnt go to DMV to get it inspected since my car is lowered i cannot go over that ramp.

so i paid at shop. no question asked.
i guess no problem at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Wow so your ECU showed full ECU readiness despite the OFT tune disabling the cat efficiency CEL? Gah, I'm getting conflicting information compared to another thread.

I can say for sure here in PA my car has passed emissions and they have the same standards near philadephia as you do, just a "visual" and a OBD-II scan.

Also according to torque my emissions readiness is good, this was done on a full tank mind you so the EVAP shows ready as well:

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote