follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does this mean Subaru can do as they please with the car? I mean minus the styling and the D4S system, couldn't Subaru keep the platform since they made it?
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
Does this mean Subaru can do as they please with the car? I mean minus the styling and the D4S system, couldn't Subaru keep the platform since they made it?
Depends on the contract that was made when the deal was finalized.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
What do you guys think this ultimately says about cars that were supposedly in development that targeted this market segment such as the revival of the lightweight Nissan RWD coupes?
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeloyangster View Post
What do you guys think this ultimately says about cars that were supposedly in development that targeted this market segment such as the revival of the lightweight Nissan RWD coupes?
I think this rumor has about this much weight and impact:

Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I think this rumor has about this much weight and impact:

Do you mean the rumor/speculation of the Toyota/Subaru collaboration? Or the Revival of this market segment?

As far as the collaboration is concerned, even though I haven't researched to find the origins of the speculation, I feel like it does hold some weight. I'm not sure how much money the two companies were hoping to make from the twins or if these were just genuinely 'HALO' cars but Subaru has a Halo car and with Toyota being in bed with BMW they can certainly aim for a higher end Halo car.

I'd certainly love to see a second generation FRS/BRZ and would look forward to upgrading to those models if they do happen. If they do not happen then I'd fear this market segment would dissolve and we wouldn't have any more cheap and fun RWD cars.
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeloyangster View Post
Do you mean the rumor/speculation of the Toyota/Subaru collaboration? Or the Revival of this market segment?
I said 'this rumor' as in pertaining to the rumor discussed in the thread.

There's no evidence, no secret source, just a PR guy saying "Yeah we don't know where exactly we will be 3 years from now"

Everybody loves talking about how the sky is falling, but sales are decent (better than I expected), you can buy the car today, it's well received and has stirred a reaction from other automakers. Conspirasize all you want, it's just a little fruitless imho.

Of course we'd all love to see new S2ks and RX9s and Z cars and budget Porsches and for the pony cars to shed 800 lbs but rumor mongering and internet comments don't suddenly make this a viable market segment.

Edit: They've been coy about the next generation for awhile now, honest that they don't know the path forward quite yet.
Quote:
Tada confirmed to Drive he is already developing the concept for a successor, and hinted that it could be a radically different car, potentially dropping the boxer engine altogether - which raises questions about Subaru's involvement and whether there will be follow-up to the sister BRZ.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...809-2rleu.html

That's from August of last year.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-25-2014 at 01:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
steeloyangster (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone ever search anymore?

Is 99% of population sheep and believe all this crap?, enough to post obviously.

Sorry until there's a REAL link directly from Toyota or Subaru this is recycled garbage.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #22
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post

I don't think they would continue because it's not a "typical" Subaru it doesn't have the Subaru "look"/D4S/have four doors/AWD, the only similarities it has to the rest of the family is the factory, squeaks, and Subaru nameplate. Ever notice in Subaru TV & radio advertising the BRZ is never referenced?

It was a mistake for Toyota not have done this fully in-house, the Subaru team wanted no part of it, the production numbers are skewed in Toyota's favor (not that Subaru is going out of their way to sell them), QA could have been a little better (but to be fair it could've also suffered from one of Toyota's many recent recalls).

I can see the sharing of technology but not the manufacturing, look at the:
3000GT and Stealth (3000GT was cooler)
Precis and Excel (nobody cares)
Eclipse and Talon (first two Eclipse gens were best)
Matrix and Vibe (Pontiac went belly up and took them both down)
323 and Laser (meh)

-none ended so well
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
airjonny (06-30-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. But changing the engine from a boxer to an inline would completely screw up this car and it's lovely CG?
It's worse than that. It'll also raise the beltline due to pedestrian safety regs. The end result will be a much less attractive car.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
dnieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I said 'this rumor' as in pertaining to the rumor discussed in the thread.

There's no evidence, no secret source, just a PR guy saying "Yeah we don't know where exactly we will be 3 years from now"

Everybody loves talking about how the sky is falling, but sales are decent (better than I expected), you can buy the car today, it's well received and has stirred a reaction from other automakers. Conspirasize all you want, it's just a little fruitless imho.

Of course we'd all love to see new S2ks and RX9s and Z cars and budget Porsches and for the pony cars to shed 800 lbs but rumor mongering and internet comments don't suddenly make this a viable market segment.

Edit: They've been coy about the next generation for awhile now, honest that they don't know the path forward quite yet.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...809-2rleu.html

That's from August of last year.

Budget Porsche? .... I think the budget Porsches are the Boxster and Cayenne -if they go any cheaper common people might purchase them and lessen the value of the marque (can't have that!).

Last edited by dnieves; 06-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Budget Porsche? .... I think the budget Porsches are the Boxster and Cayenne -if they go any cheaper common people my purchase them and lessen the value of the marque (can't have that!).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67880

Just a rumor but just as substantial as anything else on the horizon, there are no concrete plans for a new RWD coupe that could compete in the under $40k market aside from a weak promise from Nissan that the IDX is being prepared for production and refreshes of current models (Miata, Camaro, Alfa twin of the miata).
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I drove my BRZ off a cliff Thelma and Louise style but at the end I just dove out.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #27
dnieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
I drove my BRZ off a cliff Thelma and Louise style but at the end I just dove out.
I read the 2016 is going to come with a soft top and rocket boosters, should've waited....
Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Yes it will be discontinued next week if both companies aren't doing anything over the weekend. You know why!?

Because they'll be releasing the convertible FRS that has VVTL-I (toyota's failed attempt at Vtec) while Subaru on the other hand will be releasing an AWD STI BRZ with Turbo you know how I know? Because it's on the internet and whatever is on the internet is true, Right?
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote