follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
I just recently installed my isc v2 rear lca and I'm getting some clunking noise passenger side. The pillowball of the lca is completely lubed up, everything torque to spec, and I even took out the sway bar w/ the end links to see if it was those that were making the noise but it wasn't. It can only be heard while driving at any speeds but there's no noise when rolling the body side to side or the trunk up and down. Any ideas?
Clunking or popping when car is in motion usually points to a bad pillowball of sorts. What suspension are you running, and is the top nut on the strut loose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myv View Post
Just wondering, what LCAs are these?
See OP's post. I even highlighted for you...

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #16
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Clunking or popping when car is in motion usually points to a bad pillowball of sorts. What suspension are you running, and is the top nut on the strut loose?

-alex
Running HKS Hipermax SP. I haven't had an issue with them at all. The top nut on the strut is not loose at all. I had double check everything made sure it was tight @ factory settings (for the rears) for the suspension. It's only the pillowballs of the lower control arms where it bolts into the chassis that is making the noise. As stated earlier, originally it was the passenger side with the noise, then I re-did them (no swapping of lca's as they were only off one at a time) and the noise went over to the driver side. Fixed it by loosening the nut that connected the lca to the chassis and the sound went away. After alignment, the driver side and passenger side came back (with the passenger side making noise once a while), and I had to re-loosen the nut again for the driver side to get rid of the sound.

Edit: Maybe @ISC Suspension can chime in.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #17
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

-alex
Oops, thanks
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
Xtream

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just re-did the driver side LCA. Still clunking with the pillowball straight. Everything tightened and torqued. I have no idea now.
Damn man, after about a week of driving around the passenger side started making noise again on my car. I jacked it up to see if I could find anything and one of the locking nuts was loose on the adjustment arm. I tightened it up and noise was gone. If you greased up the pillowball and everything is tight, maybe contact the vendor about getting a replacement?
Xtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #19
Bach415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtream View Post
Damn man, after about a week of driving around the passenger side started making noise again on my car. I jacked it up to see if I could find anything and one of the locking nuts was loose on the adjustment arm. I tightened it up and noise was gone. If you greased up the pillowball and everything is tight, maybe contact the vendor about getting a replacement?
The locking nuts are tight for sure. I double checked them, even after the alignment. I'm going to take it all apart one more time and then tighten the bolt connected to the pillowball and move it a lot to see if it still makes noise w/o having the strut/endlink connected to the LCA. If it does make noise/causes me to loosen the nut a lot, then I'll contact the manufacture instead.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
ISC Suspension

Drives: ISC Suspension BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ISC Suspension
OP, give us a call when you get a chance. We can try and figure out if it is a bad pillow ball or an installation error. Most of the time noise comes from the hardware not being tightened down enough. What torque specs did you use for all the hardware? Sorry for not replying earlier, did not see this until today!

603-715-9078 x2
ISC Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ISC Suspension For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Bach415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISC Suspension View Post
OP, give us a call when you get a chance. We can try and figure out if it is a bad pillow ball or an installation error. Most of the time noise comes from the hardware not being tightened down enough. What torque specs did you use for all the hardware? Sorry for not replying earlier, did not see this until today!

603-715-9078 x2
It's okay. I will give you guys a call asap but for sure by today. The torque spec for each bolt from inside out was as followed, lca to chassis @ 59 ft/lbs, endlink @ 29 ft/lbs, coilover @ 59ft/lbs, and hub @ 59 ft/lbs. This was done while the car was still in the air as well as when it is on the ground.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
FRSCanuck

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
It's okay. I will give you guys a call asap but for sure by today. The torque spec for each bolt from inside out was as followed, lca to chassis @ 59 ft/lbs, endlink @ 29 ft/lbs, coilover @ 59ft/lbs, and hub @ 59 ft/lbs. This was done while the car was still in the air as well as when it is on the ground.
i'm running the same LCA's as you and i don't hear any noises
FRSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #23
Bach415

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCanuck View Post
i'm running the same LCA's as you and i don't hear any noises
I actually got it fixed. The supplied tube of lube wasn't enough for the pillow ball joints I guess. Bought some automotive grease and just put a lot of it in the joints. No sound as of right now.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #24
ISC Suspension

Drives: ISC Suspension BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ISC Suspension
Quote:
I actually got it fixed. The supplied tube of lube wasn't enough for the pillow ball joints I guess. Bought some automotive grease and just put a lot of it in the joints. No sound as of right now.
Glad to see you got it resolved. Let us know if there are any other issues!
ISC Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ISC Suspension For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (07-06-2015)