follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I haven't run into any cons, but I should qualify it with I'm not a "power user" of the device. Mine plugged right in, worked right away. Since the BT device is really just sending data to the tablet/phone for manipulation, I would think most of the updates are done on the software side not on the device itself, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping and what would make the most sense as that's really all the keys for the snap-on unit are. Sometimes I just get a little ahead of myself without thinking.

Definitely like the tablet manual / diagnostic idea....considering I do most of my own car maintenance these days, that'd be great.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
And btw, as far as using data on a tablet... You can 1- use wifi/bluetooth tethering from your phone (what I will do (6gb plan)) 2- get a second plan for your tablet ($$$ expensive) 3- Buy / download an app with downloadable maps (does not use data)

I plan to use my phone to stream web radio/gps maps/etc... 6gb per month is more than i need.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Koomoo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Since we don't get nav with the FR-S and I don't want to subscribe to a cell data service which is required for the Bespoke, what are the alternatives? Hate the windshield-mounted options. Does the new iPad have a GPS receiver? It would make a great high-res nav with a good app.
Back when I had my civic Si 2000 I did use iPhone and iPad 1&2 useing tomtom app the app sells for $49.99-$59.99 but if u jailbreak ur iphone or iPad u can get the app for free from installous the app works great for me and i never had a issue... They also sell proper mounts through amazon and eBay but not how great they work. I usually stick my iPad between the driver and passenger seat where the ebrakes are and it fits snug there.... If anyone is planing to do this buy the wifi. Version of the iPad and tether ur iPhone data to the iPad so U don't have buy a data service for ur iPad or buy a more pricey version of the iPad
Koomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #32
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wonder if the wiring harness of a FR-S would be compatible if you installed the Subaru BRZ navigation unit? Maybe a simple plug and play?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #33
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Option 4; for Android devices: An Android tablet, a OBD II bluetooth connector, and the Torque App from the Market (Play).
What connector do you suggest for this combination?
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #34
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
What connector do you suggest for this combination?
I have experience with this one and it has worked flawlessly. From what I can tell they all pretty much use the same chipset. I've used it as much as 30 ft away from the OBDII connector. There may be others with more features/smaller/etc.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote