follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
Davyator

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is awesome that the GT86 took first place in this contest! I'm one of the First 86 to buy the car, and I'm feeling better and better about that decision every day.
Davyator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davyator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #30
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
I owned an early 83 celica GT for many long years
The very first Japanese car I ever sat in was an 82 Celica fastback GT. My wife and I were shopping for a new car and were setting in a new Volvo at a dealership and I suggested to my wife that we should buy the car. She said, not yet, let's wait until we're old!! She said let's check out the Toyota dealership across the street. We left there that day with our first Japanese car; Celica fastback GT. We've owned many cars since then but we have yet to buy a Volvo. I guess we'll wait till we're really old.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #31
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmarvin View Post
Yes, Car makers have been ripping Aussies off for years. Hoping this car stuns the local market into pricing our cars like the rest of the world, and one reason i am happy to support Toyota / Subaru with my first new car purchase.

The local Holden (GM) Commodore was exported to the US as a Pontiac G8, it sold for less $$ in the US, and was better specified than the local version. Very frustrating.
Yeah I remember that. I remember puzzling over it and thinking how unfair it was for you Ozzies You probably know that Pontiac is no more; maybe that's a bit of a consolation.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
Ziptied
Information Guru

Drives: 95 Supra Turbo, 85 Corolla GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Achilles heel of the Cayman has always been its lack of an LSD, with an aftermarket unit fitted they are faster around the track and way more fun than a 911, which is why Porsche intentionally crippled it.
Ziptied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Here in SA for interest sake the 86 is 298k (low), 329k (high) and 346k (auto) ZAR
The ST1 is 309k, and the ST3 363k.
So the 86 is better priced.
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
The Achilles heel of the Cayman has always been its lack of an LSD, with an aftermarket unit fitted they are faster around the track and way more fun than a 911, which is why Porsche intentionally crippled it.
Last I heard, the Cayman R version came with an LSD. I think it was the engine which was stopping the Cayman from surpassing its big brother.
-------------------
I've driven a Cayman R briefly at a Porsche Road Show event (autocross course), and it was a magnificent drive. I can't say the 86 is a better car, but it definitely is a better value for what you get.

If price ($70k+ with taxes) and versatility weren't an issue with the Cayman R, I'd happily own one... Yet the the 86 makes that much more logical sense to me, especially since it would be more affordable to maintain when I'm tracking the car 13-15 (two-day) DE events a year.

I'm completely happy with my FR-S and the simplicity / lack of options which present the purpose more clearly within this car... I'd say that it's a set of tires away from really challenging a Cayman R on a twisty road course (except when it comes to approaching the straights) with equally skilled drivers.

Anyway... I appreciate the OP sharing this exciting review.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 10-26-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Clarification
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Great article, and once again confirms everything I love about the 86.

I have to say though I am in deep lust over that Vanquish! It is absolutely stunning in Yellow.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #36
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Great article, and once again confirms everything I love about the 86.

I have to say though I am in deep lust over that Vanquish! It is absolutely stunning in Yellow.
True dat. I see the occasional Aston Martin locally (various models) and they always look stunning in real life, and most of them sound really great too

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #37
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
Last I heard, the Cayman R version came with an LSD. I think it was the engine which was stopping the Cayman from surpassing its big brother.
-------------------
I've driven a Cayman R briefly at a Porsche Road Show event (autocross course), and it was a magnificent drive. I can't say the 86 is a better car, but it definitely is a better value for what you get.

If price ($70k+ with taxes) and versatility weren't an issue with the Cayman R, I'd happily own one... Yet the the 86 makes that much more logical sense to me, especially since it would be more affordable to maintain when I'm tracking the car 13-15 (two-day) DE events a year.

I'm completely happy with my FR-S and the simplicity / lack of options which present the purpose more clearly within this car... I'd say that it's a set of tires away from really challenging a Cayman R on a twisty road course (except when it comes to approaching the straights) with equally skilled drivers.

Anyway... I appreciate the OP sharing this exciting review.
The Cayman R is phenomenal. It makes me happy that Toyota/Subaru chose Porsche as their benchmark. Even if it only came out 1/2 as good it was bound to be great.

Porsche more than any other "exotic" manufacturer seems to make cars that are meant to be driven, hard and frequently. If space weren't a concern you could likely easily daily a Carrera S. I doubt you could say the same of a Lamborghini or Ferrari. It's cool to have that "exotic" factor, but Porsche wins in the, "Drive it all week then tear up the track" category when compared to most other cars with the same level of performance.

I think the BMW M cars and some of the AMG Mercs are the only ones that come close and while they're incredible cars they don't have the same swagger as a Porsche.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
True dat. I see the occasional Aston Martin locally (various models) and they always look stunning in real life, and most of them sound really great too
I'm beginning to think that my inner millionaire/Clarkson really wants a Vanquish or DB9. Maybe I can hit that sweet spot eventually where they have depreciated enough I can afford one, but right before they become collectible and the price starts rising....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I have never heard of a Cayman S understeering too much.
Unlike others here, when I cross shopped the Cayman and the FRS/BRZ the Cayman won me over.

I find that the Cayman is incredibly neutral almost to a fault. If you are used the feel of oversteer from most Front Engine RWD cars the cayman can feel understeery.
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #40
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDZK View Post
Unlike others here, when I cross shopped the Cayman and the FRS/BRZ the Cayman won me over.

I find that the Cayman is incredibly neutral almost to a fault. If you are used the feel of oversteer from most Front Engine RWD cars the cayman can feel understeery.

Of all the cars on the road the Cayman is the one I covet the most but I just won't allow myself to spend that kind of money for a fun car. Especially when the FR-S does such an outstanding job.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-26-2012), einzlr (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #41
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDZK View Post
If you are used the feel of oversteer from most Front Engine RWD cars the cayman can feel understeery.
Curious what you mean about FR cars oversteering. Are you talking steady-state? In my experience, the majority of FR cars understeer at the limit (my guess is for safety reasons).
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
The Cayman R is phenomenal. It makes me happy that Toyota/Subaru chose Porsche as their benchmark. Even if it only came out 1/2 as good it was bound to be great.

Porsche more than any other "exotic" manufacturer seems to make cars that are meant to be driven, hard and frequently. If space weren't a concern you could likely easily daily a Carrera S. I doubt you could say the same of a Lamborghini or Ferrari. It's cool to have that "exotic" factor, but Porsche wins in the, "Drive it all week then tear up the track" category when compared to most other cars with the same level of performance.

I think the BMW M cars and some of the AMG Mercs are the only ones that come close and while they're incredible cars they don't have the same swagger as a Porsche.

Nathan
... And all those exotics and even Porsche will not match the honesty and simplicity that comes from a car like the 86... Intimidating to go upscale, in more ways than only financially.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote