follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have had a beard of some form basically since I could grow one (end of high school). First just a goatee, then a circle beard, then a full beard. My beard isn't particularly long or big, I would just call it "normal length" I guess?

Part of the reason I keep a beard is that my hair grows very quickly and I have found that once an area of my body starts growing hair, its futile to try to keep it clean shaven for more than a day at a time. I'm not an enormously hairy guy, surface area-wise, but the body hair I do have grows back very quickly if shaven and each individual hair is very thick. So not only do oils, creams, and basically any other anti-itch methods I've tried not work for me, I've found that if I shave often enough to stave off the itch of the regrow, the thickness of my hairs means that I am extremely prone to ingrown hairs. So, rather than fight nature and try to find a solution to those problems, I just keep a beard and use an unguarded trimmer on my neck. That seems to keep the neckbeard in check visually, but leaves enough of the hair above the skin that they don't get ingrown.

All of that notwithstanding, I honestly just don't particularly enjoy shaving, nor do I like how I look without a beard. So even if I could be comfortably clean shaven I can almost guarantee I would have a beard anyway.

I do use beard oil semi-regularly though. Seems to help my beard keep its shape, but I could probably use a good conditioner to achieve the same effect. I love how the brand I have smells, if nothing else.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
I have had a beard of some form basically since I could grow one (end of high school). First just a goatee, then a circle beard, then a full beard. My beard isn't particularly long or big, I would just call it "normal length" I guess?

Part of the reason I keep a beard is that my hair grows very quickly and I have found that once an area of my body starts growing hair, its futile to try to keep it clean shaven for more than a day at a time. I'm not an enormously hairy guy, surface area-wise, but the body hair I do have grows back very quickly if shaven and each individual hair is very thick. So not only do oils, creams, and basically any other anti-itch methods I've tried not work for me, I've found that if I shave often enough to stave off the itch of the regrow, the thickness of my hairs means that I am extremely prone to ingrown hairs. So, rather than fight nature and try to find a solution to those problems, I just keep a beard and use an unguarded trimmer on my neck. That seems to keep the neckbeard in check visually, but leaves enough of the hair above the skin that they don't get ingrown.

All of that notwithstanding, I honestly just don't particularly enjoy shaving, nor do I like how I look without a beard. So even if I could be comfortably clean shaven I can almost guarantee I would have a beard anyway.

I do use beard oil semi-regularly though. Seems to help my beard keep its shape, but I could probably use a good conditioner to achieve the same effect. I love how the brand I have smells, if nothing else.
What brand, if you don't mind me asking? I can say I hear many many good things about Scotch Porter's beard conditioner. A company called Chesapeake Beard Company makes a really good conditioner as well. These would be top two I would recommend. For oils and balms, my favorites are probably Beard Octane, Royal Beardsmen, and Fable Beard Company.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
What brand, if you don't mind me asking? I can say I hear many many good things about Scotch Porter's beard conditioner. A company called Chesapeake Beard Company makes a really good conditioner as well. These would be top two I would recommend. For oils and balms, my favorites are probably Beard Octane, Royal Beardsmen, and Fable Beard Company.
https://www.amazon.com/Marianna-Stac...gateway&sr=8-5

Pretty sure this is the one I have. I'm not a beard care expert or even an enthusiast really so I make no claims about how it performs compared to other products, but what I can tell you is that 1. it does seem to keep my beard from feeling too dry and coarse, and 2. it smells REALLY good. Its hard to describe the smell exactly, but its kind of a sweet vanilla/cinnamon, almost like snickerdoodles baking, but at the same time kind of woody/natural smelling? It's definitely a "masculine" sort of smell, if there is such a thing, but not at all like the kind of "masculine" smells people associate with men's body wash/deodorant/cologne. Like I said before, its a sweeter smell... Ehh, at the end of the day, all I can really say is even though I don't really know what the smell is, I like it lol.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Marianna-Stac...gateway&sr=8-5

Pretty sure this is the one I have. I'm not a beard care expert or even an enthusiast really so I make no claims about how it performs compared to other products, but what I can tell you is that 1. it does seem to keep my beard from feeling too dry and coarse, and 2. it smells REALLY good. Its hard to describe the smell exactly, but its kind of a sweet vanilla/cinnamon, almost like snickerdoodles baking, but at the same time kind of woody/natural smelling? It's definitely a "masculine" sort of smell, if there is such a thing, but not at all like the kind of "masculine" smells people associate with men's body wash/deodorant/cologne. Like I said before, its a sweeter smell... Ehh, at the end of the day, all I can really say is even though I don't really know what the smell is, I like it lol.
I like a good cologne scent, but I'm not a huge fan of woodsy scents as I've found that cedar is just too sharp for my nose. If it's hidden within something softer then I can deal with cedar, but not if it's upfront. Personally, I love sweeter scents. The oil and balm I have in today is called Parrot and it's from Chesapeake. Scented with lime and mango, it smells like fruit loops.

One of my favorite oils I own smells like a tropical drink. It's lime and coconut and some others. It makes me giggle because it smells so good, but I totally should be drinking on a beach when I smell like that. And the beard product rabbit hole is very deep. Tread carefully. I have two shelves full of products.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I want to grow a beard, but it isn't worth my wife withholding sex. She says it's too ticklish. I say this, grow your beards for me and all those who can't!
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #20
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Honest Amish Beard Balm is great: https://amzn.to/2JQUrlP
Put this stuff on after you shower, and enjoy.
Healthier beard. Wife approved.

TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Noooo... You gotta get through the itchy period and let it grow. It helps if you use bead oil. The oil keeps it soft and helps prevent the itch.
unfortunately it doesn't work. my fuzz just literally stays fuzz for 5-6 months, and i just end up looking like a down-on-his-luck poker player. blonde hair isn't very conducive to a beard.

the side benefit is that every time i shave, customers question if i'm legally old enough to be working by myself. i'm 32.
Nevermore (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #22
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
unfortunately it doesn't work. my fuzz just literally stays fuzz for 5-6 months, and i just end up looking like a down-on-his-luck poker player. blonde hair isn't very conducive to a beard.

the side benefit is that every time i shave, customers question if i'm legally old enough to be working by myself. i'm 32.
Ah, well that's unfortunate. Mine is patchy, and though my hair is dark brown, there are still blonde hairs mixed in that don't really help with the definition. Sometimes it's just about rocking what you have, but if it won't grow I guess there's not much you can do. I take biotin, drink a gallon of water a day, and eat jello as a snack (collagen) to keep mine healthy and strong.