follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT Tuning to 8,500 RPM

After some oil related troubles (or some other unfortunate, but unknown issue), my engine is being rebuilt at Moto-East. In addition to a basic rebuilt, the engine is getting upgraded with new valve springs and a Reimax oil pump which will allow the engine to safely rev up to 8,200 RPM or higher.

With that, I am curious if there is any tuning required to let the engine do this safely beyond just setting the fuel cutoff thresholds to higher values. Do I need to tune various parameters that control timing and fueling, or are the tables already in the basic tune good enough? The car will be run on e85 and 93 octane if it makes a difference.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Look at dyno sheets. Power drops off quite a bit after 7k. No real reason to rev that high unless you have cams that might power up there or need that extra couple mph to avoid shifting in a turn etc.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 AM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
you might want to talk to @celek @Tim Radley and @Element Tuning

the volumetric efficiency seems to fall away after 7000 on NA motors, so your likely going to need head work cams valves ect to produce more power past 7000 rpm as oposed to just reving past 7000
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
celek (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You need to change the intake manifold to make it rev higher. Cams will help a little but increasing peak power rpm point requires a shorter intake runner length.
Tuning of course. Stock knock settings are conservative.
What valve springs are you using and what are the seat and nose pressures on them?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
I had a whole large post written up that accidently got deleted when I was almost finished typing it because I refreshed the page. It included a part about knowing power dies off hard NA. That's not my concern at all for doing this. I'm simply curious as to what is required to further increase the rev limit safely beyond what the basic OFT tunes do already
Old 09-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I had a whole large post written up that accidently got deleted when I was almost finished typing it because I refreshed the page. It included a part about knowing power dies off hard NA. That's not my concern at all for doing this. I'm simply curious as to what is required to further increase the rev limit safely beyond what the basic OFT tunes do already
As far as the tune, nothing more than define the tables for it really. So essentially scale the table axes to cover your desired rev range (and a little over) and tune for the values for timing and fuel. You can't safely just use whatever's in there, when you exceed the table values it doesn't interpolate the next value or anything, it just uses that cell.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned the oil pump, I don't believe any real testing data exists on it out so there's no guarantees it'll solve oiling issues at higher RPMs.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post
As far as the tune, nothing more than define the tables for it really. So essentially scale the table axes to cover your desired rev range (and a little over) and tune for the values for timing and fuel. You can't safely just use whatever's in there, when you exceed the table values it doesn't interpolate the next value or anything, it just uses that cell.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned the oil pump, I don't believe any real testing data exists on it out so there's no guarantees it'll solve oiling issues at higher RPMs.
Stock pump fine to 8000rpm on 10W/40 oil. I posted the data on the other thread. Anything above that i don't know as I didn't want to push the stock connecting rods beyond that rpm.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post

Beyond what Tim has said, someone showed that the new Reimax pump is good for an extra 5L of oil flow.

That's what I figured it would be as far as tuning. This will be something I slowly build on over time then. I wan't overhead in the tune and then just drive below that for obvious power reasons.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
you might want to talk to @celek @Tim Radley and @Element Tuning

the volumetric efficiency seems to fall away after 7000 on NA motors, so your likely going to need head work cams valves ect to produce more power past 7000 rpm as oposed to just reving past 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
You need to change the intake manifold to make it rev higher. Cams will help a little but increasing peak power rpm point requires a shorter intake runner length.
Tuning of course. Stock knock settings are conservative.
What valve springs are you using and what are the seat and nose pressures on them?
Agree with both statements above.
I think our TQ dip is partially because the head outflows the stock manifold, completely emptying the plenum until it starts to catch back up.

The heads if you think about it, the port design is simular if not the same as the FB25... 2.5ltr Turbo, or the FA20DIT WRX.
They flow enough power to make 750+ HP with minimal or no modification.

That being said on a NA 2.0ltr they outflow the stock manifold. But even with attempts to make an afermarket manifold out there no one is increasing the plenum size enough and the same result occurs.

The head does not need ported its factory flow is fine. The actual bottleneck is the intake itself. @Tim Radley told me he actually gained some power positioning putty in the intake ports to choke it down and gain more velocity. Making it more efficient to the manifold on top.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Agree with both statements above.
I think our TQ dip is partially because the head outflows the stock manifold, completely emptying the plenum until it starts to catch back up.

The heads if you think about it, the port design is simular if not the same as the FB25... 2.5ltr Turbo, or the FA20DIT WRX.
They flow enough power to make 750+ HP with minimal or no modification.

That being said on a NA 2.0ltr they outflow the stock manifold. But even with attempts to make an afermarket manifold out there no one is increasing the plenum size enough and the same result occurs.

The head does not need ported its factory flow is fine. The actual bottleneck is the intake itself. @Tim Radley told me he actually gained some power positioning putty in the intake ports to choke it down and gain more velocity. Making it more efficient to the manifold on top.
Interesting - I'm genuinely curious to this theory, if the intake is a big limiting factor during the torque dip, how is it possible that improving exhaust flow with a header has such a dramatic impact?
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Interesting - I'm genuinely curious to this theory, if the intake is a big limiting factor during the torque dip, how is it possible that improving exhaust flow with a header has such a dramatic impact?
Its also part of the scavenging of the engine.
The dip is still present after a header "partially" fixes the dip
And most pictured dyno graphs are 3500-4000 RPM and up. The dip is shifted below that.

Last edited by celek; 09-28-2015 at 11:44 AM.
celek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Hopefully @NotEric6 can get us an NA manifold one of these days......................
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Its also part of the scavenging of the engine.
The dip is still present after a header "partially" fixes the dip
And most pictured dyno graphs are 3500-4000 RPM and up. The dip is shifted below that.
Right, better header design increases flow and can be tuned so that the exhaust pulses improve scavenging on the exhaust side, but if the intake is a restriction in the system, wouldn't we still see that dip?

In general the reason you buy headers isn't for massive gains in the upper RPM range (although there are gains), it's to flatten out the torque dip. My intuition would tell me that the intake isn't part of the torque dip, but I know that the many factors affecting VE over a given RPM range are often not intuitive I was just looking for a more technical explanation.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Right, better header design increases flow and can be tuned so that the exhaust pulses improve scavenging on the exhaust side, but if the intake is a restriction in the system, wouldn't we still see that dip?

In general the reason you buy headers isn't for massive gains in the upper RPM range (although there are gains), it's to flatten out the torque dip. My intuition would tell me that the intake isn't part of the torque dip, but I know that the many factors affecting VE over a given RPM range are often not intuitive I was just looking for a more technical explanation.
You mean these?
Besides the fact they are out of the power band they do not mean much unless you are cruising along double clutching granny shifting.
But they are still present
Attached Images