follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
steelertown

Drives: 2006 scion tC RS 2.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new member: shopping

Hey guys, new to these forums, I currently own a 2006 scion tC rs 2.0 which I have had for going on 7 years. I have just recently graduated college and want to treat myself to an upgrade I plan to keep for equally as long as my first car, possibly even longer. One of the cars that keeps appearing on the car list I am making is the BRZ.

The car I buy will be my daily driver, and I can't help but look ahead at possible issues with this being my only car and seeing winter as a possible obstacle. I have a few questions for current owners about the car and am wondering from my current list I have been looking at, would you take the BRZ knowing what ever you know now being an owner?

1. How is getting around in the snow? (I live in PA where winters range from very mild a couple snow falls to back handing you across the face and tea bagging you for 4 months)

2. Seat comfort: This is important to me, when I sat in the BRZ they felt fine, but im more curious on the extended trips in the range of 1 hour+

3. Maintenance: I know its fairly new and most services on the car have not even been done yet, but is it assumed regular maintenance on this car is going to be more towards the low end of what I would expect from the tC or more towards the higher end what I would expect to pay with say bmw fees.

Appreciate any insight to clear up some of the areas that have me hung up. (mainly the winter driving)

My list of possible cars that I have made and still considering:
1. 2013 BRZ
2. 2010-2011 Infinity g37
3. 2013 Mustang v6 premium package
5. 2010-2011 lexus is250
6. bmw 328i ( most likely being crossed off)
7. 2009 350z - yet to research this in depth yet

I have 2 important requirements with what ever I end up with, one being that the car not be a high maintenance cost nightmare and the other being that if it starts snowing I can at least make it home alive lol.
steelertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
While I prefer the BRZ, you may want to consider an FR-S. The fact that you have a Scion already may get you a better trade in value, and more importantly, that you are a recent graduate means you get $1000 (I think) off right away. That combined with the lower list price of the FR-S could mean huge savings.

However, if that's not a big deal for you, go for the BRZ!

I can't comment on the Snow living in Florida. But there are tons here who have them in snowy areas.

The seats are great. I'm coming from a BMW 7 series, and they are only slightly less comfortable, but much more supportive for spirited driving. The heated seats in the BRZ limited can help with your back on long runs too.

Maintenance will be very reasonable, I think. Probably not much more than the tC. Synthetic oil does mean a bit more each change. Tires are cheap.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch

Last edited by Freude am Fahren; 05-07-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freude am Fahren For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@steelertown, maintenance costs are not expensive (provided there are no surprises down the road) for the twins and the seats are incredible.

This is my first rwd vehicle and I can tell you that with snow tires this car is amazing in the snow.

I live in the northeast so we're brainwashed up here to think rwd is a nightmare in the snow. It is quite the opposite with the right tires. I used blizzaks this past winter.

I notice you have luxury cars on your list. After the initial new feeling wears off on the twins you may really come to notice the low-quality of the interior, sound system, wind noise, lack of power, and all these other things that remind you why the twins are inexpensive compared to other sports cars out there. Also, there are certainly trade-offs when getting a sports car so some of these gripes go with the territory.

My BRZ is a ton of fun. Some days I miss the nice interior quality of my previous Audis. Most days I'm loving every minute getting behind the wheel. Even when going to the grocery store.

Be prepared to spend lots of money on mods

Last edited by ngabdala; 05-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelertown View Post
Hey guys, new to these forums, I currently own a 2006 scion tC rs 2.0 which I have had for going on 7 years. I have just recently graduated college and want to treat myself to an upgrade I plan to keep for equally as long as my first car, possibly even longer. One of the cars that keeps appearing on the car list I am making is the BRZ.

The car I buy will be my daily driver, and I can't help but look ahead at possible issues with this being my only car and seeing winter as a possible obstacle. I have a few questions for current owners about the car and am wondering from my current list I have been looking at, would you take the BRZ knowing what ever you know now being an owner?

1. How is getting around in the snow? (I live in PA where winters range from very mild a couple snow falls to back handing you across the face and tea bagging you for 4 months)

2. Seat comfort: This is important to me, when I sat in the BRZ they felt fine, but im more curious on the extended trips in the range of 1 hour+

3. Maintenance: I know its fairly new and most services on the car have not even been done yet, but is it assumed regular maintenance on this car is going to be more towards the low end of what I would expect from the tC or more towards the higher end what I would expect to pay with say bmw fees.

Appreciate any insight to clear up some of the areas that have me hung up. (mainly the winter driving)

My list of possible cars that I have made and still considering:
1. 2013 BRZ
2. 2010-2011 Infinity g37
3. 2013 Mustang v6 premium package
5. 2010-2011 lexus is250
6. bmw 328i ( most likely being crossed off)
7. 2009 350z - yet to research this in depth yet

I have 2 important requirements with what ever I end up with, one being that the car not be a high maintenance cost nightmare and the other being that if it starts snowing I can at least make it home alive lol.
you are in serious do-do (frs 2013) with the gettiing home alive in the snow part. get dedicated snows,and be careful. talkin' a "very" light ass car here!..just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Get something AWD.

WRX.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have not driven mine in the snow yet however I do know of a couple people who have and they all say the same thing, its fine with a good set of snows. My BRZ is my daily driver so I will be running snows this coming winter.

As far as the seats go. I commute just about an hour 1 way to work and I find the seats very comfortable. The first week or so I wasn't so sure as the seating position was very different from my old car but I have no issues.

The BRZ is a blast to drive and I love every minute of it. My motorcycle might be getting a rest this summer haha.

Hope that helps.

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
1. Driving in snow is fine with a good set of snow tires

2. I drive from spokane washington to portland oregon routinely. It's about 6.5 hrs and I have no complaints about the seats.

3. As far as maintenance costs, might be too soon to tell.

Via my Note 2
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
kayoh

Drives: 2014 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
While I prefer the BRZ, you may want to consider an FR-S. The fact that you have a Scion already may get you a better trade in value, and more importantly, that you are a recent graduate means you get $1000 (I think) off right away. That combined with the lower list price of the FR-S could mean huge savings.

However, if that's not a big deal for you, go for the BRZ!

I can't comment on the Snow living in Florida. But there are tons here who have them in snowy areas.

The seats are great. I'm coming from a BMW 7 series, and they are only slightly less comfortable, but much more supportive for spirited driving. The heated seats in the BRZ limited can help with your back on long runs too.

Maintenance will be very reasonable, I think. Probably not much more than the tC. Synthetic oil does mean a bit more each change. Tires are cheap.
It's only $500 Now
kayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
steelertown

Drives: 2006 scion tC RS 2.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, pretty much what I wanted to hear about everything. I planned to get a good set of winter tires regardless of the vehicle I ended up with so its good to hear its fairly manageable, and if it gets too bad its a great excuse to stay home
steelertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Keep the tC. Get snow tires for that car. Save money. Become rich.

Buy FR-S in 5 years.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
A5D5TRYR

Drives: FR-S 6MT Ultramarine (BeeDrill)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The BRZ isn't going to be any worse than any other car you have listed there and might even be better. I would recommend getting some bags of sand or salt and throwing them in the trunk because my biggest problem was getting traction to go. If you're really concerned with getting around in the winter anything with AWD will be leaps above and you will be able to teabag every other car on the road for those 4 months. I had a WRX and you could pretty much take off from a stoplight the same way in any weather. It was awesome.

The seats are great. Very supportive and after 2 or 3 hour drives they are probably the most comfortable seats I've ever ridden in. Bit better than my WRX seats were and WAY better than my girlfriend's Matrix.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I can't comment on long-term maintenance (though everyone expects it to cost very little), but the seats are incredibly comfortable. I've driven for up to six hours at a time in them and they basically feel just as good at the end of a long drive as they do at the beginning, which is to say excellent and very supportive.

I haven't driven my car in snow (just got it this spring), but I can tell you this: on summer tyres, any car is going to drive horribly in the snow. AWD cars may have an easier time getting started, but their stopping distances will be just as shitty as any other car. Get a set of Blizzaks for your car and I suspect you'll be just fine in the snow, provided it's not a complete blizzard that ends in you running out of ground clearance. Snow tyres make a huge difference, and because our wheels are small they won't be too expensive. They're absolutely worth the money. Plus, it will give you an excuse to get some lighter wheels and use your stockers for winter :P

As far as your car options are concerned, my only advice is to get out there and test drive as many of them as you can. Nothing beats seat time for comparisons. It sounds like you're basically in the same boat as me though (new grad wanting a fun car that won't break the bank)-- for what it's worth, I'm really, really enjoying my car. If you can afford the BRZ limited, go for it: the improved interior and modern headlights are worth the price of admission even if the satnav is pretty clunky. The fun:fuel ratio on this car is also extremely high-- I have been absolutely flogging mine around mountain roads at 7-9k feet (meaning WOT a lot of the time) and my historical avg MPG which started at 21 after a few hundred miles keeps going up (I guess as the ECU does its learning thing). I just finished break-in the other week, and it's currently at 25mpg, which is pretty remarkable given how I drive the car. Driven in a similar manner, most of the other fun cars I've driven get 14-18mpg.

Anyway, go forth and test drive things! Good luck with your decision. You can't go badly wrong with a BRZ I don't think.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
Keep the tC. Get snow tires for that car. Save money. Become rich.

Buy FR-S in 5 years.
This except buy a BRZ or FRS. I'm sure your TC is paid for and you will probably not get what it is worth for a trade in. My plan is to get a beater Civic or something FWD for the winter if it becomes too much of a problem. I grew up driving light a$$ RWD cars (Ford Pinto) in the snow and it is not that bad. donuts are insanely easy too.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
since you made a list for what cars you're interested in. why don't you visit all dealers for test drive each of them? then cross what you don't like and keep what you like. then think about your budget and upcoming future life budget as well. also don't forget about insurance. if you never experienced RWD, and drive like FWD, there is a possibility that you will wreck it if you do spirit driving at corners or during winter time. while you're saving money, you can get some old used RWD platform vehicle to learn is another solution for you. anyway GL with your future car and welcome to forum!!
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote