follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #113
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Or moving further south to Salem for more bang for the buck
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #114
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I'm thinking about selling because I have 3 cars. The FRS has been fun but it also has sat for over a year of the ownership. I've owned it since June of 2012 and only put 20k miles on it. Seems like it's time to sell it before it depreciates more then it has. At this point id rather part out the car and sell it. Prob go stage 2 on our WRX and get more offroad mods for the XV we just got. The FRS was fun but in the end it's a childs wet dream of a car. That and it pulls way to much attention from the cops in my area. Been given 3 warnings on hardly going fast around corners. Prob have more fun taking my XV offroad camping then babying my FRS. And smashing in the WRX that is way quicker in a straight line. I built my FRS for corners and it's a thrill to smash around them. But it is a love hate relationship. Though we have not sold it yet. We will put it up for sale here soon and see if anyone purchase it. If not we will keep it as a summer car. I don't see the FRS as a year round car. I've been a subaru nut for to long. Id rather drive my WRX in the rain and snow. Rather use my XV for DD and bad weather. It's more of a summer play car to me. Which I feel it needs to be. Doesn't seem suitable for a DD in my neck of the woods.

After owning it for 2+ years I give it a 6.5/10. It still was funner then my STi when it was fully modified to my preferable taste. But then again the STi was a better all around car when the FRS lacks winter capabilities of my taste.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #115
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
I'm thinking about selling because I have 3 cars. The FRS has been fun but it also has sat for over a year of the ownership. I've owned it since June of 2012 and only put 20k miles on it. Seems like it's time to sell it before it depreciates more then it has. At this point id rather part out the car and sell it. Prob go stage 2 on our WRX and get more offroad mods for the XV we just got. The FRS was fun but in the end it's a childs wet dream of a car. That and it pulls way to much attention from the cops in my area. Been given 3 warnings on hardly going fast around corners. Prob have more fun taking my XV offroad camping then babying my FRS. And smashing in the WRX that is way quicker in a straight line. I built my FRS for corners and it's a thrill to smash around them. But it is a love hate relationship. Though we have not sold it yet. We will put it up for sale here soon and see if anyone purchase it. If not we will keep it as a summer car. I don't see the FRS as a year round car. I've been a subaru nut for to long. Id rather drive my WRX in the rain and snow. Rather use my XV for DD and bad weather. It's more of a summer play car to me. Which I feel it needs to be. Doesn't seem suitable for a DD in my neck of the woods.

After owning it for 2+ years I give it a 6.5/10. It still was funner then my STi when it was fully modified to my preferable taste. But then again the STi was a better all around car when the FRS lacks winter capabilities of my taste.
You've been thinking about selling it for a like a year.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chen For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 AM   #116
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
You've been thinking about selling it for a like a year.
Time has not been in my hands! Though, the car only has 24,000 miles! She is back to stock now. Fully stripped and you will see it on CL next month for $19,000-20,000
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #117
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
I bought a TRD strut tower bar a few months back, but I hadn't gotten around to installing it, until today when I changed my oil. I must say it's quite refreshing as the car feels better. The steering has gotten a smidge heavier, but has increased feel. I took a daily route today and the car was definitely much more planted through a corner I roll through on my daily commute (Burnside going west turning right onto SE 242nd). I think the redundancy of driving my car daily with the same mods for so long has allowed me to notice the change in driving feel by adding a strut bar.

Slowly modifying a car (because of family and other expenses) is not as gratifying, but I think every little change along the way is much more rewarding.

#fallinginlovealloveragain
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #118
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
I bought a TRD strut tower bar a few months back, but I hadn't gotten around to installing it, until today when I changed my oil. I must say it's quite refreshing as the car feels better. The steering has gotten a smidge heavier, but has increased feel. I took a daily route today and the car was definitely much more planted through a corner I roll through on my daily commute (Burnside going west turning right onto SE 242nd). I think the redundancy of driving my car daily with the same mods for so long has allowed me to notice the change in driving feel by adding a strut bar.

Slowly modifying a car (because of family and other expenses) is not as gratifying, but I think every little change along the way is much more rewarding.

#fallinginlovealloveragain
i think this is the key right here to having a car long term. too often i see people who go from stock to fully built in a year or two ... and then what. they've bought/installed every possible modification short of tearing the engine apart and going for a massive build. People tend to get bored because they aren't looking for parts anymore or planning what to install and they start looking for a new car/project to fill that void.

I for one have this issue, and am working towards not succumbing to it.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #119
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
i think this is the key right here to having a car long term. too often i see people who go from stock to fully built in a year or two ... and then what. they've bought/installed every possible modification short of tearing the engine apart and going for a massive build. People tend to get bored because they aren't looking for parts anymore or planning what to install and they start looking for a new car/project to fill that void.

I agree, this was my philosophy of modding. change one thing at a time and enjoy the change. But soon, it was worth more "bang for the buck, saving time" if I did the whole suspension mod while the car was on the lift. Why not do the camber plate/rear LCA/Coils/arms when its all right there and needs only one alignment vs multiple alignments with each individual parts? That's what got me.

Same with tuning. If I get one part, tune, one part, tune, very inefficient. So I ended up getting a turbo kit, rather than nickle'n and diming here and there for 2 ~ 3 whp gains.

I think since I have the resources now to mod quickly, that made things difficult to "hold off". And having a group to compete with each other with mods to be in the "top modder" of the group.

I sold my car for other reasons, not because I was "bored with it and move on to another project", but not enough space.

Here are some shitty pics of my new ride, getting some stuff done this week and next week. Bone stock other than a complete debadge so far..

2007 B7 RS4 Avus Silver

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZPDX For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #120
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post

Thisis something I am battling with.

Since I am having the car up on the lift to do a header install, going with FP, OP, positive shift kit, shifter bushing, gear oil change, shifter springs, all at once. Followed by a tune at VIP performance.

Got the windows tinted on tuesday at Highline...a set of wheels and tires for the track is next on the list.

Gonna keep mine NA though for a while. Need to dump money into track days to actually work on driving skills first.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #121
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
My car is my daily driver, so I'm always thinking about how it rides. After lowering on eibach springs, the handling did improve but at the cost of having the ride be a bit more bouncy. Now with this strut tower bar, I can feel the rigidity and added stability through corners, but now entering a driveway with one wheel first definitely shows how i'm giving up a softer suspension for a more rigid performance oriented one. And from that I think I'm already at a crossroads, where I question myself if I want to do any bracing and bushing modifications, as this will directly affect how it rides on a daily basis. For the future, I may just entertain some streetable coilovers like the RSR Black-i and definitely some rear LCAs to adjust camber for the new wheel setup I will have soon.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote