follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #5265
ReDestructDead

Drives: White 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright folks I have a question. Typically when I go WOT, I observe a burning smell/fumes. On an occasion it will smell a bit like burning oil, but typically it just smells like rich exhaust fumes. On idle and driving around town at normal rpm I detect no unusual odors. What am I smelling? A leak? The clutch? A sway bar bushing? Harness? I'm at a loss. I've inspected everything I can on the exhaust, oil system, engine, and suspension and I cannot find the culprit.

I have a 2018 BRZ with a C30 and a JR dual rad oil cooler. Catch cans on both lines (Mishimoto on PCV, RacerX on front) with a UPR check valve between the intake manifold and the PCV can. Catless UEL header from JDL, catted+resonated front pipe from JDL, stock mid pipe and over pipe, and Nameless single exit muffler delete. Cam plate has been replaced with a RacerX unit and I've inspected it multiple times for oil residue and found none. The bushing near the overpipe looks intact. Are any of these parts known culprits?

If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate some insight. Peak torque on a dynojet was 202 lbf-ft, so I don't imagine I'm stressing the stock clutch beyond its capacity. I've considered that it could just be the smell from the 2nd high flow catalyst system acting on the rich fuel mixture of the exhaust at WOT, but if that's the case I want to at least get some reinforcement from other people before stopping my investigation.
ReDestructDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReDestructDead For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (01-02-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #5266
pogofx

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Quick question about a sound coming from the SC. I have a newly installed C30 on my '18 BRZ. I didn't notice this sound on my first couple of drives but it may have been there, so that's why I ask those who has it installed. On light driving shifting out of 1st and 2nd at around 3-4k rpm, I hear a low growl or rumble as the rpm decays before engaging the next gear. It's pretty much as the rpm winds down. Don't really hear it at higher speed and gears because of other noise. It sounds like its maybe noise coming back out of the intake since it quits as soon as I get back on the throttle. Just curious if this was a normal noise from the unit. Hoses connections all tight and car runs smoothly. Haven't driven anything past half throttle as I'm still e-tuning.
pogofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #5267
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDestructDead View Post
Alright folks I have a question. Typically when I go WOT, I observe a burning smell/fumes. On an occasion it will smell a bit like burning oil, but typically it just smells like rich exhaust fumes. On idle and driving around town at normal rpm I detect no unusual odors. What am I smelling? A leak? The clutch? A sway bar bushing? Harness? I'm at a loss. I've inspected everything I can on the exhaust, oil system, engine, and suspension and I cannot find the culprit.
I had that smell under WOT initially which was the traction fluid smell. But I don't have that anymore. I think it stopped after I clamped the EVAP solenoid hoses under intake manifold.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #5268
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
For information: I had to replace the valve springs outside recall and warranty after P0304 CEL. Since my Toyota service recommended installing aftermarket springs for JRSC modification, I got GSC 5756 springs installed. Car is working okay now. Cost was $4500 including spark plugs and GSC springs.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #5269
ReDestructDead

Drives: White 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I had that smell under WOT initially which was the traction fluid smell. But I don't have that anymore. I think it stopped after I clamped the EVAP solenoid hoses under intake manifold.
Can you elaborate on it being an odor from the traction fluid? Is it leaking/burning at high rpm? Why did the EVAP solenoid hoses play a part in the mitigation of the issue if the traction fluid is in an isolated loop?
ReDestructDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #5270
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDestructDead View Post
Can you elaborate on it being an odor from the traction fluid? Is it leaking/burning at high rpm? Why did the EVAP solenoid hoses play a part in the mitigation of the issue if the traction fluid is in an isolated loop?
if you have smelled the traction fluid, it has a very distinct smell and that was the smell I was getting after WOT. I might be wrong.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #5271
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
For information: I had to replace the valve springs outside recall and warranty after P0304 CEL. Since my Toyota service recommended installing aftermarket springs for JRSC modification, I got GSC 5756 springs installed. Car is working okay now. Cost was $4500 including spark plugs and GSC springs.
which springs did you run?

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #5272
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
which springs did you run?
2014 stock springs replaced with GSC 5756
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
ML (01-07-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #5273
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
EVAP hoses have nothing to do with the Traction fluid.

However since the cap on the Traction Fluid Reservoir is vented.... If you overfill it, it will "Self level" by "Leaking out". If it is dripping on anything hot, it will smell. The Reservoir fills as RPM's increase, so that would be the reason for smelling it at Higher RPMs and not when driving normal.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #5274
sfruski

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Traction fluid replacement

Is there a best practice for the traction fluid replacement? Do I need to disconnect the cooler to let it drain, or can I disconnect the supercharger and used compressed air to push fluid out of the system?
sfruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #5275
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfruski View Post
Is there a best practice for the traction fluid replacement? Do I need to disconnect the cooler to let it drain, or can I disconnect the supercharger and used compressed air to push fluid out of the system?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=4993
Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #5276
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I’ve searched and read hundreds of pages in this thread but I can’t find an answer. Anyone running delicious flex fuel flash and go tune with the stock pulley? What kind of power? And is this safe with the stock clutch and rods.

I’m 6 months out from the end of my warranty and have some cash set aside. I’m still trying to decide between this and the Edelbrock. I was strongly in the e-force camp but I’ve been leaning JRSC.

Thanks!
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #5277
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
I’ve searched and read hundreds of pages in this thread but I can’t find an answer. Anyone running delicious flex fuel flash and go tune with the stock pulley? What kind of power? And is this safe with the stock clutch and rods.

I’m 6 months out from the end of my warranty and have some cash set aside. I’m still trying to decide between this and the Edelbrock. I was strongly in the e-force camp but I’ve been leaning JRSC.

Thanks!
Something like high hundreds (but not quite a thousand) are running that exact setup.

Note: Zach Tucker is no longer at Delicious, but rather, at CSG.

You will need an upgraded clutch with your proposed setup, and done carefully, is relatively low risk. Remember, you are DOUBLING your stock output; nothing is risk free (even stock!).

You can expect about 350-400hp at the crank, depending on your header/exhaust.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #5278
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
has anyone seen this Rotrex technical hand book? (https://rotrex.com/wp-content/upload...l-Handbook.pdf). It has a lot of info in it, and some contradict the way JR designed their kit. Interesting stuff, in there.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote