follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 AM   #3543
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommended reading for suspension theory and setup?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 AM   #3544
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
For the non engineering text books, check out how to make your car handle (which is a little old now though), and the tune to win, race to win, etc series of books.

If they ever made a 2nd edition of Jan uh, Zudjik?'s vehicle dynamics and damping you can check that out but the one I have needs better editing and is hard to read. Maybe a translation /ESL thing. Edit: yeah I see there's a revised edition and a volume 2 out now. He's the JRZ guy.

for actual engineering books, race car vehicle dynamics is the main one. Then there's competition car suspension, fundamentals of vehicle dynamics, the shock absorber handbook, tyre vehicle dynamics...

Last edited by jamal; 03-11-2018 at 10:02 PM.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
mistople (02-26-2018), Racecomp Engineering (02-26-2018), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #3545
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hows the fitting of 17x9+35 with 245/40/17 tires in stock suspension with trd lowering springs?
And hows the performance? Will the car be slower? Lol
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #3546
bdtbdtbdt

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
I ran that setup last year. at full turn(lock), I got some minor rubbing at the sway bar.. inner metal fender. The tire was very close to the stock shock spring perch. (2-3mm). I filed the bottom of the perch 2 or 3 mm more. No other problems. Performance was fine, great autox cornering!
bdtbdtbdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 AM   #3547
zerodark

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue (WRB Pearl)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@ RCE, CSG, or any owners..

I have been trying to find an in-depth review of either the JRZ RS1 or JRZ RS2 for a while now but have not had any luck. I have seen brief posts from both RCE and CSG giving their stamp of approval!

As of now I do not have any other suspension mods (have been going back and forth on whether the STI LCAs, STI flexible strut tower brace, etc. are worth it) but I was looking at doing coil overs first.

I am not looking for the "slammed" look as I would only want to lower the car 1-1.5 inches at most (primarily because roads on Oahu are terrible). The car would not be seeing any track time (unless I can get back to the mainland) but primarily "spirited canyon runs" along parts of the Pali. With the conditions of the roads out here I would not want a harsher ride for my DD.

Not sure if these two systems are overkill for my fairly basic needs (but I have also learned the lesson of "cheaping out" from previous cars)?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #3548
TorqueMan777

Drives: 13 BRZ, 18 STI
Hey guys, I’ve got a few questions for you. I just recently got another brz, a 2013 premium model, and I’m looking to start modifying it soon. I have always wanted to go with a meaty tire setup on a brz, something in the 265/35 range on an 18x9.5 wheel. I know I’m going to need coil overs to fit a wheel/tire combo that size, but I have no idea which ones would be good for me.

The car will mostly be used for daily driving during spring-fall. I have exactly zero track experience, and my work schedule won’t let me get out to many events each season. But I want to make sure that if/when I do finally get out to some track days or autocross events, the car, and the suspension, can handle it.

So all that being said, what coilover system would be best for me? I’ve read some very good things about the RCE tarmac t2 on this forum, but I don’t know if that would be overkill for my needs.

Next, I’m also assuming I will need top hats, rear LCAs, adjustable toe arms for the rear, and maybe sway bars. I’d like to tackle the whole suspension at once. The Velox/FT86SF stuff caught my eye, but again I don’t know if that would be overkill for my setup. What would you recommend, and are there any other things you would suggest getting to complete the suspension aspect of my build? Thanks so much for your input.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #3549
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A little offtopic as this is not for a BRZ but both these suspension setups are available for our cars so I'm sure their performance is similar.

If you have to choose between Tein Street Advance vs Koni yellow + Eibach prokit (or similar mild lowering spring). For a strictly daily driver. Prices are similar, Tein is slightly cheaper.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #3550
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodark View Post
@ RCE, CSG, or any owners..

I have been trying to find an in-depth review of either the JRZ RS1 or JRZ RS2 for a while now but have not had any luck. I have seen brief posts from both RCE and CSG giving their stamp of approval!

As of now I do not have any other suspension mods (have been going back and forth on whether the STI LCAs, STI flexible strut tower brace, etc. are worth it) but I was looking at doing coil overs first.

I am not looking for the "slammed" look as I would only want to lower the car 1-1.5 inches at most (primarily because roads on Oahu are terrible). The car would not be seeing any track time (unless I can get back to the mainland) but primarily "spirited canyon runs" along parts of the Pali. With the conditions of the roads out here I would not want a harsher ride for my DD.

Not sure if these two systems are overkill for my fairly basic needs (but I have also learned the lesson of "cheaping out" from previous cars)?
We did some testing for JRZ on their BRZ kits and have a close relationship with them. They have their advantages and disadvantages (like everything else). Give us a call and talk to Myles if you want a lot of detail as he's the one who put a lot of miles (ha!) on them. Or you could PM me. My first reaction is that there would be a better choice for your needs.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #3551
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMan777 View Post
Hey guys, I’ve got a few questions for you. I just recently got another brz, a 2013 premium model, and I’m looking to start modifying it soon. I have always wanted to go with a meaty tire setup on a brz, something in the 265/35 range on an 18x9.5 wheel. I know I’m going to need coil overs to fit a wheel/tire combo that size, but I have no idea which ones would be good for me.

The car will mostly be used for daily driving during spring-fall. I have exactly zero track experience, and my work schedule won’t let me get out to many events each season. But I want to make sure that if/when I do finally get out to some track days or autocross events, the car, and the suspension, can handle it.

So all that being said, what coilover system would be best for me? I’ve read some very good things about the RCE tarmac t2 on this forum, but I don’t know if that would be overkill for my needs.

Next, I’m also assuming I will need top hats, rear LCAs, adjustable toe arms for the rear, and maybe sway bars. I’d like to tackle the whole suspension at once. The Velox/FT86SF stuff caught my eye, but again I don’t know if that would be overkill for my setup. What would you recommend, and are there any other things you would suggest getting to complete the suspension aspect of my build? Thanks so much for your input.
T2s would work well and can be adjusted to ride well on the street (if done correctly!). But they may be a fair bit of overkill for you. Our upcoming GTWORX Bilstein coilovers may fit the bill nicely for you...simple, high quality inverted monotube with a double digressive piston. No damper adjustment, but great valving that just works.

You might need camber plates to get that fitment right, and I would also recommend rear LCAs. I'm starting to recommend rear toe arms more often because I do not like the OEM piece as it's inconsistent. You do not "need" them though. Skip the swaybars to start. There's a couple bushings that I would recommend. If you're interested I can put together a package for you.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
TorqueMan777 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #3552
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
A little offtopic as this is not for a BRZ but both these suspension setups are available for our cars so I'm sure their performance is similar.

If you have to choose between Tein Street Advance vs Koni yellow + Eibach prokit (or similar mild lowering spring). For a strictly daily driver. Prices are similar, Tein is slightly cheaper.
I don't have first hand experience with the Teins unfortunately.

I would recommend the Bilstein B6 over the Konis for ride quality.

- Andrew
Old 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #3553
Foxy Grandma

Drives: 2016 CWP BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You could go either way, but I would prefer the B6.

- Andrew
Does having top hats make any difference in this choice?
Foxy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #3554
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy Grandma View Post
Does having top hats make any difference in this choice?
Yes, for fitment issues. The Raceseng camber plates seem to have some issues with the B6 and lowering springs. B8 seems to be the better choice. Other camber plates that reuse the OEM upper spring perch are probably okay with B6.

For OEM tophats, the B6 would be my choice.

- andrew
Old 03-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #3555
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
What is the difference between the 2-Way KW Clubsport and the 3-Way KW Clubsport Coilovers?

What about the difference between the 3-Way Clubsport and the Competition coilovers?

At what point would I ever need adjustable endlinks?

Thanks,

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #3556
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordless View Post
What is the difference between the 2-Way KW Clubsport and the 3-Way KW Clubsport Coilovers?

What about the difference between the 3-Way Clubsport and the Competition coilovers?

At what point would I ever need adjustable endlinks?

Thanks,
The 2 and 3 way Clubsports are very different from each other (more than just the extra compression adjustment knob).

The KW 2 way Clubsport is a somewhat conventional twintube with a piston and a foot valve. Really good for what it is, and the 2 way adjustability (rebound and low speed compression) make the damper really flexible so they can both ride and perform well for a variety of different set-ups.

The 3 way KW Clubsport is a bit different...kind of a hybrid twintube and monotube. Instead of the foot valve, there's a piggy back canister with a divider piston and high + low speed compression adjustment. The compression adjusters are really good. More fluid capacity, more gas pressure, more consistent adjustment and performance. And more work to set up correctly with the extra adjustment knob for high speed compression, but more potential to dial them in just right.

The 2 way KW Competition coilovers are available in both twintube and monotube. The 3 ways Competition are all monotube. Either way, these are built to order and more expensive. Fairly serious dampers in comparison to the Clubsports.

All of the above do not come with a warranty. We offer our RCE Tarmac 2 Clubsports and Tarmac 3 Clubsports (2 and 3 ways) with our own custom valving and spring rates AND a warranty. Built by KW to our specs.

For more information on the KW and RCE 3 ways, this thread has some extra detail:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79026

- andrew