follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #29
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Especially if they were crop dusters, spraying methyl parathion and stuff like that -

humfrz
Not exactly crop dusters 😎...

MC-130 and U-28
Attached Images

kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #30
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Just have your FE ride along.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, my - Special Ops -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (11-17-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #32
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Well I went for a couple of spirited drives yesterday with hard turns left and right. To my dismay, I couldn't note any changes to the sound, nor did I notice any other indications. I guess my next step will be to put the car on jack stands and see if I can locate any issues by turning the wheels.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When you are hearing the sound and you brake, do you notice a change in pitch? When you break you are loading the front and unloading the rear. Doing that and listening for sound change will aid in narrowing down the general location of the noise.

Additionally, you may have a failing carrier bearing on your driveshaft. You can try and determine if this is the noise by doing a hard acceleration, followed by engine breaking. Again, listen for changes in pitch. If you have a loud exhaust this will likely make it impossible to hear bearing noise changes.

If you are still having difficulty locating the source, put the rear up on jack stands, and chock the front wheels. Turn off traction control completely and get the rear wheels up to whatever speed you normally hear it the most.

This is dangerous and should only be done if you are confident in your ability to do it safely.

If you hear the noise with the rear up in the air, you have eliminated the front end as a possibility.

The next step would be to have a helper go underneath with a stethoscope and listen to any rotating component. This is also dangerous if proper safety measures are not taken.

Use jack stands. Use wheel chocks. Use safety goggles. Use gloves. Be safe be safe be safe.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #34
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMaxon View Post
When you are hearing the sound and you brake, do you notice a change in pitch? When you break you are loading the front and unloading the rear. Doing that and listening for sound change will aid in narrowing down the general location of the noise.

Additionally, you may have a failing carrier bearing on your driveshaft. You can try and determine if this is the noise by doing a hard acceleration, followed by engine breaking. Again, listen for changes in pitch. If you have a loud exhaust this will likely make it impossible to hear bearing noise changes.

If you are still having difficulty locating the source, put the rear up on jack stands, and chock the front wheels. Turn off traction control completely and get the rear wheels up to whatever speed you normally hear it the most.

This is dangerous and should only be done if you are confident in your ability to do it safely.

If you hear the noise with the rear up in the air, you have eliminated the front end as a possibility.

The next step would be to have a helper go underneath with a stethoscope and listen to any rotating component. This is also dangerous if proper safety measures are not taken.

Use jack stands. Use wheel chocks. Use safety goggles. Use gloves. Be safe be safe be safe.

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. I have done some of what you suggested and these are my findings so far:

The sounds changes the same way whether I use the brakes, engine brake or put the car in neutral and let the car decelerate on it’s own.

I have not tried a hard acceleration followed by engine braking, but will. My exhaust isn’t very loud actually. I have the CSG Spec Touring exhaust. The main noise that makes hearing the bearing noise is the turbo spool on acceleration. I love the sound, but at WOT it pretty much masks the noise.

If all this fails, as well as spinning the front wheels by hand, then I’m open to putting the rear wheels on jacks. I’m confident I could do this safely.

I’m not too keen on your last recommendation, based mainly on my comfort level with it.

I do appreciate the recommendations and will report back with my findings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #35
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

So I tried doing some hard accelerations/engine braking yesterday and this morning. The sound pitch remains linear with the car's speed. No matter what method I try accelerating/decelerating, the pitch isn't affected other than by the speed of the car. My thought is, this is a wheel bearing slowly going bad, but admittedly I'm not an ASE certified mechanic. I won't have time to put it on jacks until after Thanksgiving (vacation next week). In the meantime please provide any additional advice/feedback that could help me solve this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #36
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Both front wheel bearings I had go made noise only when loaded. So if the right was bad I would only hear it turning left. It wasn’t constant until it really started to go. I couldn’t load it enough by hand with the car on jack stands to tell it was bad.
Ultramaroon (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #37
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Both front wheel bearings I had go made noise only when loaded. So if the right was bad I would only hear it turning left. It wasn’t constant until it really started to go. I couldn’t load it enough by hand with the car on jack stands to tell it was bad.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #38
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Old 11-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #39
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #40
humfrz

Snap out of it!

humfrz
Old 11-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #41
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
So I tried doing some hard accelerations/engine braking yesterday and this morning. The sound pitch remains linear with the car's speed. No matter what method I try accelerating/decelerating, the pitch isn't affected other than by the speed of the car. My thought is, this is a wheel bearing slowly going bad, but admittedly I'm not an ASE certified mechanic. I won't have time to put it on jacks until after Thanksgiving (vacation next week). In the meantime please provide any additional advice/feedback that could help me solve this.
DANG, kmbkk, take your car into a shop and have them fix it.

Enjoy the holidays -

humfrz
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #42
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I've been down this path many times. When I say the wheel should spin dead silently I really mean it. It can even come down to minimizing the ambient noise. This brings me back to the challenge of identifying a bad driven wheel bearing. There's just too much other stuff going on so, even if running on jack stands doesn't immediately reveal a fault, it can't be ruled out. I've squatted down listening and switched sides over and over before finally deciding to just give up and replace.

That doesn't mean it's automatically a futile exercise but it sure can be tough.