follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

View Poll Results: I swapped the engine in my 86 and...
I've kept it and I'm happy with it (post which engine you swapped to or link build) 4 33.33%
I've since sold it (post up why you sold it!) 1 8.33%
I've kept it but...I've had more problems than anything post-swap 3 25.00%
I've kept it but...looking back at cost/time, I wouldn't have done it 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Missed a poll question:
How many swap projects are sitting in the garage untouched after several years because it wasn't as simple or cheap as people seem to think it is?
Money not so much the issue,,, my back is. Blew it out two moths ago haven't touched the car since. As a sidebar.... I'm at month 26 on the swap.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap

Last edited by gtpvette; 09-30-2019 at 12:08 PM.
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-30-2019), soundman98 (09-30-2019), Tcoat (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #16
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Missed a poll question:
How many swap projects are sitting in the garage untouched after several years because it wasn't as simple or cheap as people seem to think it is?
Though this is a good point, I'm more interested in those who have successfully completed a swap - so newp, didn't miss that question (yes, I'm gathering that you're using a good bit of truth in your humor)

I'm trying to look at the different perspectives various people who have completed a swap have once their project is completed.
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do find it interesting that even though this poll has had a small sample size of 10...30% wish they hadn't done it and 20% have had more problems than anything after the swap, so basically 50% have had 'negative' experiences, while comparatively speaking, 40% have kept it and are happy (positive experiences).
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I think you meant compromised, but I gotcha, and that is awesome you don't have lag. Obviously my statements wouldn't apply to everybody or even to the majority of swaps. I was just giving some context of why some builds and swaps get abandoned, get sold off shortly after completion or become a fail all together. There are other common reasons like the project going too far over budget, or wiring gremlins that plague the car, or balancing all the different aftermarket components, so they work as a cohesive system. It appears as if the OP is trying to determine if a swap is worth it, and/or if he can learn what to do or what not to do to make his swap successful. I was just hoping to add my experiences, as potential complications to consider.

Even a crap aftermarket tune will likely have more power and can smooth out the power/torque curves compared to OEM, so the metrics you mentioned don't qualify as a quality tune. OEMs are not trying to maximize power. They want to be conservative, so that the car lasts 200k miles, or so the car has less issues inside the warranty period. These engineers are designing a tune that will meet strict vehicle emission standards at all vehicle loads under a variety of conditions.

What most tuners do is play with timing and fuel tables under WOT in a single gear at highway speeds, but what about sub maximal throttle, or what about during transition speeds or at all gears, or what about during 0 degrees Celsius versus 40 degrees, what about cruising around the parking lot? These engineers spend hundreds of hours on a dyno under a variety of conditions to dial the tune--for their emission, fuel-economy goals, yes--but it is the smoothness, reliability and consistency that makes it a quality tune.

Most people spend sub $500 on a remote or dyno tune. Maybe a few break $1000 like you did, but few drop much more to dial it in like OEMs. For many owners, the tune is good enough and the satisfaction of having more power is worth the compromise, yet there are also many that find the lack of refinement to be annoying. I've seen many completed projects get sold off because the car isn't "streetable" by their standards, and it is too race car, as if they were expecting an experience akin to owning a manufactured, high-horsepower car. For instance, many LS swapped Miatas, RX7s, etc may go fast like their Corvette counterparts, but few feel and drive like a Camaro or Corvette from a daily, streetability perspective, even if they share the same engine. That is all I am trying to clarify.
I’d say if you stick with a factory ecu on your swap instead of a stand alone a lot less tuning time is needed to get good drivability. If you go Motec forget about it, you will need 50-100 hours of tuning to get the car running perfect. Very happy I did though, it was money well spent for me to get the car running just right.

Was really hoping to hear from more swap owners in this thread. Guess there aren’t as many of us as you’d think I wonder of the 800 plus people in the LS swap fb group how many have actually completed the swap? Can’t be many...

As I said earlier if you have plans to go full track or drift car in the future the LS starts to make all the sense in the world. As a daily driver all the torque is intoxicating and makes the car seem much more luxury to me despite the firm ride. Being an 80’s kid which probably makes me old for this forum I associate luxury cars exclusively with V8’s and the awesome low end torque they provide. I can’t get behind the wheel of a turbo 4 banger and think it drives like a luxury car no matter how nice the European interior is or how many giant LCD screens there are.

But personally despite how fun and exhilarating it is to drive on the street as a daily the gas tank is just too small to make it practical (for me anyway). That is really my only gripe with street driving the car at this point and I guess could be solved with a fuel cell but then you’re giving up your trunk. Every time I leave my house I’m driving a minimum of 50 miles round trip, so unfortunately a range of 130-140 miles on Ethanol and 160-180 on pump gas (if you really baby the throttle) just isn’t enough for me. To be fair I never got more than 180-200 miles a tank with the 19 gallon tank in the ZL1, maybe I need a Prius.

On the flip side I am very happy to report that my car is twice as fuel efficient on track as my ZL1 Camaro was, even with running E85 vs 91 fuel in the ZL1. Overall cost to run is 4-5X cheaper per lap when factoring in consumables. Hopefully my build will pay for itself over the next 10 years compared to running the Camaro.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 10-05-2019 at 04:40 PM.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #19
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
OEM tune is majorly comprised, AKA crap.

NA, after the base tune was loaded my car had 14 revisions, dyno tuning cost was about $1k AUD (power was so much better)

First plot is OEM tune to Pulse tune

I don't own a BRZ yet. Can you elaborate on the OEM tune? Is it restrictive? If so, where? My WRX OEM tune had this awful rev hang from 1st to 2nd. Are there any other problem areas with the OEM tune on this car?
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #20
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I don't own a BRZ yet. Can you elaborate on the OEM tune? Is it restrictive? If so, where? My WRX OEM tune had this awful rev hang from 1st to 2nd. Are there any other problem areas with the OEM tune on this car?
It was typical to most Subaru OEM tunes, either too rich or to lean.

The OEM tune is designed to work with low octane fuel, when you fill with the highest octane available you can gain up to 20% if you know what to do.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Swaps are difficult, expensive and most often, disappointing after the initial thrill ride.

What no first time swapper is ever prepared for is the development time and expense that comes AFTER the car is on the road. Anybody can bolt mechanical pieces together and make a car move; making it move in a safe, reliable and pleasant manner is a whole 'nother game.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-08-2019), Tcoat (10-08-2019)