follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #29
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Is it functionally the same as the track mode on the 2017+? Or did we just change slightly the way it VDC sport gets turned on but nothing else?
As tested at the point daily commuted, it is different from VSC Sport. Another big gain by this mod is the hill climb assist. Really comfortable. But people live at the flat road may not feel like me.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-03-2019), Yobiwan (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
As tested at the point daily commuted, it is different from VSC Sport. Another big gain by this mod is the hill climb assist. Really comfortable. But people live at the flat road may not feel like me.
My "Hill Start Assist" is my right hand and my e-brake lever lol. But yes, that is a very nice feature as well.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-05-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #31
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
If you have the stock clutch and flywheel, I wouldn't be bragging about your e-brake.
Bragging? I do this regardless the car or type of clutch pressure and its pretty much a manual "hill assist." Nothing to do with what kind of clutch or flywheel.

Thanks for posting this conversion though. I just wanted to make sure it works before I go shopping for an ABS pump assy.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #32
solidONE

Quote:
I still think its all in the VSC control module. It seems to be a Bosch 9.0 ESP.
Did any of you guys do the reset on Techstream?

Just picked up a module, model # ending in CA060 off a '19 Toyota 86.

Will record wheel speed, yaw, steering angle and whatever pertinent channels I can fit into the 14 channel limit of my OFT pre and post install to see how and if the VSC Sport behaves differently going up and down the mountain.

ps.. the hand brake is separate to your clutch/gas/shifter. while it takes a bit of coordination and practice to do smoothly with the timing right, clutch pressure does not have any bearing on the handbrake mechanism. Hill start assist is nice, and all you have to worry about is engaging the clutch smoothly.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #33
solidONE

Quote:
Yelp, I don't know what a handbrake is but I do know how to build a motor, turbo kit, tune, set up diffs and make my own transmisiion swap.
Ps: I also can weld anything that's weldable, machine and most important drive.

Maybe you should look at more of my post. Geez

Here is just a few of my projects
88 Sr20 samurai 6 speed cd009,toyota axles e-lockets front back, dual transfer cases, front frame choped and raised 4 link back 3 link front. Lowered with 40 inch tires

06 gsxr 1000 turbo 192 rwhp 3lbs boost homebuilt turbo

81 toyota corolla 2jz gt45 turbo , turbo 400 trans 138mph 1/8 mile tubbed 3/4 tube frame all homebuilt except paint.
All I'm saying is the hand brake does not interfere with you operating the clutch. When the hand brake is engaged, the car does not move, so its not gonna matter how close the car is behind you, how steep the hill is, or how hard it is to engage your clutch. If you dont agree with that I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise.

Not trying to start an argument. You're reading into things that dont exist. Why the hell you want to argue about that? Geez.. Hill assist is not the main reason for me to want to do this, but its a cool feature. Sorry if my use of the hand brake offends you. lol

Did you reset anything using techstream after installing the updated control module? Thats all I'm asking,

Old 12-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #34
solidONE

Quote:
I'm not trying to start anything but the black than sticks up in the middle of the car with numbers on it is the gear selector you use 1 when your going slow and then as you get faster you switch to a higher number.

LOL
Oh yeah man, that stick. 5 is my favorite. Based on my astro chart #5 is my lucky number.

So I just got back from doing a couple of logs with and without VSC activated. Looking at the logs, I honestly cannot say what the difference is based on the information recorded. I think a better test would be just one single turn taken with the same approach, speed, brake, steering angle and throttle input and keep increasing speed, brake pressure, throttle in multiple runs until the computer intervenes and then taking note of that..

Not gonna do all that. So butt dyno it is. About to install the new module and I will do the same run tomorrow at roughly the same pace and see if anything feels different or if the TC gets triggered any less using the new module.

Logs of medium paced downhill run then right back up the same road with and without VSC activated. The 2 links I zoomed into the downhill portion.

TC: https://datazap.me/u/solidone/tc-tes...2&zoom=83-3985

VSC: https://datazap.me/u/solidone/tc-tes...&zoom=129-3940

Old 12-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #35
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Did any of you guys do the reset on Techstream?
You should clear DTCs.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #36
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
You should clear DTCs.
No DTCs popped up after install, no ABS light, nothing. Hill assist works and it takes 2.5 seconds to activate VDC Sport or now 'Track mode'.

to try to determine if the Sport mode has changed, I'll just try to slide it around a bit more and see how much it lets me do that before the computer starts to pulse the brakes. Too bad there is not a channel I can record that tells you when the TC is being applied.

Last edited by solidONE; 12-17-2019 at 12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (04-16-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #37
solidONE

Track Mode Works!!!

Track mode most definitely works. Or rather doesn't work. Not once under 'normal' canyon driving did the computer intervene.

Thanks to road debris I was not able to go the same pace as I did yesterday, but I did make it a point to be more abrupt with my inputs, stabbing at the throttle, trail braking deeper into the turns and jerking the steering around. I was only able to get the computer to do something with new VDC Spot or Track Mode activated once. I attempted to do a stupid j-turn on the dirt at the top of the road.

https://datazap.me/u/solidone/tc-tes...2&zoom=42-3894

I'm very happy. Thanks again!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
churchx (12-17-2019), solidsnake11 (12-17-2019), sroby (12-24-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:37 AM   #38
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Was a DIY ever posted of this? So we can have all the correct info in one post?
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #39
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
2017 abs module on 16 down

Quote:
Yoshoobaroo what date is on your abs module? In makinen's picture you can see what looks to be a date 17-5-22 and 17-7-25.

17-3-22 on the abs pump

So a bit older, still 2017 though. Still doesn't make sense. Why would my car be the only one so far that doesn't show the new VSC activation logic. Its obviously a 2017+ VSC unit since the repin made it work correctly.

My car is a 09/2012 build WFIW

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 06-15-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #40
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
17-3-22 and 17-01-27

So a bit older, still 2017 though. Still doesn't make sense. Why would my car be the only one so far that doesn't show the new VSC activation logic. Its obviously a 2017+ VSC unit since the repin made it work correctly.

My car is a 09/2012 build WFIW
I'm leaning towards a one-off issue or build variance between your run and later runs of 2013s.

Since it's an eBay buy, there's a strong chance you ended up getting a damaged part. Hell, it might be a cheap "fake" made up of the case of a 2017 w/ 2013-2016 guts rewired to the 2017+ pins. Wouldn't be the first time someone does that sort of BS to make a quick buck.

I hate to say it, but it's probably time to grab a new one or find someone with a 2017+ who'd be willing to let you pop in a potentially defective part. Only way to tell is to do some comparisons now.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #41
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
I'm leaning towards a one-off issue or build variance between your run and later runs of 2013s.

Since it's an eBay buy, there's a strong chance you ended up getting a damaged part. Hell, it might be a cheap "fake" made up of the case of a 2017 w/ 2013-2016 guts rewired to the 2017+ pins. Wouldn't be the first time someone does that sort of BS to make a quick buck.

I hate to say it, but it's probably time to grab a new one or find someone with a 2017+ who'd be willing to let you pop in a potentially defective part. Only way to tell is to do some comparisons now.
I don't think it's defective because it works perfectly, ABS works great, traction and stability control work well too. It's puzzling.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #42
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I don't think it's defective because it works perfectly, ABS works great, traction and stability control work well too. It's puzzling.
You say it works perfectly, but not having the new VSC logic is the definition of not quite right in my mind. Not having experience working directly with calibrations definitely hinders me here, but I wouldn't be surprised of the old Sport logic is still tucked away, with the new Track logic added side by side.

I think it'd help to get some info on everyone's ECU calibrations here. If you're running a tune based on an older calibration while everyone else has a newer base calibration, that's a pretty strong sign. OTOH if everyone is able to get the new logic working with a 13-16 MY set of tables, the point is moot.

If you could do anything to get more data, it'd be logging the allowable yaw angle before and during intervention along with the timing parameters during intervention for the old module and the new one similar to what @solidONE did. If you can get more yaw with the new one before intervention, and Track/Sport interventions are more lenient then it's probably working, but the activation isn't the same for some reason. If they're the same, then it's pretty clear you're not truly benefitting from the new logic. Doing the same for normal TC enabled situations would tell us if you've got the new stability calibrations at all.

From my experience, Track Mode in a 17+ will let you do some pretty stupid things and intervene too late to save you in a turn if you're intent on doing said stupid things. Normal mode will pretty much cut you off from hurting things before it will let you spin out from an oversteer condition, to the point of getting in the way of having fun. It allows some slip, but available grip is the most limiting factor. My winter tires (205/55/R16 X-Ice 3) have much more frequent interventions than my summers (225/45R17 G-Max RS), but if I play around at a lower speed, the amount of slip it allows and the intervention itself feel practically the same.

Last edited by anticubus; 04-16-2020 at 02:44 PM.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote