follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #71
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Heads are the same, valves are just longer above keeper. You probably know that. Just for others.
Wow! that should test your motor.
I didn't actually. But now that you mention it it is just the valve and the rocker that is different right? I believe I saw that mentioned. I don't recall.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #72
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
valves, rockers and pivot oil hole size but I think the 13s have half that have small hole pivots.
They may have changed the base circle on the cams.
Yeah the 14's and up have the same pivot hole part number for both heads, the 13's have different for each bank.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #73
Ricks919

Drives: 2014 BRZ brand new!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm playing with stuff. Got my spare timing cover ported, being that I don't have a ton of porting inside engine aside from couple corners and wanted to keep things simple.

Getting the factory gears made in a strong chromoly steel in the factory shape, guys are making me a backing plate spacer and I can mill down the 2mm myself later. I'm comparing all the Subaru F engine oil pumps and curious what this little chamber hole thingy is on the PRV and what happen if I plug it? Timing cover side does not have the little chamber wall partition on any of the 3(4 since fb20/25 are same)...

FB- 12mm powder netal gear, normal tooth profile, big hole in extra chamber on back plate.

BRZ FA- 12mm powder metal gear, notches tooth profile on outter gear for sight increase in flow (must be decent if one of GMA car and one is 7400rpm of 200bhp FURY!!!!)

WRX FA/DIT- 14mm gear with standard waveform gear profile. no chamber thingy at all.

I can't find flow numbers, nor hard data on bypass opening pressure (dit calls for 5w30, would that affect prv spring or would prv just close later after cold start up than BRZ or FB? ) And I'm really curious what the point of the chamber thing is... Also what the spring stiffness is in all 3, if anybody has any idea...

OOOOOH ALSO the company making my steel 14mm/BRZ shape OPG and back plate spacer off the template I supplied them, [[since Reimax won't hook a brotha up ]] have asked me if I would like to put in a production run of 80-100 kits? I'm thinking hell naw especially not because it'll be like 5x more expensive (minimum) then getting just the one, and I'm not a business won't sell 80-100 oil pumps. ....

So does anybody have any interest? WRX guys can use em in their DIT motors too without spacer without a single mod other then pulling and resealing timing cover.

Anyway sorry for the rant see pics attached. See also element tunings post about the oil on gears and such, they even speculated a +2mm BRZ gear might be best option but decided to go v8 I guess lolol. If that this thread? I don't think so... I'm in two good ones on here, plz forgive.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ricks919 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricks919 For This Useful Post:
eherschend (12-29-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 03:01 AM   #74
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looking at that chamber, I'm wondering if it's for damping? It might be there to reduce oscillations in the poppet of the prv. Why it wouldn't be used diy motor, though, I have no idea.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:23 AM   #75
Dom2497

Drives: Full HKS GT86
Whats people thoughts on this

https://facebook.com/GPPerformanceEu...pe=3&source=49

A company in europe is advertising a mod which increases the oil pressure in the main oil gallery which feeds the crank bearings by 1 BAR. From the pictures it looks like they are achieving this by tapping into the oil return from the oil cooler, running it though it's own oil filter (oil passes through the filter after the cooler normally) then in to the main gallery feed at the top of the block. So by passing some of the oil gallerys.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Dom2497 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dom2497 For This Useful Post:
TurboBRZ_UAE (07-17-2023)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #76
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom2497 View Post

A company in europe is advertising a mod which increases the oil pressure in the main oil gallery which feeds the crank bearings by 1 BAR. From the pictures it looks like they are achieving this by tapping into the oil return from the oil cooler, running it though it's own oil filter (oil passes through the filter after the cooler normally) then in to the main gallery feed at the top of the block. So by passing some of the oil gallerys.

In addition to increasing oil pressure they state that the system uses a sensor to limit RPM if oil pressure drops (embedded into tune), a preventive safety measure seems like a good idea.

I'm no expert, but any mod that increases oil pressure is a good thing for our cars, right? Would there be a drop in oil pressure, volume, anything negative to this? I'm thinking more oil will be needed.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #77
Dom2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
In addition to increasing oil pressure they state that the system uses a sensor to limit RPM if oil pressure drops (embedded into tune), a preventive safety measure seems like a good idea.

I'm no expert, but any mod that increases oil pressure is a good thing for our cars, right? Would there be a drop in oil pressure, volume, anything negative to this? I'm thinking more oil will be needed.
Agree about the tune, it's a good enhancement. Once you have a oil pressure sensor custom mapped into ecutek you're away.

By splitting the oil like that in theory less flow would be getting to the heads. I am not sure how much of an issue that is. All of the issues I hear about with the FA20 are rod bearing related. I would be interested to know what effects it has on oil pressure in the other parts of the system, is could be measured from where the oil switch for the idiot light.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dom2497 For This Useful Post:
sato (05-16-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #78
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom2497 View Post

Interesting, do you have anything other than that facebook post on it?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #79
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,125 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
"Without the bypass kit, the oil pressure is about 1 bar less in the main journal gallery than in the front cover. We mesure the oil pressure in the main oil gallery, the sensor is connected to the ECU, we did an calibration for it. if the Oil pressure drops below an value x at an specific rpm, than we flash the MIL, if it drops 0.5 bar below that Limit, we limit the RPM to prevent bearing failure."

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
TurboBRZ_UAE (07-17-2023)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #80
Dom2497

Quote:
I used a vtec kit for honda and then ran a 8an line under the ac to the main oil galley. The oil runs through the filter first.
Also dont forget to drill the #3 main bearing above the oil gallery. This allows oil to get to the crank. If this is not done all the oil has to go through two 4mm by 3.5mm grooves to get to the crank.

I hate to beat a dead horse but without built engines that last the aftermarket will decline for these cars. Probably the reason there is very little aftermarket cams.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the valuable info on the oiling thread you added.

What was the specific vtec kit you added?

Thanks

Old 05-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #81
Dom2497

Quote:
Nice one.

Is there any considerations with feeling oil into the top of the block (other than the point about drilling number 3)which in turn gives the main bearings 2 oil feeds, like it back feeding?

Last edited by Dom2497; 05-18-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #82
Dom2497

Quote:
You could drill the other case half and run a line to it. but its easier to modify the bearing.
Do you think it's worth feeding the main gallery with a stock oiling system. Or do you need to take the engine apart to modify the engine to make it suitable.

Where oil is being fed into the top of the engine, its effectively making two feeds feed the crank - does the collision of these two feeds affect flow rate or cause any issues. I can get my head around what happens when you add another feed into an existing oil system.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #83
Dom2497

Quote:

This is the plate I machined to stop the flexing. Factory is 6mm with 3mm galleys cast. This one is 10mm with 5mm galleys 7075 t6.
Is there a measurements or cad file toy can share for this?

Old 12-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #84
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
This thread has been censored
Why has original post been censored?