follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Homelink Mirror - loose, fell off and fixed.

Of all the cars I have had, this one really takes the cake. Barely 2k miles and I'm driving around with a really loose mirror. So I tried to fix it and it came off completely. So I went and got a set of new 8/32 x 1/2 flat head machine screws. Researching around, I now realize the screws are self-tapping, the bracket holes are stripped and that a new setup is needed.

Still reeling from ribbing I'm getting for driving around without a rear-view mirror, I called the dealers around me to get the mirror attachment part # H501SSA040. None of the them has it in stock and so I was prepared to get bigger screws to see if I can salvage my setup and order a set online.

Then I was able to get through the last Subaru dealer on my list, a bit far but close enough to my office. They have a bunch of them and when I went to pick it up, I was prepared to get two (for the next loose encounter). But the parts guy tells me that it is a newer, revised part that he has H501SSA041.

Well, I'm banking on this newer part to stay the course. On a brief look, I could not see the difference between the old and the new but I'm hoping the alloy on the new is harder. I applied a bit of Gorilla glue on the thread and very, very, very gingerly screwed it mm by mm tight. Initial drive says it is not vibrating nor is it loose but only time will tell.

Anybody having this problem should ask for the new part no instead. In my eyes, at least Subaru redeemed itself with a new revised part. I would be mighty ticked off if it was the same crappy part and if it keeps coming off.

Last edited by bdbx18; 07-30-2013 at 12:45 PM.
bdbx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
xDBOYx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wow. Makes me wonder. I have the mirror as well and mine is a little loose
xDBOYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
RurumariGhost

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
My auto dim mirror came off. The screws are not self tapping, they are tri-lobe thread rolling screws. Minor difference, but the upshot is the end is tapered, which makes it easy for them to vibrate out. had my mirror fall off once, rescrewed. Got loose a second time, I replaced with stainless steel screws ( because, why not? I work for a hardware store) and added a bit of loctite. Your gorilla glue solution should work just as well, but I don't know how you managed to strip the threads on the plate.
RurumariGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurumariGhost View Post
My auto dim mirror came off. The screws are not self tapping, they are tri-lobe thread rolling screws. Minor difference, but the upshot is the end is tapered, which makes it easy for them to vibrate out. had my mirror fall off once, rescrewed. Got loose a second time, I replaced with stainless steel screws ( because, why not? I work for a hardware store) and added a bit of loctite. Your gorilla glue solution should work just as well, but I don't know how you managed to strip the threads on the plate.
The original plate is a soft metal and that's usually what gets stripped. Its about 10 bucks for a new mounting kit, or do as you suggest, get a bigger/better screw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
bdbx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurumariGhost View Post
Your gorilla glue solution should work just as well, but I don't know how you managed to strip the threads on the plate.
If you have someone else use your car (aka wife) thus causing regular adjustment of the mirror (which also happens to be a little stiff), the screw holes will get stripped and the mount will become irreversibly loose.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
xDBOYx

just because there is a possibility of my mirror falling off and possibly breaking or damaging something on the way down, i am going to order the new mirror adapter this weekend. lol
Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Rinzler

Drives: BRZ Limited
Garage
I just added a subwoofer, and mine rattles slightly, and I'm beginning to wonder what I should do about that.
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
xDBOYx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I just added a subwoofer, and mine rattles slightly, and I'm beginning to wonder what I should do about that.
i think if it hasnt falling out yet, i would take it out and add some loctite..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
RurumariGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbx18 View Post
If you have someone else use your car (aka wife) thus causing regular adjustment of the mirror (which also happens to be a little stiff), the screw holes will get stripped and the mount will become irreversibly loose.
Ah makes sense.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
RurumariGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
yeah, what dboy said. I have a sub and I think that's why mine fell out. now that its tightened down, it still shakes but significantly less so.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
just ordered the new part number. we'll see how that does.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
bdbx18

I also need to add kudos that this part is not just a couple of screws but includes the heavy mount as well all for a measly $10. I would expect a similar part from Bimmer to cost about $50 or more.