follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
MCD73

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 FRS…. Release Series 1.0??

I’ve been looking to buy a FRS, and finding a good one seems to be like looking for a unicorn. It’s either been in one or more accidents, has questionable items in the CARFAX, or it’s been heavily modified.

There is one up for sale on AutoTrader that looked promising…a 2013 FRS, but Release Series 1.0.

But my understanding is that trim level was very limited and came out mid 2014. Unless I am missing something?

Thoughts?
MCD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD73 View Post
I’ve been looking to buy a FRS, and finding a good one seems to be like looking for a unicorn. It’s either been in one or more accidents, has questionable items in the CARFAX, or it’s been heavily modified.

There is one up for sale on AutoTrader that looked promising…a 2013 FRS, but Release Series 1.0.

But my understanding is that trim level was very limited and came out mid 2014. Unless I am missing something?

Thoughts?
beware of the fake release series advertisements. Knowing which years have release series and what they look like its easy to tell if the ad is just bullshitting or not (mainly because i think they want to tell you the car is "special" in some way usually due to mods, but they can only choose "release series" to make it look like its a stock car).
I usually go straight to the pictures with these claims. Very easy to tell.
ALL of the FRS base cars were manual key ignition, 3 knob manual HVAC, cloth seats + red accents (silver accents in the 2017+ refresh).
All the release series/special editions have the DUAL HVAC interiors with the digital readouts and toggle switches and push button start, LED strip daytime running lights, rear spoiler (i think) and unique exterior colours:

-2013 10 series = Silverish/grey/bronzish (depends on angle and light) exterior with blue badge hues.
-2014 monogram = Regular FRS colours with dual HVAC interior, and LED strip DRL.
-2015 Release Series 1.0 = Yellow exterior, TRD bodykit, TRD exhaust
-2016 Release Series 2.0 = Creamish white exterior, black multispoke wheels, saddle tan/black interior

Almost the same deal after the 2017 refresh:
2017= 860 special edition. Either white or orange/red, both with mostly all black interior with orange stitching, Dual HVAC, leather/alcantara seats, rear wing spoiler, gunmetal/smoked 17" wheels(?)
2018 = GT trim was introduced so it pretty much made the 860 edition standard equipment as an upgrade trim (silver accents instead of orange), i think in 2018 there was a "black edition" which just took the GT trim and added more black accents to the exterior....not much of a special edition really. I think that thunder grey was also available as a colour, again not really a special edition colour but i think it only lasted one model year.
2019 = TRD special edition, GT trim + TRD body kit, TRD exhaust, brembo brakes, SACHS shocks/dampers, 18" wheels.
2020 = Hakone edition, GT trim in green exterior + saddle tan coloured interior accents, bronze 17" wheels.

So many times i come across a "release series" ad only to find it was NOT A release series colour, has the regular BASE interior, regular non LED Strip DRL headlights, and/or it has some aftermarket wheels on it.

Last edited by Sasquachulator; 12-12-2022 at 12:08 AM.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-12-2022), FRSapex (01-02-2023), humfrz (12-13-2022), KMA KiCKz (12-12-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
MCD73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
beware of the fake release series advertisements. Knowing which years have release series and what they look like its easy to tell if the ad is just bullshitting or not (mainly because i think they want to tell you the car is "special" in some way usually due to mods, but they can only choose "release series" to make it look like its a stock car).
I usually go straight to the pictures with these claims. Very easy to tell.
ALL of the FRS base cars were manual key ignition, 3 knob manual HVAC, cloth seats + red accents (silver accents in the 2017+ refresh).
All the release series/special editions have the DUAL HVAC interiors with the digital readouts and toggle switches and push button start, LED strip daytime running lights, rear spoiler (i think) and unique exterior colours:

-2013 10 series = Silverish/grey/bronzish (depends on angle and light) exterior with blue badge hues.
-2014 monogram = Regular FRS colours with dual HVAC interior, and LED strip DRL.
-2015 Release Series 1.0 = Yellow exterior, TRD bodykit, TRD exhaust
-2016 Release Series 2.0 = Creamish white exterior, black multispoke wheels, saddle tan/black interior

Almost the same deal after the 2017 refresh:
2017= 860 special edition. Either white or orange/red, both with mostly all black interior with orange stitching, Dual HVAC, leather/alcantara seats, rear wing spoiler, gunmetal/smoked 17" wheels(?)
2018 = GT trim was introduced so it pretty much made the 860 edition standard equipment as an upgrade trim (silver accents instead of orange), i think in 2018 there was a "black edition" which just took the GT trim and added more black accents to the exterior....not much of a special edition really. I think that thunder grey was also available as a colour, again not really a special edition colour but i think it only lasted one model year.
2019 = TRD special edition, GT trim + TRD body kit, TRD exhaust, brembo brakes, SACHS shocks/dampers, 18" wheels.
2020 = Hakone edition, GT trim in green exterior + saddle tan coloured interior accents, bronze 17" wheels.

So many times i come across a "release series" ad only to find it was NOT A release series colour, has the regular BASE interior, regular non LED Strip DRL headlights, and/or it has some aftermarket wheels on it.

Thanks for additional info. The dealer actually called and insisted up and down the description was correct. Same situation with cars I’m finding in ‘excellent condition’ only to see its a salvage title. The search continues for the unicorn! Lol
Old 12-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for additional info. The dealer actually called and insisted up and down the description was correct. Same situation with cars I’m finding in ‘excellent condition’ only to see its a salvage title. The search continues for the unicorn! Lol
Kinda curious where in EP this is. I'm local and could always take a look too to make sure it's legit an RS1. I feel I've been in the twin game long enough to figure it out

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
MCD73

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Kinda curious where in EP this is. I'm local and could always take a look too to make sure it's legit an RS1. I feel I've been in the twin game long enough to figure it out
It wasn’t in El Paso. I think it was out in Austin, TX. I wish there were some in El Paso! Every time one pops up out here, it’s a real mess!
The Following User Says Thank You to MCD73 For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
It wasn’t in El Paso. I think it was out in Austin, TX. I wish there were some in El Paso! Every time one pops up out here, it’s a real mess!
Ah. Yeah I was gonna say, finding a clean car here is... difficult. Still, if the car is worth it, driving 8 1/2 hours to it might be worth it.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Quote:

Thoughts?
Not mine but I found this :

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/7568864291.html
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #8
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
My friend is looking for a series blue brz and or hyper blue brz. PM me if anyone reading this finds one. One owner, low mileage, stock. No scams, please. Thanks
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote