follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to register new OEM TPMS sensors?

I recently bought a set of OEM wheels with OEM tires and OEM TPMS sensors in good condition. The wheel/tire/sensor combo is in good condition and can be installed on the car right away. The only hassle is that I need to let the car know that I am using a set of sensors new to the car. Is there any easy and painless solution to this? Thanks for the enlightenment.

If there is any tools I need to buy to do this, please let me know. Hopefully it is not too expensive. I used Foxwell NT502 PRO for some Honda/Acura in the past with good result. Is there a similar tool for Subaru and can do this?
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You need to get an ATEQ QuickSet or a similar tool that allows you to program the TPMS Sensor IDs directly into the car via OBD2. Unlike other cars, you cannot use a scan tool to trigger a TPMS relearn and go on your merry way, you must explicitly program the sensor IDs.

The sensor IDs are on the valve stems on a sticker or you need a TPMS activator/reader tool to get them. I use an Autel MaxiTPMS TS408

The process itself is very simple, although the software from ATEQ was obviously written by paint huffing crayon eaters.

1. Get the Sensor IDs and positions (RF, LF, RR, LR)
2. Read current sensor IDs from car into ATEQ QuickSet
3. Program new sensor IDs into secondary slot on ATEQ QuickSet over USB using a Windows PC
4. Program new sensor IDs into the car using the ATEQ QuickSet
5. Drive with new TPMS sensors to verify light shuts off.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Busybee (11-08-2020), mrg666 (11-17-2020), qqzj (09-11-2019), RedReplicant (10-07-2021), Tcoat (09-12-2019), wparsons (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
qqzj

Gosh, I need to buy two tools for about $250 just to get the TPMS sensors done. Man, this sucks. Maybe I shall just live with the light on the dash then.

I plan to keep both set of wheels. So I have to do this each time I swap wheels? I hope there is some tool that can change the sensor IDs of the new sensors to those of the old sensors. So it will be a simple swap in the future. Oh, man, I hate this silly stuff! TPMS, electric parking brake, brake pad sensor etc. Are they created to just screw us or we are screwed by dumb car owners/drivers who require government babysitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
You need to get an ATEQ QuickSet or a similar tool that allows you to program the TPMS Sensor IDs directly into the car via OBD2. Unlike other cars, you cannot use a scan tool to trigger a TPMS relearn and go on your merry way, you must explicitly program the sensor IDs.

The sensor IDs are on the valve stems on a sticker or you need a TPMS activator/reader tool to get them. I use an Autel MaxiTPMS TS408

The process itself is very simple, although the software from ATEQ was obviously written by paint huffing crayon eaters.

1. Get the Sensor IDs and positions (RF, LF, RR, LR)
2. Read current sensor IDs from car into ATEQ QuickSet
3. Program new sensor IDs into secondary slot on ATEQ QuickSet over USB using a Windows PC
4. Program new sensor IDs into the car using the ATEQ QuickSet
5. Drive with new TPMS sensors to verify light shuts off.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You may be able to borrow the tool somewhere. AutoZone or America's Tire?

I'm afraid you'll have to do that every time you swap the wheels
An alternative would be to replace the sensors with programmable aftermarket ones and program them to have the same IDs as your "main" set of wheels.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You should be able to find an ATEQ for less than $150. You only need a laptop to load the sensor IDs onto the ATEQ once. Twice a year when you change summer/winter and back you need to take an extra 30 seconds to plug in the ATEQ to the car and press one button. I've been doing this for five years on my car - the wheel swap takes sixty times longer than the reprogramming.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
Busybee (11-08-2020), Tristor (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Gosh, I need to buy two tools for about $250 just to get the TPMS sensors done. Man, this sucks. Maybe I shall just live with the light on the dash then.

I plan to keep both set of wheels. So I have to do this each time I swap wheels? I hope there is some tool that can change the sensor IDs of the new sensors to those of the old sensors. So it will be a simple swap in the future. Oh, man, I hate this silly stuff! TPMS, electric parking brake, brake pad sensor etc. Are they created to just screw us or we are screwed by dumb car owners/drivers who require government babysitting.

The ATEQ QuickSet holds two sets of sensor IDs in memory so future swaps are just plugging it and pressing a button, takes about 15 seconds. It's designed to swap between summer and winter wheels/tires (buttons show a sun and a snowflake for each set of IDs)
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
qqzj

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
You may be able to borrow the tool somewhere. AutoZone or America's Tire?

I'm afraid you'll have to do that every time you swap the wheels
An alternative would be to replace the sensors with programmable aftermarket ones and program them to have the same IDs as your "main" set of wheels.

I see. So ideally I just need to buy ATEQ tool, and beg some guys at America's Tire to scan the IDs of 8 wheels. I see. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I see. So ideally I just need to buy ATEQ tool, and beg some guys at America's Tire to scan the IDs of 8 wheels. I see. Thanks.
You shouldn't have to buy the tool at all. Pretty much any major tire chain should be willing to do it for free with their tool. If they say they're gonna charge you, call around until you find a place willing to do it for free.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
You shouldn't have to buy the tool at all. Pretty much any major tire chain should be willing to do it for free with their tool. If they say they're gonna charge you, call around until you find a place willing to do it for free.
DING - DING - DING: Winner - winner - chicken dinner!

I think the OP in in California... I know for a fact Discount Tire will reprogram them for free - That's how I got mine done.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
qqzj

Did you buy tires from them at the same time?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Did you buy tires from them at the same time?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I've literally just taken my car to a tire shop and asked them to do it, no other transaction took place. I routinely do this because I live in the awful midwest, where wheels swaps occur every fall and spring. lol
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #12
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I bought programmable sensors and cloned mine into them. No need to pair them when I swap rims.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
qqzj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I bought programmable sensors and cloned mine into them. No need to pair them when I swap rims.

That is great to hear. What exactly have you bought and what kind of tools did you use to scan the ID and then program it? This is definitely going to help in the future. It will be great if you have a link for the parts and tools and there is a Youtube video for the operation. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I went to a mechanic friend of mine, I think the sensors were Shrader EZ-Sensors (I don't know which part number, silver valve as OEM and roundish sensor, I think model 2210) and cloned with his tool. I'm EU based, so frequencies may differ.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote