follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Should i get an 85 MR2?

Last night i was browsing Craigslist for shiggles when i saw this! It's an 85 MR2 with 60 grand on the clock! I know i've been trying to save up for an FR-S but so far I'm hooked!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/3344167432.html

I just got back from looking at her after work. Sadly it got darker than i expected so i wasn't able to get a real good look but from what i saw in person with a flashlight and the pictures it looks really good. Apparently they bought it from the original owner about a year ago who apparently used it as a show car.

I came here for advice. You think it's sane of me to buy a 28 year old car when i don't really need another one right now and I've been waiting for enough money to get an FR-S? Do you think it's good for the price? It's hard to look up anything more concrete about it's value since it's way out of Edmunds or KBB's year range and these kinds of older car's values are rather more unique. I think it's a rather good price but i wanted to see what you guys thought.

And if anyone could potentially do a VIN check for me if any of you have any unused checks I'd be most grateful.

JT2AW15C7F0024034
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I don't have an idea about the price. If I were interested it seems to be that it's in the ball park. Personally I wouldn't be interested in buying it. I can't help but think of any car that old as a money pit. Especially if it meant giving up on my FR-S.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
Last night i was browsing Craigslist for shiggles when i saw this! It's an 85 MR2 with 60 grand on the clock! I know i've been trying to save up for an FR-S but so far I'm hooked!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/3344167432.html

I just got back from looking at her after work. Sadly it got darker than i expected so i wasn't able to get a real good look but from what i saw in person with a flashlight and the pictures it looks really good. Apparently they bought it from the original owner about a year ago who apparently used it as a show car.

I came here for advice. You think it's sane of me to buy a 28 year old car when i don't really need another one right now and I've been waiting for enough money to get an FR-S? Do you think it's good for the price? It's hard to look up anything more concrete about it's value since it's way out of Edmunds or KBB's year range and these kinds of older car's values are rather more unique. I think it's a rather good price but i wanted to see what you guys thought.

And if anyone could potentially do a VIN check for me if any of you have any unused checks I'd be most grateful.

JT2AW15C7F0024034
The price is right, and this is probably the best car for $2,650 on the market (as long as it has the 4A-GE or GZE motor instead of the 3A-LU motor). It's certainly one that will put a smile on your face, run for quite some time, and retain its value. Is it an FR-S? No, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a driver's car, because it is!

Regarding your questions:
1. It is a very sane buy.
2. It's the most fair price you will probably ever come across.
Wes B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes B. For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Natheria
Overlord

Garage
I'm pretty sure it's the 4A-GE. I looked in the engine bay and in what light i had it looked exactly like it (I'd be pretty ashamed if it was the single cam 1.5). I've seen enough pictures in various certain manga to know exactly what it looks like (i can say it's one of the few engines i know by sight other than the FR-S's and my Civic's). I only wish it was the GZE but i would think the N/A version might be a little more reliable (and he'd be asking much more than 2,650). Of course if the engine really does only have 60,000 miles (which it seems to look like it does by all accounts) that the body would be my main concern. It's got a little oranging down below (a little bit on the front fascia) and one rust spot by the antenna where the metal meets glass but other than that looks super stellar for it's age. I'm gonna do another full more complete inspection tomorrow with more light and later a test drive.

They told me it recently had a clutch issue and it was immediately replaced which also bodes well (meaning i won't have to worry about replacing a worn clutch). The tires aren't brand new but they still have a little tread on them (probably about as much as my civic which is fine).

Does anyone out there know of anything else specifically to look out for in the first gen MRs that might be good to know?

And i think i might be a little crazy for buying a second car when i'm trying to save my money while i'm finishing up the last few classes for my degree. Part of me says i'm nuts, but the other bit, the car nut just doesn't seem to care. I was like this about 6 months ago with a mint looking mazdaspeed miata up for sale but that was sadly way out of my price range even when i was set in that new found car fever. I love and hate craigslist.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
insane, but fun go carts! love them!
mmm, $1400 stock $1900 well worked.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Natheria
Overlord

Garage
I might try to jibe him down a hundred but from what i can read he already seems rather reluctant to sell it (i know i would if I'd just bought it a year ago and had to give it up) so i don't know how much lower he would realistically go and i do think all things considered it's within reasonable range (even if his lauded 'i could be selling this for 5 grand' bit is pushing it).

I also want to say it feels really weird to be seriously considering buying a car that is older than i am.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
paaji

Drives: BA Falcon, GT86 on order
Fantastic cars. I used to have an 86 model (pun intended).

One thing to look out for is the gearbox on the na model. Mine became difficult to change into second, and would not hold fifth hear. Not likely to be an issue on one with such low mileage though. Mine had over 300,000 k's.

Other than that, the gear stripped out on the driver's side power window - $20 fix.
paaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
I might try to jibe him down a hundred but from what i can read he already seems rather reluctant to sell it (i know i would if I'd just bought it a year ago and had to give it up) so i don't know how much lower he would realistically go and i do think all things considered it's within reasonable range (even if his lauded 'i could be selling this for 5 grand' bit is pushing it).

I also want to say it feels really weird to be seriously considering buying a car that is older than i am.
Try and bargain with the seller as much as possible, and don't be afraid to walk away if you don't feel comfortable with the price. Long story short, if the seller wants to sell, he/she will sell.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age. The powerplant in that little sucker will still beat strong.
Wes B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I saw that one today as well, its in really good condition. Be a good project car, hell you don't even need to do anything to it except clean it. Ive never driven one, hell i have yet to see one on the streets yet. I'd bounce on it as soon as possible if i was you.

Good luck!
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaji View Post
Mine became difficult to change into second, and would not hold fifth gear.
This was a common problem with these cars. Some people used to try to squeeze a large mcdonalds drink in the shift boot to keep the car in 5th

I've loved MR2's as long as I can remember so I'm gonna say yes! go for it! I had an SW20 and only limited experience with the AW11 but from my best bet, I'm willing to say the AW11 is even more fun. It's much more of a go kart.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
demby123

Drives: 86' Toyota Corolla GTSR5, 15' FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the 4A-GE. I looked in the engine bay and in what light i had it looked exactly like it (I'd be pretty ashamed if it was the single cam 1.5). I've seen enough pictures in various certain manga to know exactly what it looks like (i can say it's one of the few engines i know by sight other than the FR-S's and my Civic's). I only wish it was the GZE but i would think the N/A version might be a little more reliable (and he'd be asking much more than 2,650). Of course if the engine really does only have 60,000 miles (which it seems to look like it does by all accounts) that the body would be my main concern. It's got a little oranging down below (a little bit on the front fascia) and one rust spot by the antenna where the metal meets glass but other than that looks super stellar for it's age. I'm gonna do another full more complete inspection tomorrow with more light and later a test drive.

They told me it recently had a clutch issue and it was immediately replaced which also bodes well (meaning i won't have to worry about replacing a worn clutch). The tires aren't brand new but they still have a little tread on them (probably about as much as my civic which is fine).

Does anyone out there know of anything else specifically to look out for in the first gen MRs that might be good to know?

And i think i might be a little crazy for buying a second car when i'm trying to save my money while i'm finishing up the last few classes for my degree. Part of me says i'm nuts, but the other bit, the car nut just doesn't seem to care. I was like this about 6 months ago with a mint looking mazdaspeed miata up for sale but that was sadly way out of my price range even when i was set in that new found car fever. I love and hate craigslist.
All mr2's in america came with the 4age or the 4agze. the 1.5L 3aU was only available in japan on the earlier models.

also as another poster mentioned, watch out for 5th gear popout, as I believe the C52 transmission didn't come with the 85 or earlier models. It's a common problem and can be fixed easily if you know how to do trans work or at least pull one.
demby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
clevrname

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've got a 1991 t-Top Turbo. I love the Mister. I considered picking up a gen1 to auto cross. Those little bitches are like gocarts. All I need is a supra now to complete my Toyota sports car collection!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
Natheria
Overlord

Garage
Thanks guys! Hopefully i won't find any sour patches tomorrow. I also read the the trans on the 84-86 models had that 5th gear issue. We'll see how it is in the test drive.

Edit: one thing i didn't notice from the pictures is that the shifter boot is missing, which is something I'd have to replace, although that shouldn't be too hard to do.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Damn, this is super clean...

I want it...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote