follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Thebadvibes__

Drives: Stanced/Drift '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb PBM Solid Diff and Subframe mounts install

Hey guys new to the forum. I've been setting my car up as a drift/stance/inching towards show car. Currently sitting on BC BR extreme lows and have maxed out ride height in the rear. Being that low I've heard of people breaking axles, specifically breaking bearing casings and am going to order the subframe and diff risers this week. Any advice for dropping the subframe? Have done big jobs but never dropped a subframe before and was hoping someone here had some pointers or trouble spots on this job. Thanks guys!
Thebadvibes__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
One thing that does crop up is the risk of stripping the bolts if you are not careful when replacing them. Apparently they are easy to get cross threaded and if you wreck the threads in the body you're screwed. For example, if you check out the install video for MCA traction aids, which require removal and replacement of two of the main rear subframe bolts, they go to the trouble of wire brushing the bolt threads before carefully starting them back into the holes. They only use the power wrench after the bolts are well started by hand. I think Whiteline also has a good install video online for their bushing kit instal which requires removal and replacement of all the subframe bolts.

The subframe alignment is also a bit sloppy judging by how far off the factory delivered camber can be. Might be a two person job to get the subframe centred.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
There is some slop in the subframe but it doesn't affect camber.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
There is some slop in the subframe but it doesn't affect camber.
It can affect the difference between right and left camber, apparently, but I see your point. If all the suspension pick up points are on the subframe itself then supposing the subframe can be installed slightly out of alignment with the body it would affect the thrust angle of the rear axle but not any of the individual settings. My alignment guy suggested he needed crash bolts in the LCA to equalize the rear camber side to side.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Thebadvibes__

Yea I saw the guy that stripped his bolts but"hand tightening" them and the wire brushing does make a lot of sense. And what do I need to do to ensure that everything is a aligned tj the best of my ability. I'm doing this to save my axles I wanna make sure I don't put them in another bind ya know ?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
I wouldn't worry about it, outside off getting the bolts in. It's really a negligible amount of movement.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just did the subframe inserts a couple of weeks ago and it didn't affect the alignment. Just be real careful with the bolts as they are easy to strip. Clean all the threads and make sure everything is lined up when putting them back in.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebadvibes__ View Post
Yea I saw the guy that stripped his bolts but"hand tightening" them and the wire brushing does make a lot of sense. And what do I need to do to ensure that everything is a aligned tj the best of my ability. I'm doing this to save my axles I wanna make sure I don't put them in another bind ya know ?
Looking at the subframe diagram more carefully I see that everything bolts up to that, diff included. It is not possible to misalign anything bolted to the subframe. If you are reasonably careful bolting the subframe up to the body everything should be automatically lined up perfectly. No doubt that's why the factory builds it this way.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
Thebadvibes__

Okay awesome info so far, one last question. If I'm dropping the subframe and throwing the diff and subframe risers in is there anything I should buy and throw in while I have the thug on the floor? Any preventive maintence things or cheap upgrades to make my time more worth it?

Tags
drift, pbm, slammed, stance, subframe