follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Rexpeed
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #15
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
How much power was he making on the Vortech? Its interesting you say there was metal in the oil which caused the engine to seize. Now i'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word but that doesnt sound like something that could be caused specifically by the supercharger. As someone said earlier it can happen on NA as well. Something like that sounds like there was already an internal issue with the engine which got exacerbated with the kit on it but wasnt caused by the kit.

Not trying to call you out or anything but i just went FI as well and anytime someone has an issue with their car i want to see exactly what caused it so i can look out for signs haha.
Pretty sure she said Kraftworks. Does Kraftworks come with a tune? I see a ECUTEK but does it come with a tune? You may be guessing where I am going with the questions.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #16
Xxyion

Drives: 2016 WRP Blue Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Pretty sure she said Kraftworks. Does Kraftworks come with a tune? I see a ECUTEK but does it come with a tune? You may be guessing where I am going with the questions.
sorry Kraftwerks
2016 Limited MT WRP Blue BRZ | Edelbrock Supercharger | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Nameless Axelback 3" with 5" Muffler | WORKS resonated Midpipe | JDL Ultra Quiet Front Pipe | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | Seibon Carbon Fiber Spoiler | Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood FA | APR Front Splitter | ST Suspension Coilovers | Enkei Fujin Wheels 17 x 7.5 | Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 225/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Helios

Drives: 2014 Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
How much power was he making on the Vortech? Its interesting you say there was metal in the oil which caused the engine to seize. Now i'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word but that doesnt sound like something that could be caused specifically by the supercharger. As someone said earlier it can happen on NA as well. Something like that sounds like there was already an internal issue with the engine which got exacerbated with the kit on it but wasnt caused by the kit.

Not trying to call you out or anything but i just went FI as well and anytime someone has an issue with their car i want to see exactly what caused it so i can look out for signs haha.
Yeah, Kraftwerks. But the data doesn't support her claim. There are literally thousands upon thousands of Rotrex SC units in use with no failures. I'm not saying it isn't possible only that it is highly improbable as long as it was maintained properly. Sounds like the engine failed, but the Rotrex didn't cause it.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
Sosa
[||]--(86)--[||]

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
TL;DR
Catch cans are great preventive measures, dual cans for FI, single for NA.

A catch can prevents oil from entering the intake.

You have compressed air & fuel in the cylinder, spark ignites it, expanding gas moves the piston.

Sometimes the pressure pushes past the piston and enters the crankcase (which is full of oil). There is a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve to release pressure, which is routed by a house back into the intake. This results in oil collecting in the intake manifold, valves, etc.

A catch can is placed between the PCV valve and intake, allowing the oil to condense and collect in the can (if it's a baffled catch can).

This will help keep components free of "gunk". Keep in mind the Twins D4S (direct/port fuel injection) will help clean the valves: port injection = fuel on valves, and fuel is an excellent solvent.

*I'm no expert on the matter, just sharing the knowledge I acquired through research here and online.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
guybo
Howbow Dah?

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
In regular GDI cars this can really extend engine life (in theory anyway) by preventing oil/gunk/carbon from collecting on the backside of the intake valves. In our car, the intake valves aren't dry so it's less of a concern. But that oil and gunk does get mixed with the air/fuel mixture and can effectively reduce the fuel octane (at least during those times when there's blow by).

It's an easy mod. If done right there's no down side and can only help but does require some upkeep
Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #20
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
Long story short my boyfriends car blew up with a kraftwerks running perfect for 2 years and one day just didn't turn on.

Now I want to do any preventative things to keep this from happening to me and my edelbrock kit.

Are catch cans good at preventing this? And what about an oil cooler? Any tips to prevent my engine from exploding would be nice,
Thanks
A couple of people have now asked you what kind of power your boyfriend was running - just helpful to know what power levels these engines are blowing at - the more data the better etc.....

Unless I've missed a reply (in which case sorry), it is annoying how you will happily go to the community for help, but are unwilling to give something back.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bfranklyn86 For This Useful Post:
Helios (02-21-2017), Sosa (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A question I would of been asking is what color is the metal material they found in the motor? This will lead you to what failed and when you know what failed then you can start asking the questions as to why.

As others have stated there are plenty of people out there running various breads of superchargers. The fact of the mater is your run FI you need to do more maintenance to maintain reliability, I don't care how good your setup is. You neglect maintenance your gunna have a bad time.

Good luck with the new motor!
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Helios (02-21-2017)