follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #561
the_one_mike

Drives: 2013 BRZ World Rally Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
The Cosworth (Nameless Performance) exhaust is a great overall setup. I believe there are some better exhaust manifolds on the market now compared to the Nameless ones, such as the ACE header, but otherwise, they all perform about the same. As for the downpipe, I don't see how one is better than the other so long as the inside diameter is the same (2.5").

What I did in terms of exhaust was as follows: Nameless Performance header (bought from someone used), Tomei overpipe, Nameless Performance front pipe, catted & resonated, and the Invidia Q300 catback. The reason I didn't get the Cosworth is because with the full set up, it's far too loud for me since I daily drive my car, but I didn't want to lose the benefits of the rest of the exhaust set up. With my exhaust, I'm running a tweaked Stage 2.3 tune from Cosworth and have no issues now. I'm sure Matt@Cosworth could square you away.
I knew you'd be the first to reply, thanks dude! I almost just posted in your build thread asking about your setup rather than blasting a question about exhaust in the supercharger thread haha.

Most of what I have read has led me to a lot of the same parts you listed, except I would like to retain the Nameless/Cosworth catback. I'll be daily driving my car too but I just really love the tone... Too loud is definitely not my goal though.

The other catback I have found that I really like is Corsa performance but have also heard that when combined with a FI setup and full exhaust it sounds horrible. I'm aiming for a more "mature" sound if you will.
the_one_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #562
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_mike View Post
I knew you'd be the first to reply, thanks dude! I almost just posted in your build thread asking about your setup rather than blasting a question about exhaust in the supercharger thread haha.

Most of what I have read has led me to a lot of the same parts you listed, except I would like to retain the Nameless/Cosworth catback. I'll be daily driving my car too but I just really love the tone... Too loud is definitely not my goal though.

The other catback I have found that I really like is Corsa performance but have also heard that when combined with a FI setup and full exhaust it sounds horrible. I'm aiming for a more "mature" sound if you will.
If I only did the catback with the supercharger, I'd for sure get the Cosworth catback. But it seems it's hard to find. I can't find it on the RallySport Direct or Nameless website. @Matt@Cosworth may know if they are still offering it.

I also really like the resonated Perrin, but my Invidia was a christmas gift, so... I'm not complaining. Also, I had my setup before I got the Cosworth supercharger as I was pretty set on the Jackson Racing. But because how thorough the testing was and that I really liked the way it looked, I just had to get it.

If you are looking to do a full exhaust, but don't want it too loud, you could get a catted header of some sort and get a tune by someone else. Though some here will argue the tune supplied would be superior.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
the_one_mike (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #563
the_one_mike

Drives: 2013 BRZ World Rally Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
If I only did the catback with the supercharger, I'd for sure get the Cosworth catback. But it seems it's hard to find. I can't find it on the RallySport Direct or Nameless website. @Matt@Cosworth may know if they are still offering it.

I also really like the resonated Perrin, but my Invidia was a christmas gift, so... I'm not complaining. Also, I had my setup before I got the Cosworth supercharger as I was pretty set on the Jackson Racing. But because how thorough the testing was and that I really liked the way it looked, I just had to get it.

If you are looking to do a full exhaust, but don't want it too loud, you could get a catted header of some sort and get a tune by someone else. Though some here will argue the tune supplied would be superior.
The main piece of info I have gotten from you so far that has me excited is that Cosworth is customizing their tune to be compatible with alternative exhaust components. That's big for me because I know their base tunes have some serious R&D.

Is anybody running this setup with a smaller pulley? It would be nice to see somebody running around 300whp on 93 octane, though I know the kit is capable. Admittedly, the S/C is at least a year off for me at this point but it's never too early to plan.
the_one_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #564
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_mike View Post
The main piece of info I have gotten from you so far that has me excited is that Cosworth is customizing their tune to be compatible with alternative exhaust components. That's big for me because I know their base tunes have some serious R&D.

Is anybody running this setup with a smaller pulley? It would be nice to see somebody running around 300whp on 93 octane, though I know the kit is capable. Admittedly, the S/C is at least a year off for me at this point but it's never too early to plan.
I wouldn't say my exhaust is that much different than theirs. I have what's equivalent to the 1.3 exhaust. Now if I had a different manifold, then sure.

As for the smaller pulley, Matt had mentioned something about it, but I believe it wasn't a validated setup.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #565
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
He said you couldn't go much smaller on the pulley because the neck it rotates around is already about to hit the inside of the stock pulley.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #566
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Ah yes, I remember that. He said to boost it further, there would need to be modifications to the other pulleys such as the crank pulley.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #567
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
He said you couldn't go much smaller on the pulley because the neck it rotates around is already about to hit the inside of the stock pulley.
you can go slightly smaller ( about 10%) on the SC pulley but thats it
I've been running this pulley on our dev car with good results
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
killboy (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #568
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
you can go slightly smaller ( about 10%) on the SC pulley but thats it
I've been running this pulley on our dev car with good results
Do you guys have intentions to offer it as an official stage part which is validated?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #569
Matt@Cosworth

I doubt we'll offer up as a validated part of a kit as we've already established the stock rod limits which this part exceeds
but I'm pushing to offer it for general sale as an aftersale part for tuners, built engines etc and those willing to throw caution to the wind.....
there's headroom in our tune for this boost increase with no changes required
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #570
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Would that smaller pulley require larger injectors and fuel pump? Though since I daily, it wouldn't be wise for me to use it... yet.

Also this may seem silly, but I saw you guys offer a fuel rail for the Mitsubishi Evo. It would be kinda cool to get more Cosworth goodies like that in our cars!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 09-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #571
Matt@Cosworth

No there's enough capacity in the fuel system to get up to about 320Bhp so no need to upgrade injectors
the fuel pump however is marginal especially if you track the car and like to run below half a tank so I'd reccommend replacing that as a matter of course
Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #572
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Matt, would we need to adjust our tune if we upgraded the fuel pump? Thanks much for the info!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 09-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #573
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
No there's enough capacity in the fuel system to get up to about 320Bhp so no need to upgrade injectors
the fuel pump however is marginal especially if you track the car and like to run below half a tank so I'd reccommend replacing that as a matter of course
@mkivsoopra @RehabJeff86 Is this why you guys fuel starve and I dont?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #574
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
@mkivsoopra @RehabJeff86 Is this why you guys fuel starve and I dont?
What fuel pump are you using?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT