follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Xevuhtess7

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valve spring recall required for renewing registration

I found out today I cannot renew the registration on my 2013 until the J02 recall is performed. This was a surprise to me.... I thought it wouldn't be a blocking issue until the first smog test is required (a couple yrs from now). PSA in case you didn't know!
Xevuhtess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Really curious, is J02 recall having done still risky? I'm looking at buying a car and trying to decide if I shouldn't look at 2013 models at all.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7 View Post
I found out today I cannot renew the registration on my 2013 until the J02 recall is performed. This was a surprise to me.... I thought it wouldn't be a blocking issue until the first smog test is required (a couple yrs from now). PSA in case you didn't know!
Interesting. How were you informed? Did they not issue tags or was it on your reg renewal notice?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
Really curious, is J02 recall having done still risky? I'm looking at buying a car and trying to decide if I shouldn't look at 2013 models at all.
Yes, it is. Look 2015+ if possible. Way less issue

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
Xevuhtess7

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My renewal notice looks normal. When I tried to pay on the dmv website it errored saying "the status has changed". So I went to AAA (thankfully instead of the dmv) and they looked it up on their system and said it is due to emissions recall, which I am sure is J02 unless there is another emissions recall active I'm not aware of. I can pay the fee now, but won't get tags until the recall is performed.

I decided to non-op because it's track only and I have a truck for towing. I have intake/exhaust, flashed, and partially stripped interior w/ roll bar+seat so i'm hesitant a dealer would give me support if I had issues post-recall (or even perform the recall at all). Time to get cozy with the local u-haul rental spot....
Xevuhtess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Yes, it is. Look 2015+ if possible. Way less issue
Thanks. Had a 2013 that I bought new but only kept it for about a year so no idea that they had these issues.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Can anyone with a 2013 confirm if this is J02?

Looks like OP took an educated guess (which I am thankful for,) but if anyone else has experienced this, some kind of confirmation would be extremely helpful.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The paperwork said you'd have to do it to register. Then you can't register when you haven't done it.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
What exactly do you have to submit to the DMV for proof? That salmon-coloured proof of recall slip filled out by the dealer? I still haven't had the recall yet, but I guess I'll have to. I'll have to get the supercharger removed and the engine returned to stock before the dealer will accept it, unfortunately. This is turning out to be a big PITA.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
What exactly do you have to submit to the DMV for proof? That salmon-coloured proof of recall slip filled out by the dealer? I still haven't had the recall yet, but I guess I'll have to. I'll have to get the supercharger removed and the engine returned to stock before the dealer will accept it, unfortunately. This is turning out to be a big PITA.

I got the J02 recall performed and the servicing dealer will submit a certificate that you have gotten the recall performed to the DMV. I also asked for a physical copy of the certificate stating my vehicle had gotten the recall done.

The recall isn't as bad as it sounds. If you research and find a dealership who has performed a good amount of the J02 recalls and hasn't had any major engine failures as a result you will likely be okay. Trouble comes when you take your car to a subpar dealership and folks who haven't done any or just a few j02 recalls attempt to perform the job without the proper experience or training. It can appear that it is very dangerous to have done by how many people report failures on the forum but know for every major failure following the recall there is a good amount of twins that had the recall done with no problems, folks with no issues mostly don't come on a forum to say, "no issues". Where as we see new members signing up just to post about their J02 issues which can make things seem skewed.

I suggest you research the dealership your bringing it to thoroughly, there are threads on this forum that outline the best way to go about getting it done to ensure the best possible outcome.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
shiumai (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
If you research and find a dealership who has performed a good amount of the J02 recalls and hasn't had any major engine failures as a result you will likely be okay.

I trust my dealership to perform the recall. The PITA part is that they won't perform it unless the engine is returned to stock, so I have to get my edelbrock supercharger removed, and everything back to stock. This is $$$ is wasn't planning on spending. And if I want to re-install the supercharger, it's more $$$ again. Then, if anything happens to the engine, the dealer will blame the supercharger even if it's they're fault. I f I lived in another state, at least I'd have the option of not performing the recall.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #12
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I trust my dealership to perform the recall. The PITA part is that they won't perform it unless the engine is returned to stock, so I have to get my edelbrock supercharger removed, and everything back to stock. This is $$$ is wasn't planning on spending. And if I want to re-install the supercharger, it's more $$$ again. Then, if anything happens to the engine, the dealer will blame the supercharger even if it's they're fault. I f I lived in another state, at least I'd have the option of not performing the recall.
So confirmation would be good that the exhaust repair OP referred to was for certain J02.

Also, if the above turns out to be confirmed true, anyone have an idea what kind of proof would the DMV accept if you had the J02 fixed by a non-dealership mechanic?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I got the J02 recall performed and the servicing dealer will submit a certificate that you have gotten the recall performed to the DMV. I also asked for a physical copy of the certificate stating my vehicle had gotten the recall done.

The recall isn't as bad as it sounds. If you research and find a dealership who has performed a good amount of the J02 recalls and hasn't had any major engine failures as a result you will likely be okay. Trouble comes when you take your car to a subpar dealership and folks who haven't done any or just a few j02 recalls attempt to perform the job without the proper experience or training. It can appear that it is very dangerous to have done by how many people report failures on the forum but know for every major failure following the recall there is a good amount of twins that had the recall done with no problems, folks with no issues mostly don't come on a forum to say, "no issues". Where as we see new members signing up just to post about their J02 issues which can make things seem skewed.

I suggest you research the dealership your bringing it to thoroughly, there are threads on this forum that outline the best way to go about getting it done to ensure the best possible outcome.

The point is that this is complete bullshit, because this type of a recall shouldn't be classified as "emissions related". I believe it's some sort of cahoots that the dealers are in with the DMV in order to bring more "business" to both parties.

The fact that this is such a hugely invasive engine out procedure means that it should be up to the discretion of the car owner if they want to have it done or not. I should be able to sign off on a piece of paper that says I choose not to have it done, and therefore if I suffer any engine failure as a result of not doing so I won't hold the dealership accountable.

In no way is this an "emissions related" type of recall. That part if it is complete bullshit and is just a means to attempt to force people to have this fucked up invasive work done to their engine that is completely healthy and in no need of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
shiumai (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
The point is that this is complete bullshit, because this type of a recall shouldn't be classified as "emissions related". I believe it's some sort of cahoots that the dealers are in with the DMV in order to bring more "business" to both parties.

The fact that this is such a hugely invasive engine out procedure means that it should be up to the discretion of the car owner if they want to have it done or not. I should be able to sign off on a piece of paper that says I choose not to have it done, and therefore if I suffer any engine failure as a result of not doing so I won't hold the dealership accountable.

In no way is this an "emissions related" type of recall. That part if it is complete bullshit and is just a means to attempt to force people to have this fucked up invasive work done to their engine that is completely healthy and in no need of it.
At this point, i think I've seen as many "car is dead from broken valve spring" posts as I've seen "car is dead after dealer repair" posts. I bet that's going to go more and more towards the valve spring side in the future.

I also get your frustration. You don't want anybody fucking up your car.

Meanwhile, go talk to Chase at Toyota One of Oakland. Ask him how many failures they had. Ask him about coverage if there's a failure. Ask him about which mechanic will do the repair, and what their experience is.

In the end, you can run without the fix, just paying your fees, and maybe get nailed for tags. Then again, I ran 1.5 years with expired tags recently, because the DMV never accepted proof of insurance. Idiots. Now I have tags again, though. Yay!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote