follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #169
lMonsterl

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_KOTO View Post
toyota have that IOS7 fix with bespoke and for free.
What was this issue with ios 7?
lMonsterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #170
FRS_KOTO

Drives: Raven
Garage
there was a firmware update on the bespoke radio for ios7 and they have to replace to fix it.
FRS_KOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #171
lMonsterl

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_KOTO View Post
there was a firmware update on the bespoke radio for ios7 and they have to replace to fix it.
Mine was working with ios 7 from dealer, so I was curious how it wasnt working. Didn't know if they possibly upgraded it before I got it or not.

Thanks!
lMonsterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #172
Seabass429

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread now. So based on from what I have read from all you lovely people leads me to believe that I need to downgrade my iphone 5 to a 4 or 4s to get the nav to work? I can't even find the Bespoke app through the app store on my iphone5. I'm going to try to get it from the app store on my computer when I get home.
Seabass429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #173
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Update. Before my warranty expires in six months I am making one final effort to get Scion to assist me in enabling navigation in my car, which I thought I was getting back in June 2012 when the Bespoke head unit was first released.

This is getting tied up in several warranty issues, and this was the least of the three, but now the other two have been taken care of and this is the last nagging issue that drives me crazy with this car. (I just learned to ignore all the creaks and pops while I drive)

Basically, Scion is still sticking to the story that they are "investigating" a fix for anyone who was dumb enough to upgrade from their iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5.

Today I was told that they can't help me. I offered an alternative, that I purchase the newer Bespoke head unit and they could trade me my old one for the navigation add-on unit. Then I would finally have the functionality that was sold to me 2 1/2 years ago.

Their response was that they don't know if the new head unit will work in my 2013 FR-S and that it is my responsibility to work with a Scion dealership to determine that before we can continue. Are you serious? 1) the car hasn't changed, so of course it will work and 2) you guys ARE SCION! Why should I have to question some service guy... seems really strange.

So of course, I call one dealership and the service guy tells me he has to tear my dashboard apart in order to give me an answer. Dealership number two doesn't know and transfers me to parts, who doesn't know and transfers me to service. (sigh) Dealership number three has a computer issue, but tells me that he is pretty sure that it will work. Finally I find a guy online who is selling the new head units and nav units and tells me that yes, they will work. He doesn't work at Toyota, but he used to. Go figure.

So I fired off an email to my Scion Corporate rep... then noticed that at the bottom of her email, under her signature, there is fine print that says she can only be reached by phone and that she will not receive replies to the email. For friggin sake... so the saga continues.

Quote:
Angelica,

Thank you gain for putting up with me today. In my opinion, this Bespoke radio issue seems like a major oversight by Toyota and affects every early adopter who purchased an early 2013 FR-S with the first generation Bespoke head unit.

When I bought the car I was told by the Gresham Scion salesperson that I could upgrade the ugly base radio to a touch screen unit with navigation. The reality was that while I did get the touch screen, the navigation was not part of the unit itself, but a clunky iPhone app. Of course, that is moot because just months after buying the car the iPhone 5 was released and along with it came the new Lightning Cable which doesn't work with the 1st-gen Bespoke. In addition, the AUX input built into my dashboard also was rendered inoperable by the Bespoke upgrade. Essentially, the hundreds I spent to gain navigation were wasted.
http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/83646...lity_Chart.pdf

I understand that Scion tries to stay current on technology. There has been no visible attempt by Scion to bring a solution to this issue to Bespoke v1 owners. This issue surfaced in October 2012, over two years ago. The only solution I have been presented is that I must DOWNGRADE my phone to an iPhone 4S. That is not a reasonable solution, being forced to use a phone that is two generations antiquated.

I did some research today after I got off the phone with you. First of all, every single Scion FR-S starting mid-2013MY (and continuing today) came with the 2nd-gen Bespoke touchscreen.
http://www.scion.com/BeSpoke/features/

In addition, the navigation add-on unit (PT296-00142) is available to add navigation capability and apparently does not need a 3rd-party app to do so.

Now, because I was told by the salesperson that I was buying navigation I believe that it is the dealership's responsibility to make this right. Unfortunately, my saleperson no longer works there, ownership of the entire dealership has changed hands and the service department has proven themselves to be incompetent when it comes to anything more technical than an oil change (see my initial email for more information on that).

The fact is that Scion promoted this head unit as having navigation when it did not. At this point I am willing to purchase the new Bespoke head unit myself but I feel that Scion should allow me to trade my current Bespoke head unit for the navigation add-on unit.

Thank you for your time,

Darren

I realize now that I was wrong about all FR-S's coming with the Bespoke as standard equipment, they still come with the ugly non-touchscreen radio, but it doesn't matter, the email went to nowhere anyway.

So I wait for her to call me back tomorrow. I am not going to let this go until I get the nav I paid for or Scion stops taking my calls.

DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #174
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
Friday: I was on an important call when I recognized the Scion number beeping in, but I couldn't swap over to take the call. Two minutes later I called Angelica back, but was told that she was not available and would call me back within one business day.

Monday: I received a call from a new Scion representative who had no idea what was going on. My issues were first handled by Clayton, who was very professional and responsive, but out for a few days so Angelica had temporarily taken over the case. When I told this new person that I didn't want to start over from the beginning and that I would prefer to wait for Clayton or Angelica, she told me that Clayton no longer worked there. (sigh) I was told that Angelica would definitely call me back the next day.

Tuesday: No call from Scion.

Wednesday: Left another message for Angelica with another representative. This new (4th? 5th?) representative asked me if this call was about a new issue as my case had been closed. CLOSED!?! This is getting truly ridiculous.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #175
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Garage
I merged the three Bespoke threads as per @DarrenDriven's request.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #176
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Scion isn't going to do anything about this. Ever.
Haha, just saw this post from Dec 2012. Prolly true.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (12-17-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #177
Paiser

Drives: Scion FR-S Monogram (Whiteout)
I didn't expect this response, and hopefully the next model will have something better, but for most of us (I assume) that was forced with this navigation system can only dream that they would do more then this. Like I said, I hope they would resolve this issue, but at least we can say that, "It stopped with us."

Recently you contacted Scion Customer Experience. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Distress of Bespoke unit on my FR-S

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Mick C.) 12/19/2014
Dear passer (I used my real name but I'm not showing it here):

Thank you for contacting Scion.

We are very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with design/functionality of the BeSpoke system in your 2014 Scion FR-S.

Toyota made a design and marketing and decision on how to equip the FR-S, however the rationale behind the decision is privy to Toyota.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

We appreciate your feedback about the BeSpoke system in your vehicle and documented it at our National Headquarters, where it remains available to the appropriate parties. It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers and are able to review and improve our products and make them more competitive.

We are happy to hear that you enjoy other aspects of your vehicle.

If you have any further questions or comments, call us toll free at 1-866-70-SCION or by email at scion.com.

Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,

Mick C.
Scion Customer Experience

Customer By Web Form (paiser) 12/17/2014
Dear, whomever it concerns (directly towards the team, group and person)

I am a huge fan of the Toyota GT86, thats why I bought the America's version: FR-S. I love it so much, I waited till the monogram series. I love it so much, I traded a perfectly exquisite Honda Accord 4 door for a 2 door coupe with a manual. I express my opinion of extreme enthusiasm and gratitude.

Now thats out of the way, I want to express my hatred for the bespoke unit. It needs God's help. Yes, it can sync bluetooth to my phone and have map navigation, but its absolute piece of waste fruit that came out of the G.I Tract. Other factory system, like your sister company Toyota has entune system, its a system that works with smartphones - Oh my god, what an idea. Why didn't FR-S come with entune? I could easily switch my music on bluetooth if I had the function to do so, without having to pull over to switch a song on my phone. Your map system is... I'll be kind, its ancient. There's many other things I would like to express about the pioneer bespoke system.

With these few words, I hope I would get a satisfying remark, answer or opinion about my hatred for that rectal entrance on my center piece on my dashboard. Please do not reply with a generic answer stating that you will give me a email to another person or tell me to redirect my response to *blah* person. Your company has the manpower to present my email to who literally needs to see it.

Unsatisfied costumer, paiser.

To the people who brought me, my FR-S. I like to say Merry Christmas and happy holidays, and I love you guys.
Paiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paiser For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #178
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
OK, so Scion finally told me they absolutely will not help me with this. The fact is that when I bought the car I was sold navigation, so I dropped the $850 for it, but my vehicle was not equipped with real navigation. Scion says that this is the dealer's responsibility, not theirs. The fact that Scion drew this out for two years, as they "investigate" a solution is pure BS -- they should have been upfront right off the bat.

So I left a message for the sales manager at Gresham Toyota on Wednesday, no return call 48 hours later. This morning I left a message for the general manager and got a call a few hours later. I explained the situation and I can tell he doesn't want to get involved. He said he would investigate a solution (sound familiar) and get back to me next week

I proposed that I would buy the newer Bespoke head unit and then trade him my old Bespoke for the navigation upgrade package. He already complained that his dealership didn't make any money on the first head unit, so he would lose money if he helped me... but maybe he can get Scion to chip in. Geeezus....
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
Paiser (01-07-2015)

Tags
bespoke