follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #29
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I suspect the PP will be built in the factory. Otherwise you'd have wheels, shocks and brakes being cast aside. Toyota/TRD treats their upgrades as accessories which are port installed.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #30
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfri View Post
I imagine that since it has different wheels it will be factory installed. I can't imagine they would ship the cars with stock wheels or steelies then just throw them away or ship them back after the new ones are installed.
You are probably correct, I couldn't change my order and just add the PP. I had to re-order the car so they are not treating this as an accessory.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
Aww why do you have to shoot down the knowledge that my dealer has bestowed upon me every time. That's the last time i regurgitate dealer info on this forum!

Probably not true.. I will regurgitate info somewhere on this forum within the next hour for sure.
LOL Dealers (especially salesmen) will feed you a line of shit without even hesitating. In fairness they may think that what they are saying is true but frequently it is either way out dated info or something straight out of their training materials. If they don't have what you want on the lot then their job becomes one of keeping you hyped while stalling you long enough to get one. If they are really good at that job you will never even notice that they are spinning a tale.

I have worked in the Tier One auto parts manufacturing business for almost 30 years and laugh my ass off at some of the pure fiction that salesmen at dealerships have tried to tell me. I usually just smile and nod a lot when I deal with them since calling them out serves no benefit.
Zaku (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfri View Post
I imagine that since it has different wheels it will be factory installed. I can't imagine they would ship the cars with stock wheels or steelies then just throw them away or ship them back after the new ones are installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
I suspect the PP will be built in the factory. Otherwise you'd have wheels, shocks and brakes being cast aside.
You would be shocked at what can be port installed and the parts do not get "cast aside" they are sold through several different places. I do not claim to understand the way it all works but it has something to do with import approvals and tariffs. Even if they did throw the parts out it is probably cheaper for them in the long run.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #33
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The manufactures stopped batch building years ago. Computerized sequencing did away with all the benefits of batch builds and it is actually cheaper and more efficient to run everything at the same time now.

Not sure if the PP will be a factory installed option anyway. My guess is that it will be port installed which will actually add time to the delivery. The RS1 was not delivered with the body kit and such on it they were added at port (someplace there is a picture of them all sitting in a yard without the kit waiting for shipping).

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5200/7...25ae4deb_c.jpg
I was told it's a factory installed option. They replace the struts, wheels and brakes (calipers and discs) for the PP.
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
I was told it's a factory installed option. They replace the struts, wheels and brakes (calipers and discs) for the PP.
Could be. I don't claim too know. But I still suspect it will be port installed. If the salesman told you that it is probably because they have no clue what is port installed and since it shows up there that way it must be factory.

I am not making this shit up!

"At the opposite end of the shop, another set of workers unbolted the factory-installed wheels from a 4Runner and replaced them with alloy rims. In the next shop, teams installed wheel locks, bumper protectors, body moldings and a variety of exterior items, including a clear film that helps to prevent paint chips on front ends. Nearby, two workers used a metal fixture to determine where to drill holes before bolting a roof rack on an S.U.V."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/au...ches.html?_r=0

http://www.autonews.com/article/2000...ships-in-sight

I know that the concept seems strange to those not in the business but there are many valid reasons why they use port installation. Fair explanation of why the port installed makes economic sense here:

http://www.accessmagazine.org/wp-con...utomobiles.pdf

Last edited by Tcoat; 10-17-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
deejaylew (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #35
Drambeenie

Quote:
Could be. I don't claim too know. But I still suspect it will be port installed. If the salesman told you that it is probably because they have no clue what is port installed and since it shows up there that way it must be factory.

I am not making this shit up!

"At the opposite end of the shop, another set of workers unbolted the factory-installed wheels from a 4Runner and replaced them with alloy rims. In the next shop, teams installed wheel locks, bumper protectors, body moldings and a variety of exterior items, including a clear film that helps to prevent paint chips on front ends. Nearby, two workers used a metal fixture to determine where to drill holes before bolting a roof rack on an S.U.V."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/au...ches.html?_r=0

http://www.autonews.com/article/2000...ships-in-sight

I know that the concept seems strange to those not in the business but there are many valid reasons why they use port installation. Fair explanation of why the port installed makes economic sense here:

http://www.accessmagazine.org/wp-con...utomobiles.pdf
That's crazy!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
That's crazy!
Welcome to the wonderful world of auto manufacturing!
There is way more going on behind the scenes then most people would ever guess.
Zaku (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #37
Tcoat

Ahhhhh there we go.
RS 1.0s leaving Japan. No side skirts or spoilers, stock front bumper, and more importantly single tip stock exhausts and stock lower bumper and exhaust cut outs. All that and way more that isn't visible was changed at port in the US.

Last edited by Tcoat; 10-17-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
DatsunDimer (10-17-2016), Zaku (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #38
prj3ctm4yh3m

Drives: CRV AWD 5MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You would be shocked at what can be port installed and the parts do not get "cast aside" they are sold through several different places. I do not claim to understand the way it all works but it has something to do with import approvals and tariffs. Even if they did throw the parts out it is probably cheaper for them in the long run.
brake bleeders?
alignment racks?
prj3ctm4yh3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m View Post
brake bleeders?
alignment racks?
The facility (ies since there are a few) is/are the size of good size plants. In the articles I linked (which are actually pretty old) they even speak to painting whole cars two tone. They could probably build a whole car from the ground up in those places. I think you may have been picturing a little two car bay or something when really they are the size of a couple of football fields.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #40
Drambeenie

Quote:
Ahhhhh there we go.
RS 1.0s leaving Japan. No side skirts or spoilers, stock front bumper, and more importantly single tip stock exhausts and stock lower bumper and exhaust cut outs. All that and way more that isn't visible was changed at port in the US.

That shit cray!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #41
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ahhhhh there we go.

Spoilers and other exterior components I can understand. The ND Miata Club gets it's spoilers etc. added at port. If it has BBS/Brembos with Bilstein shocks that come from the factory already installed.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Spoilers and other exterior components I can understand. The ND Miata Club gets it's spoilers etc. added at port. If it has BBS/Brembos with Bilstein shocks that come from the factory already installed.
Mazda uses a different import system than Toyota so what they do means nothing. The change in brakes is no different than swapping the exhaust and lowering springs on the RS1. The guys at the post facility do it every bloody day and it would take them minutes.
Like I have already said there is some import regulation that they do this for.
I don't get why everybody is so resistant to this very simple concept. It is an extremely common process.
Everybody believe or disbelieve me as you wish but I am not talking out of my ass on this.

You all just listen to your salesmen and their wonderful insight into the manufacturing end of things!
Zaku (10-17-2016)

Tags
2017, brz, delivery, package, performance