follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can always get more selling it yourself, but unless you really really want to work hard at it or the dealer is being an ass you won't get too much more.

Remember before you take the car in to be traded to clean the every living heck out of it and detail it inside and out. That can raise the price a few thousand. And I agree check out carmax, they price the cars they sell best, if your area sells them you might get a great offer.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #16
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Get a WRX.

- negotiate the price of the new car
-then, negotiate the trade, go to carmax to get a rough estimate
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #17
one2onejackpot

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It really depends on how much the dealer is offering you. They won't offer you as much, but you since the trade amount is deducted from the purchase of the new car before taxes are applied, you'll save that way. Just do your research on how much the comps are going for your car, tell the dealer you're not going to trade, get the numbers negotiated and then tell them maybe you'll trade in the car and have them make you an offer. Since they've already put in the legwork to make the sale and you've done your pricing homework, you can counter their trade offer. The BRZ is my 9th car. I got 9K selling my 2007 Camry V6 SE with with only 42,000 miles on it, because I got an appraisal from Carmax first and the Subaru dealership couldn't even come close to offering me that much since they don't have a nationwide dealership like Carmax. Either way, you'll have the comps, you'll already know what Carmax will offer you, and you'll have your deal set up with the salesman before you even talk about a trade in. I got more selling my Scion tC privately. And I saved more trading in my Mitsubishi Eclipse because the tax savings added as being in my favor even though the offer was less. Plus, if you "don't have a trade-in" and want to finance the new car, you can usually get a much better finance rate since the salesman wants to make his spiff on top of what ever commission for the sale. Play the long game and keep your cards close to your chest. Also, see if you can figure out how long the car has been on the lot. The dealership is having to pay finance fees to the manufacture, plus insurance, so the longer the car sits there the more they lose. Plus, besides what the dealers cost on the vehicle which is way less than MSRP, they usually get a manufacture incentive on top of the sale. I've paid well bellow MSRP for all my cars. When I was buying my BRZ, 3 other dealers were blowing up my phone trying to sell me one as I negotiating with the salesman. I put it on speaker.

My 2016 Subaru BRZ Series.HyperBlue Build
one2onejackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #18
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Salesman have nothing to do with selling price or the financing of the deal.....
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Depending on your location if you're on the west coast LA or SF or DC area east.

You should consider using Shift, they are a great service and could be beneficial to your situation.

Here's an article on them

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/this-o...ord-1768677335

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #20
Amillionoh7

Drives: 13' Raven FRS n 92 Camaro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
when I took my audi s4 "heavily modified" in to the dealership to trade it in the salesman told me to sell it private. He said the modified cars just go to auction and dont bring as much money.
Amillionoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amillionoh7 For This Useful Post:
krayzie (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Salesman have nothing to do with selling price or the financing of the deal.....
that's not always true. Yes, if you get someone who hasn't done it for long and doesn't really know what is going on then you are right. But you wouldn't want to talk to that guy for any reason anyways.

However if you get someone that's been selling cars for more than a decade, they actually have a clue and the dealership they work at absolutely can let them do it all. Every dealership at its core has 2 or 3 people that are lifers that can literally do everything and because the dealership desperately needs them to sell their products they will do anything to keep them. Those are the people you want to talk to because not only can they give you the best deal but they can make everything easy and will have the ability and the desire to both give you a great deal and make the transaction quick and painless for everyone.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
that's not always true. Yes, if you get someone who hasn't done it for long and doesn't really know what is going on then you are right. But you wouldn't want to talk to that guy for any reason anyways.

However if you get someone that's been selling cars for more than a decade, they actually have a clue and the dealership they work at absolutely can let them do it all. Every dealership at its core has 2 or 3 people that are lifers that can literally do everything and because the dealership desperately needs them to sell their products they will do anything to keep them. Those are the people you want to talk to because not only can they give you the best deal but they can make everything easy and will have the ability and the desire to both give you a great deal and make the transaction quick and painless for everyone.

There is always a hierarchy. The salesman you are face to face with will not be in charge of numbers or financing terms. They will not be talking to banks and getting you the deal. They are a mouthpiece to get you on a vehicle and figure out what you need in a vehicle. All terms and conditions are worked through a manager who talks to the banks, and then a finance person who will also talk with a bank and sign the paperwork / sell you backend products.

People think the salesperson has some kind of authority, they don't. The vehicle pricing and working numbers is not in their hands. The only time I have ever seen a salesman have some kind of authority over pricing was when he was also the internet manager. So he did everything before the finance person did paperwork and signed documents, and that was a little dealership to begin with.

Have you ever worked in car sales?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
why?

Quote:
There is always a hierarchy. The salesman you are face to face with will not be in charge of numbers or financing terms. They will not be talking to banks and getting you the deal. They are a mouthpiece to get you on a vehicle and figure out what you need in a vehicle. All terms and conditions are worked through a manager who talks to the banks, and then a finance person who will also talk with a bank and sign the paperwork / sell you backend products.

People think the salesperson has some kind of authority, they don't. The vehicle pricing and working numbers is not in their hands. The only time I have ever seen a salesman have some kind of authority over pricing was when he was also the internet manager. So he did everything before the finance person did paperwork and signed documents, and that was a little dealership to begin with.

Have you ever worked in car sales?
Again that is just not true. Some dealerships do it that way, but not all of them. Some dealerships also understand they can give the people that have been doing this a decade a lot more leniency and let them do everything their own way. A smart dealership is going to handle the sales person that is always top 3 or 4 in sales month after month, year after year, a lot differently then they are going to handle someone who has only been selling cars a few months and is just getting their feet wet. And if they don't do that they are morons.

Yes most dealerships will handle most walk ins like you mentioned. However if you don't want that normal bs all you need to do is talk to the host and tell them to let you talk to the highest grossing salesperson because you want a quick sale and you know exactly what you want. Sometimes you can go through the internet sales person or the fleet salesperson to get a similar type of deal.

And while I did try my hand at actually selling cars, I have a lot experience being around the industry and I've been able to see a lot of different things first hand for various reasons, whether it be friends with top salespeople or people who actually negotiate car purchases for clients, among other things like going to used car auctions with people just for fun.

The biggest problem dealerships have is a massively gigantic turnover rate. Dealing with a lifer can be night and day difference compared to dealing with a hack at the same dealership on the same day. A lifer can know exactly what his sales manager would say, can even know exactly what the sales manager will do on most cars on the lot. At the dealership I worked at the top 3 sales people were always the top 3 sales people and could write a deal they knew without question the sales manager would simply rubber stamp and would walk into the finance office with the customer and would walk them through that process as well. One of them never took walk ins because he had no use for them, he had his base of people and he'd been at the dealership so long he could remain one of the best salesmen without ever taking a new person.

There are tons of ways of manipulating the process depending on what your goals are. The reason most sales people suck is the exact same reason true car can make a business of porking everyone and pretending they are giving people a good deal. People don't like conflict and don't want to fight and learn everything once a decade or so.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
Sounds like good advice. Are you sure about the dealer being ok with painted lights? Never seen a Subaru dealership sell any modded cars ever, could be my area though.

Can anyone else chime in?
Not sure if you got more answers as I haven't read the whole thread.

But, I just traded in my FRS two weeks ago and it had blacked out headlight reflectors as well tail lights. They shouldn't care.

Trade in value is pretty good on these cars, at least where I live. You also get tax savings when you trade it in. Selling private party will almost always yield more, but it might take a while. Just have to weigh the cost/benefit/time factors and see which is best for you.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #25
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Again that is just not true. Some dealerships do it that way, but not all of them. Some dealerships also understand they can give the people that have been doing this a decade a lot more leniency and let them do everything their own way. A smart dealership is going to handle the sales person that is always top 3 or 4 in sales month after month, year after year, a lot differently then they are going to handle someone who has only been selling cars a few months and is just getting their feet wet. And if they don't do that they are morons.

Yes most dealerships will handle most walk ins like you mentioned. However if you don't want that normal bs all you need to do is talk to the host and tell them to let you talk to the highest grossing salesperson because you want a quick sale and you know exactly what you want. Sometimes you can go through the internet sales person or the fleet salesperson to get a similar type of deal.

And while I did try my hand at actually selling cars, I have a lot experience being around the industry and I've been able to see a lot of different things first hand for various reasons, whether it be friends with top salespeople or people who actually negotiate car purchases for clients, among other things like going to used car auctions with people just for fun.

The biggest problem dealerships have is a massively gigantic turnover rate. Dealing with a lifer can be night and day difference compared to dealing with a hack at the same dealership on the same day. A lifer can know exactly what his sales manager would say, can even know exactly what the sales manager will do on most cars on the lot. At the dealership I worked at the top 3 sales people were always the top 3 sales people and could write a deal they knew without question the sales manager would simply rubber stamp and would walk into the finance office with the customer and would walk them through that process as well. One of them never took walk ins because he had no use for them, he had his base of people and he'd been at the dealership so long he could remain one of the best salesmen without ever taking a new person.

There are tons of ways of manipulating the process depending on what your goals are. The reason most sales people suck is the exact same reason true car can make a business of porking everyone and pretending they are giving people a good deal. People don't like conflict and don't want to fight and learn everything once a decade or so.

You're definitely giving salesman, and dealerships in general too much credit. There is always a hierarchy, period. Yes senior salesman generally have more leeway when it comes to talking to the desk, but the desk still puts together the deal. The goal of the salesman is the product, the goal of the desk is the money (dealership wants to make money BTW), and the goal of the finance manager is to sell backend products and paperwork. I think being in sales, and doing it gives a different perspective from working in the dealership in any other position.

Also, I never said anything about walk-in customers.

Caveat* Owner operated / buy here pay here / certain small volume dealers may be different.... I'm strictly talking about the average dealership here.

Last edited by Summerwolf; 10-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
why?

Quote:
You're definitely giving salesman, and dealerships in general too much credit. There is always a hierarchy, period. Yes senior salesman generally have more leeway when it comes to talking to the desk, but the desk still puts together the deal. The goal of the salesman is the product, the goal of the desk is the money (dealership wants to make money BTW), and the goal of the finance manager is to sell backend products and paperwork. I think being in sales, and doing it gives a different perspective from working in the dealership in any other position.

Also, I never said anything about walk-in customers.

Caveat* Owner operated / buy here pay here / certain small volume dealers may be different.... I'm strictly talking about the average dealership here.
i'm not giving anyone too much credit. Most people trying to sell cars suck. Most dealerships have no clue what they are doing.

Sales people don't need to know product. They need to know how to sell, and they need to know their inventory. Anything else can be looked up. There is a reason the title is sales person.

I've never been to any dealership that did not have the salesperson start the deal, and have a sales manager okay it or maybe step in to finish the deal. I've also never been to any decent dealership that did not have the sales people on pure commission, so believe me they care about the deal. I've been to many different dealerships and seen quite a few deals done.

I've never heard of any concept of anything called "the desk." You must be referring to something at a tiny dealership. At most dealerships. even the largest, sales people are grouped into teams under a sales manager. The sales manager has final say. That is the only hierarchy in most dealerships. There can be many managers at a dealership depending on how large it is, but they always have the final say on a deal. The sales managers can report to a number of different titled people depending on how a dealership is organized, from a general manager to someone who just oversees the sales people to the owner. It varies.

Now a smart sales manager knows who his best sales people are, because they are the ones that make their paycheck get bigger. That is just common sense. They also know the people that don't really need much help and know what they are doing. A sales manager wants to not get involved, because that means cars are being sold for higher prices and that makes everyone happy. And in all honesty a sales manager is usually worse at negotiating than their best sales people. Because if they weren't they'd still be on the sales floor. They are there just to make sure the sales person doesn't screw up, and to make sure everyone sells enough cars. They also need to keep in mind all the other bonuses each sales person can get, and they themselves can get, and then that the dealership can get. Because at each level there is a modifier and bonuses for selling specific number of cars.

Finance people are on commission as well. Every thing they sell can be negotiated, people sometimes do not realize this. They can also lose sales for sales people by being jerks. This is why good sales people want as little to do with them as possible. This is why a sales person who sells a ton of cars will walk in with the customer.

Walk ins are how most car sales are started. That is how dealerships are set up. It literally means people that walk in cold from off the street. A good salesperson still probably won't get the sale that day. I forget the specific number, but I know less than 50% of people who walk in dealerships buy the same day. This is where salespeople fail the most. They never follow up. A good sales person will follow up every week with everyone he has met with until they've bought a car. This is how a lot of sales are really made. And the smart salesperson will give people honest advice even if that leads the customer to buy from somewhere else, because those people will always remember that. Dealerships really really suck at teaching people how to sell and what that really means.

Even as a person who never sold cars before, I was told to start the deal and start the negotiations. This was literally the only real training they gave me, how to structure the deals they wanted. Only after I'd spent some time negotiating was I even allowed to bring it to the attention of the sales manager. As I said before, I've never seen any dealership operate any other way. I've seen people negotiate with salesmen for 4+ hours haggling prices down and down and only at the very end when it was obvious we were going to walk did the sales manager step in.

So like I've been saying it isn't as cut and dry as you said. Smart sales managers know their people. That is the point of having them there.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
i'm not giving anyone too much credit. Most people trying to sell cars suck. Most dealerships have no clue what they are doing.

Sales people don't need to know product. They need to know how to sell, and they need to know their inventory. Anything else can be looked up. There is a reason the title is sales person.

I've never been to any dealership that did not have the salesperson start the deal, and have a sales manager okay it or maybe step in to finish the deal. I've also never been to any decent dealership that did not have the sales people on pure commission, so believe me they care about the deal. I've been to many different dealerships and seen quite a few deals done.

I've never heard of any concept of anything called "the desk." You must be referring to something at a tiny dealership. At most dealerships. even the largest, sales people are grouped into teams under a sales manager. The sales manager has final say. That is the only hierarchy in most dealerships. There can be many managers at a dealership depending on how large it is, but they always have the final say on a deal. The sales managers can report to a number of different titled people depending on how a dealership is organized, from a general manager to someone who just oversees the sales people to the owner. It varies.

Now a smart sales manager knows who his best sales people are, because they are the ones that make their paycheck get bigger. That is just common sense. They also know the people that don't really need much help and know what they are doing. A sales manager wants to not get involved, because that means cars are being sold for higher prices and that makes everyone happy. And in all honesty a sales manager is usually worse at negotiating than their best sales people. Because if they weren't they'd still be on the sales floor. They are there just to make sure the sales person doesn't screw up, and to make sure everyone sells enough cars. They also need to keep in mind all the other bonuses each sales person can get, and they themselves can get, and then that the dealership can get. Because at each level there is a modifier and bonuses for selling specific number of cars.

Finance people are on commission as well. Every thing they sell can be negotiated, people sometimes do not realize this. They can also lose sales for sales people by being jerks. This is why good sales people want as little to do with them as possible. This is why a sales person who sells a ton of cars will walk in with the customer.

Walk ins are how most car sales are started. That is how dealerships are set up. It literally means people that walk in cold from off the street. A good salesperson still probably won't get the sale that day. I forget the specific number, but I know less than 50% of people who walk in dealerships buy the same day. This is where salespeople fail the most. They never follow up. A good sales person will follow up every week with everyone he has met with until they've bought a car. This is how a lot of sales are really made. And the smart salesperson will give people honest advice even if that leads the customer to buy from somewhere else, because those people will always remember that. Dealerships really really suck at teaching people how to sell and what that really means.

Even as a person who never sold cars before, I was told to start the deal and start the negotiations. This was literally the only real training they gave me, how to structure the deals they wanted. Only after I'd spent some time negotiating was I even allowed to bring it to the attention of the sales manager. As I said before, I've never seen any dealership operate any other way. I've seen people negotiate with salesmen for 4+ hours haggling prices down and down and only at the very end when it was obvious we were going to walk did the sales manager step in.

So like I've been saying it isn't as cut and dry as you said. Smart sales managers know their people. That is the point of having them there.

The desk is what the sales manager sits at, where the deals are made. Sorry for using common terms. You literally just expounded the hierarchy I described. Point is, salesman have no power over ultimate pricing of a vehicle.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #28
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I have no beef on the BBQ here, but I'll tell you why : Sorry to say any solid/good sales person does know the product (as well as they can know it) , and to compare/contrast that product specs/info against the competition. That is one of the main top-10 main points any successful sales person needs to have under their wing. Period. If they didn't know the product and/or how to accurately respond to a customers question(s) in regards to the product in discussion, then sure they can go "look it up" .... but that takes time, time is money....yada-yada-yada. Think about it.