follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
japes
Fish out of water

Drives: 2016 86 GT White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wheels to go with TRD lowering springs/suspension

I'm looking to drop the car about 3cm, and the goal is to get a perfect flush look on 18" wheels. I'm not looking for anything extreme, and I don't want any problems with rubbing.
So what wheels would fit with these shocks/springs?
If nothing works well, then I can do coilovers but I'm trying to keep everything TRD. The only reason I want more grip is I am planning on boosting it and I thought the TRD wheels wouldn't provide enough grip. Am I wrong about that?
As for wheel recommendations, I'm in Japan so anything by Rays would be best for price/availability. I have no real idea about how to choose appropriate fitment though
Thanks in advance
dchan8 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Check posts 2 and 3 of this thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

It has links to different wheel widths and offsets so you can see how they fit on the car.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
japes
Fish out of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Check posts 2 and 3 of this thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

It has links to different wheel widths and offsets so you can see how they fit on the car.
Thanks, and I have seen it before. Many of those fitments depend on coil overs though. My questions is about what options I have with the TRD springs, not coilovers.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Thanks, and I have seen it before. Many of those fitments depend on coil overs though. My questions is about what options I have with the TRD springs, not coilovers.
18x9 and 18x9.5 benefit from coilovers for clearance reasons. An 18x8+35 would fit regular springs just fine and be right at flush in the front. If you want the same look at the rear, you should either run staggered wheels or spacers in the rear.

Here's a great example of staggered flush fitment. With Rays wheels.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43402
Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
japes
Fish out of water

Quote:
18x9 and 18x9.5 benefit from coilovers for clearance reasons. An 18x8+35 would fit regular springs just fine and be right at flush in the front. If you want the same look at the rear, you should either run staggered wheels or spacers in the rear.

Here's a great example of staggered flush fitment. With Rays wheels.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43402
Wow, what a build! I have been seriously considering those wheels for a while. They look great. I'm just worried about being over my head with more custom setups.

I live in Japan, so the language barrier is difficult. I couldn't begin to discuss the details of camber with a shop guy. So the TRD stuff is attractive. Kinda plug n play. But damn does his car look great.

Keep it simple: If I stole his wheels, would they fit on the TRD suspension?

Last edited by japes; 06-28-2016 at 11:17 PM.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I live in Japan, so the language barrier is difficult. I couldn't begin to discuss the details of camber with a shop guy. So the TRD stuff is attractive. Kinda plug n play. But damn does his car look great
The set you linked to has no camber adjustment at all, so you'll need some sort of adjustability. Camber is incredibly important, because it greatly affects handling. You need to budget for a camber plate or camber bolts. I also didn't see a price listed. More than likely you can get a set of Tein Flex Z, which does have camber adjustment, for less than that set. Or something better. TRD parts tend to be pretty overpriced. You should be able to get Tein and HKS locally, and both brands make very nice coilovers.

And yes, those wheels will fit with springs and struts. When he first installed them he was on Swift springs; he installed the coilovers later.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
japes
Fish out of water

Quote:
The set you linked to has no camber adjustment at all, so you'll need some sort of adjustability. Camber is incredibly important, because it greatly affects handling. You need to budget for a camber plate or camber bolts. I also didn't see a price listed. More than likely you can get a set of Tein Flex Z, which does have camber adjustment, for less than that set. Or something better. TRD parts tend to be pretty overpriced. You should be able to get Tein and HKS locally, and both brands make very nice coilovers.

And yes, those wheels will fit with springs and struts. When he first installed them he was on Swift springs; he installed the coilovers later.
TRD does have a camber set, and it is on the same page i linked. it's called Pillow-Ball Upper Mount Set.

The TRD suspension costs about 2k$ US, or 200000JPY. they are maybe 400$ more than the HKS springs.

For sure, I can get better deals. For me, priority is time on the road, and not in the shop dealing with language barrier. Also, sometimes the wife drives the car and I don't want it to be so aggressive that she cant get groceries in it lol.

TRD also helps with resale value (I've got a 5 year plan on getting a Lotus), so there is that too.

If I can achieve his fitment with the TRD stuff + wheels, it is great for me.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

No matter what you do to the suspension, it'll need an alignment. So it's going to be in the shop no matter what. If you're interested in doing wheels with the same dimensions, offset, and tire sizes, you may want to talk to Shiumai to see if he had to do anything in particular to fit them.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
japes (06-28-2016)

Tags
boost, coilovers, suspension, trd, wheels